Pages

Followers

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Artistry in Bloom 21, 22/365

At least I hope so.....

Photobucket


This post is in response to "your choice" over at Beth's blog I Should be Folding Laundry".  My choice was to just keep plugging along with my new camera trying to get something I'm shooting to look good.

It's been a busy week....especially since I purchased my new DSLR camera.  The bells and whistles are still puzzling me, but I just started taking a digital photography class at the local community college, so I suppose there's no better time to learn.  I have received some lovely encouraging and tip-filled comments here on my blog reminding me not to get frustrated and to pack a good dose of patience when I'm shooting pictures.  Already I see why that is good advice.

The photography instructor is asking us to shoot in manual mode.....egad that's tricky.  I'm doing some shots in manual and then spending some time with some of the auto features as well-to help ward off the frustration.  I find it amusing to see something I want to shoot and then have to spend 3 minutes establishing all the settings I think might work.  I'll get it.  Fessing up that there's a part of me that misses the thrill of the quick fix, but when I see the quality of the photos when I somehow (with a little magic and luck) captured a subject well....I know it will all be worth it. I'm a former musician...practice, practice, practice.  I totally get it.

Meanwhile, I'm keeping up with the 365 and the constant search for things to shoot.  Thanks for stopping by and checking out my shots and for being patient with my learning curve.



Always interesting flavor in Kennebunkport.....and lot of tourists with big cameras.  I can blend right in.

Last evening was cool and blustery....deck dining is all closed down.

Low growing plants don't flop around in windy conditions.

{21/365}  Marking the end of week 3 with a close-up view from the commercial docks.

This evening I did a little shoot in Saco.  Low rent apartments...overlooking the parking lot.  Home ownership is NOT over-rated.

Geraniums pushing on that final vibrancy the cooler weather brings forth.

{22/365}  Raw Edge Love

I love to photograph colorful graffitti.  I was just remarking to gibknitty at  Urban Muser  my envy of the graffitti shots she gets living in NYC.  Maine is not a big graffiti venue.  I wasn't expecting to find this, but was delighted when I turned the corner tonight and hit the jackpot.  Then it started raining....I'll have to go back another time.


I'll have to remember....railroad areas are a good source for my graffiti interest.



8 comments:

Ashley Sisk said...

I think these shots are great. Manual mode can be frustrating at first because you dont' feel like you're making any progress. However, over time it'll be second nature and you'll get frustrated by using any of the semi-auto modes. Keep shooting!

Jessi said...

These are great shots! I got a DSLR earlier this year and I am still angry at the thing most of the time. I need to practice more too! You're doing awesome!

ps-I went to Maine one summer and LOVED it. Such a beautiful state! Lucky you.

Cherry said...

Wow - these are great - love the blue rope especially. It must be great to do a class with others too - have fun. Cherry XXX

Clare B said...

Try aperture mode first - baby steps.

ToadMama said...

Shooting with your camera in manual mode is like driving a car with a manual transmission. After a while, you don't even think about what gear you need, you just know. It really is a great way to learn how to use the thing. A lot of what makes someone a good photographer is composition (what's in the shot). Judging by what I have seen from you, you are well on your way.

Jamie said...

Wow - you got some great shots today. I'm still trying to work up the nerve to go manual!

Thanks for your great comment on my post - I'm planning to check out your recommendations, they sound amazing!

Zookeeper Jess said...

Awesome shots! I just got my DSLR this week too and have yet to venture into manual mode. I was just telling my husband that I want to take a photography class so it's awesome that you are!

Carol Blackburn said...

Susan, you are so getting the hang of your new camera. Your shots are wonderful. I loved the comment about all the people walking around with "big cameras" and how you'd fit right in....(made me chuckle).