Pages

Followers

Monday, May 17, 2010

The Next Step

Most days in the late afternoon I post something on my blog.  Today I feel like there's nothing on my mind worth saying.  Blah, blah, blah.  I suppose most days there's nothing on my mind worth saying and I just say it anyway.  My mother has relayed that as a young toddler I'd walk up and down our narrow sun porch talking nonsense syllables to myself.  I guess things haven't changed much.

Today's biggest news is I got an icom for my hearing aids.  I've been waiting for it for quite awhile and am hopeful that it will be a big help.  I think when people realize how it works, they'll wish that they too had an icom, only for their real ears.  Most people I know don't want hearing aids.  The icom is a device to help you hear your cell phone better by creating a blue tooth connection directly into your hearing aids....cool.  Talk about hands free!  It hangs neatly around your neck.  You can also attach an ipod to it.  I'll have to check that out.

I've had my hearing aids for about 3 months now.  It takes time to get used to them.  At first they made my ears itch and made sounds obnoxiously loud.  I remember the first day I had them I ate potato chips that sounded like the German army was marching around in my mouth.  The audiologist has adjusted the various programs numerous times trying to find the right match for me.  I think we're finally getting close.  When I check in with her she can tell how often I've listened to music, been in difficult noisy situations, been in calm situations....she can even tell how many hours a day on average I'm wearing my aids.....bum, bum, bum....a little big brother going on there.

My friends and acquaintances have been quite interested in my hearing aids, which feels nice.  It is such a drastic switch to have them, that's I find it satisfying when people ask about them.  It is odd to me however that the comment that almost everyone makes is "I can hardly see them."  I would think they might be inclined to wonder how they sound or how much they help me.  Some seem like they'd be embarrassed to wear them; maybe that's why they mention that they're hardly noticeable.  One person commented if I grew my hair a little longer they wouldn't show at all.  I'm like who cares?  I can't hear....I need them.  What if people were ashamed of wearing glasses?  Like jeez...."your glasses are hardly visible.  If you grew your hair out a little more, no one would notice you can't see a friggin' thing."

So off and running with my icom safely secured 'round my neck and ready for the phone calls to come pouring in.  I'm hopeful that I'll no longer have to ask people to repeat things more than once or mistake Don for John, and Ross for Bruce.  I should be able to stop bluffing and trying to capture the essence of meaning through contextual clues....at least on the cell phone anyway.  Wish me luck.  I'm going to need it.

No comments: