Pages

Followers

Friday, June 11, 2010

Grow (c.b.c. day 5)

Today's topic was the hardest yet.  Grow.  It would have been simple to step outside and shoot a tree, flower, blade of grass or bush....and if I had kids or a puppy or kitten, that would have been an obvious choice.  But this is creativity boot camp for heaven's sake.  I wanted to up the ante and I don't have a puppy.

I walked around my house this morning saying to myself  "grow, grow, grow, grow" poured the coffee, "grow, grow, grow", fed the cat "grow, grow, grow".....you get the idea.  My mind was a blank.  Jeez....I thought picnic was difficult, but grow?

I went off to work still saying "grow" to myself periodically.  While staring at the world on the other side of my office windows, twirling camera in hand, waiting for inspiration, I took a picture of my eyes.  That's when the trouble started.  Within a few minutes I realized that I am what needs to grow, that by participating in this boot camp that I am seeking growth, and that sooner or later...well "grow happens."

So today turned into all about me day, self-portrait day, ego mania day, or however you'd choose to describe it.  Taking a photo of oneself is difficult and I'd never spent time doing so until today.  Whereas when you take a photo of someone or something else you see what you're shooting through the screen or lens, when you are shooting yourself, you're shooting blind.  There were LOTS of deletes today....but plenty that worked too.  Here are some of my personal, personal favorites, if you catch my drift, and also my "grow" story.

Here I am playing with my camera in my office.....grow, grow, grow.  What am I going to do with the word grow?

Then I started my day long journey of taking pictures of me.

I also was thinking about my broken sense of hearing and my sense of sight.  How this week is about looking for "things" and how much I'm enjoying this art that is new to me.  My musician self is floating further and further away, but my visual artist self is beginning to emerge.

Here is a place I'd like less growth, but I like the photo.

What is out there in that great big world for a deaf musician like me?  Maybe beautiful sights.

I recently bought this mirror.  I like the fun colors around the border.  I thought it might be wise for me to see myself surrounded by these positive thoughts and cheery colors.

More of me, me, me.  Diva day...it's all about me well, and grow.

I did a lot of pondering today.  Pondering about my broken ears and my brown eyes and about where I'm going and how I'm going to grow now minus my favorite sense and without my beloved music....
...until suddenly, in my collection of self filled photos, a pattern was developing.

Drawing

Writing and investing

West African drumming

I noticed my hands were often in my photographs, touching the things I like, that I like to do, and helping me express myself.  Hmmm.  Maybe I need to think about all my senses, and my entire being.

 
Growing comes in its own time, in unexpected moments, in life's joys and sorrows....

and in sweet peace each day.

3 comments:

Corinne said...

This was just breathtaking. Lovely :) Every picture added an element and by the end there is this sweetness about all of it. Well done!

Laloofah said...

Happy Friday, Sue!

I really enjoyed your take on the "grow" prompt, and agree with Corinne's comment. But of course I have to add my own to it! :-) Especially about this part...

How this week is about looking for "things" and how much I'm enjoying this art that is new to me.
Your enjoyment of it really shows!

My musician self is floating further and further away, but my visual artist self is beginning to emerge.
I'll say! You have a natural talent that became apparent to me as soon as you started doing the color-a-day posts. I know that you suffered because of the changes in your hearing, and that you're still coming to terms with that loss, but watching your visual talent emerge (perfect word for it!) is gratifying and exciting! I can't help but wonder where it may lead, and it makes me think of this Rumi poem that I hope you don't mind my sharing here...

Sorrow prepares you for joy.
It violently sweeps everything out of your house,
so that new joy can find space to enter.
It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart,
so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place.
It pulls up the rotten roots,
so that new roots hidden beneath have room to grow.
Whatever sorrow shakes from your heart,
far better things will take their place.
-Jalaluddin Rumi (13th century Sufi mystic & poet)


As for my favorite pics, I especially like the photo of your reflection in the happy mojo mirror. :-) I only wish you were smiling - you have such a great, infectious smile - but I suppose your day was too pensive for that! (I was going to say "reflective" but that pun even made me groan! LOL)

I also loved your last two photos and your lovely, insightful observations that accompany them.

And I say, that's the finest looking mousepad I've ever seen! :-)

Have a great weekend!

Love, Tex

laura said...

My Dear Friend ,


I am speachless, and as you know that does not happen often. Well truth be told I am not speachless but more in awe. I am so amazed at your growth . Your photos and written word give such incite into who you are and your transformation from one form of artist to another. I so appreciate your honesty and the way you have shared your grief and the healing journey on this blog. You have done some tough work over the past few years and your light is shining through. I agree with Tex and love the Rumi poem. I love you and am so proud of you. Make sure you share this with Pam...... I miss you and look forward to the next time we are together ..

Love,
Laura