Pages

Followers

Friday, July 9, 2010

America

I'm trying a different type of photo challenge tonight.  Don't know as it will become a weekly habit, but for some reason late this afternoon it seemed like a good idea.  Good ideas can be hard to come by at times....I decided to grab on to this one.  More fodder for photographs is never a bad thing indeed.

Weekly challenge word is America.  America....near July 4th week should fall into place.  I was thinking about where I live and wondering if it is a good representation of America.  As I took a drive this evening I passed a beautiful barn.  I had photographed it one other time in May, but never posted the result.  I think it a good interpretation of America.

The fact that there was bunting....it was as if the barn was saying: "See;  America."  Nothing gives the American touch more than red, white, and blue bunting.

As I drove along with my yellow lab in the back of the Subaru I was thinking how lucky I am to live in a place where I can photograph a beautiful barn and 2 miles down the road be at the beach.  Does this make my corner of the world a good representation of America?  I still don't know.  I got to thinking about the endless corn and wheat fields in the middle of the country and thought a resident of that type of landscape might strongly argue Maine does not "represent".  Does it matter?

I also thought about the songs "America the Beautiful" and "God Bless America".  When I was teaching music, I often had my grade school students learn these.  We'd talk about the words and the whats and the whys.  Meanwhile the dog and I had parked our car and were walking the sidewalk overlooking the rocky coastline and the "ocean white with foam".  This was something you have to explain to students growing up in inland Pennsylvania.

On the way home I thought of a photo I took two nights ago before I knew of this challenge.  It's so fitting and so recent I'll include it too.  I think it also says America boldly.

Hot fun in the summertime....with the top down and the American flag proudly attached to the radio antenna.  Works for me.

No comments: