Pages

Followers

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Breathe In, Breathe Out

With creativity boot camp finished, today was a day just for me.  I happily wasted inordinate amounts of time and accomplished little other than a nap on the couch, an intense hand washing of my filthy vehicle, a woods walk with my favorite pooch Tula, and my last minute decision to take my folks out to dinner.....an early Father's Day gift....other than that not much happened 'round here.

Without the structure of a prompt or something specific to think about I lacked focus toward a photo subject, but still got out there and took some shots in the morning and again in the afternoon.  Lots of deletes today, but that's OK.  My eye is telling me "that's got to go" more often, and fessin' up that the last couple weeks were really intense.  I felt I was deserved in taking it kind of poky.

I am absolutely in love with these blossoms.  I think they are a type of dogwood.  It amuses me that I've passed this type of tree over and over in my life not noting it.  All of a sudden the flowers' beauty has me awestruck.

I tried to capture these tall grasses without success a few weeks back.  I love the way they dance on a breezy day.  This particular spot on Tula's and my walk is always the windiest.  Welcome in the warmer months and miserable in the winter.  I hope to try again on a day with less intense light.  I wonder how these look in the snow?  I'm sure I'll find out.

Last evening I took this on the way to my friend's house.  The orange glow of the sun was too beautiful not to stop and shoot a few.  Made me a couple minutes later than I should have been, but I like what I caught.

This lone leaf jumped out at me while walking in the woods.  I like how with the sunshine the lines are visible through the leaf's skin.

I love how the sunlight makes the ground cover look all silvery.  I'm 99% sure it was just green.

I can't wait to see how these flowers appear when in full bloom.  In their current feathery state I find them fascinating.  I have no idea if I also caught a spider web or more likely if that's some discharge from the feathery cone shaped bud.

I am NOT a gardener....only things like day lilies, daisies, black eyed Susan's that are guaranteed to come up year after year despite the owner's neglect, disinterest, and ignorance. The great news is there are 3 or 4 farm stands nearby selling lovely colorful annuals and perennials and I can sneak in and photograph their supply.


That little white dot is the moon.  It's one of those evenings when the moon was out before the sun went down.  Keeping in mind that science is my absolute weakest point....maybe that always happens, but tonight I saw it....how about that?

Thanks for stopping by to check on what's happening in my little brain.  Feel free to come back again, as one never knows what waves will be passing through the cerebellum.

1 comment:

Laloofah said...

Though I risk sounding like a broken record (but hey - life's full of risks! Live dangerously!), all your photos are wonderful, as usual! Since I have a to do list longer than I care to think about, however, I'm going to limit my comments to four of them. Okay, four and a half... because I also must comment on how much I enjoyed your caption on the dogwood (?) photo! Isn't it amazing to suddenly realize or notice something that's been right there all along? And your caption reminded me of this great quote from one of my favorite people, Rachel Carson. I'm sharing it here because I think it's not only useful to apply to life in general, but also a great idea for us amateur, budding photographers to keep in mind! ;-)

"One way to open your eyes is to ask yourself,
what if I had never seen this before?
What if I knew I would never see it again?"

I just love your photo of the dancing grasses, in no small part because I think wild grasses are usually unfairly overlooked, and are often such a beautiful part of the landscape. It's always fun to go on hikes with BW, because while I usually know the wildflowers, he usually can identify the grasses (thanks to his ag studies at Texas A&M).

The soft, golden light in the bridge photo and the pretty pink flowers in the foreground are just wonderful. Such a pretty photo! I'm glad you tarried. :-)

I'm utterly intrigued with those feathery pink flowers! Never seen the like before. I hope you'll take a follow-up photo of them in bloom! They're beautiful now, bet they'll be even more gorgeous then! (And nice job catching what I think is a wee spider web!)

Did you realize we both "mooned" one another in recent posts? LOL We have such incredible moon-rises here sometimes, but my photos have never, ever done them justice. Maybe now with my new camera and a tripod....

As for the sun and moon appearing in the daytime sky together, that happens a lot, but it's often hard to see because at those times the moon is in a crescent phase and the sunlight can easily wash it out. When the sun and moon are together in the daytime sky depends on the lunar phase. As the moon is waxing from new to full, it rises along with the sun, later and later each day, and is visible in the daytime sky (but never, in its new moon phase, at night). But by the time it's nearly or completely full, it's made its way to the opposite side of the earth from the sun, rising as the sun sets and setting as the sun rises, which is why you'll never see a full moon in the daytime. Clear as mud? :-) This might help. :-) And that concludes our astronomy lesson (and my comments) for today!