Pages

Followers

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Open

For those of you who became enchanted with my recent travels through "creativity boot camp", you'll be interested to know that I'm doing a once weekly follow up called The Sunday Creative. In this scenario a word or phrase prompt is given each Sunday for participants to ponder and post at will....and hopefully prior to the next Sunday....but as always, there's no pressure, no extra credit, no stickers, no "atta boys", no demerits....you just do what you will and gather the intrinsic rewards for yourself and often sweet and kind remarks and validation from others.  I like it; a lot.

This week's prompt is "open" and thus the title for today's post.  A few days ago I did a personal journal piece on open and was pleased and surprised with what came from inside.  Ain't that what it's all about?  When I did CBC I hunted for or sought the word prompt of the day and loved doing that.  I hunted until I was exhausted yet reaped great results. 

I've decided not to do that with these week long prompts.  I am still taking lots (and lots) of photos.  One of the promises made at the conclusion of boot camp was to be creative every day-even if only for 5 minutes-and I am honoring that promise/gift I made to myself.  What I am doing is taking pics and then finding within them the prompt. 

This week I've taken photos with open in the back of my mind, not the front.  In my journal writing I noted that I have been trying to open myself, to be more open, to open my eyes and my soul, to be open to new possibilities.  I also noted that by being open you invite hurt and pain but also healing and redemption.  There is rarely one side of the story without the other, and therefore it can be scary to open, but I am trying.  Success comes and goes-which is not unexpected. 

Below my captures that could be saying open to you as they are to me.  Thank you for stopping by and checking out my ramblings and photos.  Please come by again.

It is hard for me to tell if this photo is good or sort of flat.  I keep re-visiting it....perhaps it has a mysterious allure for me.  I chose it for open because it reminds me of myself....how I'm a little bit open but still guarded by curtains, screens, and transparent glass easily broken.  Sometimes I let others see inside and sometimes I can not.  The window is bathed in golden sunlight...and that is how I feel most alive.  The photo just seemed to suit me.

Open porch, open field, open chairs, open, open, open....and a lovely sunset too.

I've mentioned before that I'm a lousy gardener.  Alas these daisies are growing in my yard!  Ta-da.  I didn't do anything though....this show is all about them.  I felt in this photo they looked as if they were open for the whole world to see.

Same daisy patch, different time of day.  Look at the open inviting sky.

I'd like to tell you I intentionally photographed this seagull, but it would be a lie.  I was delighted when I saw him scoot through my view at the moment I pressed the button.  I was shooting the pretty clouds and got lucky.  Is this bird not open and flying free?  I am sometimes jealous of birds...tonight was one of those times.


6 comments:

Rose said...

Interesting post. I love your open window/self analogy. And the daisy shots are really lovely. I love seagulls too; they are the most skillful gliders. And that is a great shot with him/her flying through.

Betty Anne said...

Your pictures are beautiful -- I will be back later to read more -- I really must go to bed now : )

Corinne said...

That last photo, the unintentional seagull :) Gorgeous. And that porch... I'd love to curl up with a cup of tea in one of those chairs and just sit for a while. Lovely!

Katy Noelle said...

It seems like we've been thinking along the same lines re: 'open'. I just haven't had a chance to do anything about it. I know just what you mean about you and that window, though! Lovely post!

Katy Noelle

Dorian Susan said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. Such a delight to find some at the end of a post. Rose-you have a way of finding the "meat" of what I say before I even figure it out. You're like a study guide. Betty Anne-come back at a more sane hour. Corinne-I enjoy your blog so much and am honored when you have something to say about mine. Katy Noelle-enjoying her new Canon DSLR....I am so jealous. Still working with a basic point and shoot. Your new photos are fantastic. Glad to hear I have a co-partly open person along with me. :)

Maegan Beishline said...

I love to hear that you are continuing to challenge and push yourself creatively! And I LOVE to hear that you're taking lots of pictures!!! It seems you have found "open" in many ways this week. I adore that shot of the front porch! I dream of porches like that!