Pages

Followers

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Signs

This post is in response to the You Capture prompt word "signs" from Beth over at I Should be Folding Laundry.  Stop by her blog to see other interpretations of signs from some amazing photographers and artisans.  Photobucket

Signs.  They are pretty much everywhere.  Once you put them into your conscious thoughts....well; you can't escape them.  Signs come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.  Where would we be without them?  Totally lost?  Or perhaps at peace.  Seems signs are constantly telling us what to do, and frankly, it gets annoying.  I don't particularly enjoy being told what to do, but I'm a stubborn one....at least that's the rumor I've heard.


Some signs are obvious and decorative.

Others are simple and informative.

Some signs are easily recognizable and traditional, yet

others are unique and well-crafted.

Some offer lots and lots and lots of choices....

while others offer only the most essential information.

Some signs are kind of bossy and irritable....

while others mock us and make us irritable.

Some signs are dedications or symbolic

while others symbolize the necessities of life.


Some are strong and bold

others are simple and sweet.

Some signs need no words or icons at all....

and seem to come directly from God, Mother nature, or perhaps the heavens.

Some signs are simply whispers in the remotest of places...

and some scream at us from the busy places we travel.

I imagine I could go on and on about signs....but I think I've already overstayed my welcome.  I'm getting to be like an annoying sign myself.

Thank you for stopping by to see my take on signs.  Please leave a comment if you're so inclined or stop by again sometime.  Your visit is always appreciated.

13 comments:

Clare B said...

Love the sandwiches sign. Great picture.

Carol Blackburn said...

Hi Susan, Love this post about signs and your commentary too. I bet I come back and look at it again............LOL Very nice!

And Miles To Go... said...

wow, you saw a lot of signs this week. Very observant. Love your choices.

Aging Mommy said...

I love how you captured signs, I love the photo of the board with all those choices and the photo of the seafood takeout place with all the vibrant colors.

Amber said...

Great shots! I struggled with this assignment and I love the way it seems to have inspired you. Thanks for sharing.

Laloofah said...

Hey, Sue!
Fun post!
Ha, I figured that all-time style-cramping champion "No Dogs Allowed on Beach" sign would show up here, earning the "bossy and irritable" description. ;-) But perhaps you've learned to completely ignore its small-minded admonishment! LOL Having just gone through septic tank trauma and repair expense, I can relate to your caption for the sewer cover. ;-) And I'm always partial to sky photos. But my favorites here are the autumn leaf (no, really - you've got fall colors like that already?) and "Emma." Simple and sweet indeed!

Alyssa said...

again you have stunning photos. I love them all really but if I had to choose my favorites I would say the sandwiches one and the ice cream flavors. How would you ever decide with all those flavors! Okay, now I'm hungry :)

ToadMama said...

Wow. I love all of your shots. I'm bookmarking you so I can come visit again. Great work!

Jamie said...

I love that you included signs from god

Buckeroomama said...

I really enjoyed reading/looking through your post about "signs." I love the different signs that you were able to include. :)

Steph @ Nap Time Notes said...

I love, love, love your shots! They are so simple and beautiful. Southern Maine is one of my favorite places in the world! :)

Cheryl said...

Signs of Maine! Anyone anywhere could buy that first sign but as I started to scroll I knew these were all from south coastal ME. Howdy neighbor! (Yeah, I don't read the About stuff first. Had to scroll back up to be certain.)

Michele Baratta said...

I love the sign with all the different ice cream flavors.