Pages

Followers

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

An Abundance of Flowers

The Sunday Creative

Photobucket

This post is in response to "Abundance" over at Maegan's blog Life Set to Words AND in response to "Flowers" over at Beth's blog I Should be Folding Laundry.  I love and admire both of these women's work and the spirit they bring to create a supportive blogging community.  Do take a moment to visit their blogs and see the many interpretations of Abundance and Flowers.

I've never been much for flowers.  I am not a gardener, nor do I care to be one.  I've spent most of my life nonchalantly glancing at color and then nonchalantly carrying on with my day.  That is until this past summer. 

In May I picked up my point and shoot camera which had been gathering occasional photos of my pets and primarily dust for the past couple years....and decided to start taking photographs.  I'd been looking for some kind of creative outlet that wasn't hearing dependent and something I could get excited about.  Since around Memorial Day I've taken likely 8,000-10,000 photographs.  I've taken close-ups and landscapes, beaches, fields, statues, bulldozers, rivers, leaves, bicycles, seaweed, waves, chairs, doors, windows, my cat, my dog and lots and lots and lots of flowers.  An abundance of them.

About a week and a half ago I purchased my first DSLR camera and started taking a digital photography class.  (still excited) No sooner had I attached the strap to the camera body and the teacher said "we'll be shooting in manual."  No little flower icon for macro, no mountain icon for landscapes...time for aperture and shutter speed, f's and ISO.  It's all good and it's up to me to figure it all out.

Last weekend I took a walk near the ocean with my dog.  The surf was loud and thunderous due the outskirts of hurricane Igor, so the little miss was stressed out.  I chose to walk the road rather than the shoreline back to the car which turned out to be an abundant blessing.  I found the most beautiful purple, cream and  fuscia garden along a split rail fence.  What a perfect opportunity to give my new camera a work out.

An inspirational garden beside mossy split rail fencing.

Delicious colors

Most of the time auto-focus was stuck on the right which paid off on this shot.  Well not exactly stuck, but I couldn't figure out how to re-set it.  Now I know.

This bumble bee was drinking in nectar from the lilac colored cosmos.


The top of the fence post decorated with a burst of color.


I did find more beautiful flowers this week, nearly everywhere I looked.

I loved the bold pink of these flowers I found enhancing a stone wall.  Straw flowers maybe?

Hardy mums are a New Englad staple.  I found these in a local farm stand display.

Lavender....at the same farm stand.  They've got lots.

This elegant white rose was part of the decor in church last Sunday.

These past few months have taught me a alot about myself, photography, and flowers.  By seeking out and by shooting the radiant colors I also stop to think how beautiful they are and notice what makes them distinct.  I guess I might call that abundance.


7 comments:

Ashley Sisk said...

Look at all these wonderful flowers...they are beautiful!

ToadMama said...

Nice captures!

Jamie said...

Beautiful! I've been taking photos for more than a year and still am not ready to switch to manual - you are an inspiration.

Tara said...

beautiful, gorgeous, delightful! i enjoyed them all....such color!

Carrie said...

You got lots of great captures on these flowers! Love the one with the bee as well as the autumn display!

Maegan Beishline said...

Gorgeous images, Susan!

Candra Georgi said...

what a great variety!

i captured some sunflowers [dying] in Ohio...although i am currently referring to them as Sonflowers ; )

Candra
http://curiousgeorgi.blogspot.com/2010/09/lifecycle-of-sonflower.html