Pages

Followers

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Something New 13/365

This is so silly, but tonight I'm excited because.......I'm going to school tomorrow morning.  I haven't taken a class in years and this summer I decided to sign up for a digital photography class at the nearby community college.  First one is tomorrow at 8 a.m.  I'm going to get "ed-u-ma-cated", as my Uncle Howard used to say.

I've been missing school as I love to learn, love to learn new things, and I love to teach.  I was a teacher for 15 years and have taken numerous classes that add up to a masters degree plus if you were to put them all together into a tidy little degree-like mode.  I miss the rhythm of a school and the school day.  While it is at times convenient to have the flexibility a real estate career allows....it also is a total time suck where some days you work 12 hours and the next you don't work at all but have to sit in the office with nothing to do.  I find myself working often 6 to 7 days a week and just when you think you have a weekend for R & R...bam....someone wants to see property.  If they only would buy the property, but that doesn't seem to happen nearly enough.

Although taking one little class twice a week is not a substitute for REALLY attending school, or working in one, it at least gives me the flavor.  I'm making sure to have the coffee pot on auto-start, fresh batteries in my hearing aids, my book and spare note paper all set, and the garbage ready to quickly scoot out to the curb when I get up.  I'm such a nerd.

Hopefully my class will teach me new things about shooting photos, camera settings, lighting, processing options, and other things I don't even know exist.  Hopefully I'll have fun and inspiring assignments.  Hopefully I won't be the only one sitting there with a point and shoot camera, and hopefully I won't make an ass of myself on the first day.  I'm as bad as a freshman in high school.  As I said...what a nerd.

This morning I was out with Tula to the beach.  The day after Labor Day and almost no one was there except us.  I love that.  Thanks for stopping by to see what's on my mind.  Check in again to see if I have any cool assignments to tell you about....I'm such a nerd.

Funny how you can walk by something a bunch of times and not see it, and then one day it catches your eye.  Hmmm.  I'm not sure I can figure out how I've missed this.  Its obviously been there for quite awhile. 

I love sandpipers.  Their little legs go so fast as they search for food at the water's edge.  There were many pipers feeding on the incoming tide this morning.

Just as Tula and I were finishing up our walk this woman arrived with her horse.  I wish I'd been able to get a better shot, but a certain timid dog was not being altogether cooperative.  I suppose if I were a dog, I'd think that she was walking a ginormous dog and be a little stressed.  I kind of get it.

Yellow weeds doing their best to hide the ugly guard rail.

{13/365} 
This handsome gull was unflappable.  I pulled my car right up beside him, put down the passenger window and grabbed a few shots.  I guess the tourists have been feeding him lots of sandwich crusts all summer-he didn't seem a bit stressed to have me nearby.





3 comments:

Clare B said...

Good luck for your photography course. Sounds like it'll be great.

Carol Blackburn said...

Beautiful shots, Susan. Particularly fond of the fence one. You'll have to share your tips from class with us other "point and shoot" photographers. The only reason I bought this Olympus Stylus is because of my arthritis; or I would have loved an SLR. :)

Becky said...

Hi Susan
I have to say, I wish you were my neighbor. I really like the way you approach your photos, and how you write about yourself. I too am working with a point and shoot, and it's my belief that it limits me, but I'm trying to surprise myself. Work with what you've got. That's what my photog instructor from the day used to tell me. Sometimes I can make that my truth and other days I'm wishing for a Nikon DSLR. Some days I struggle to find something to shoot, and when that happens I do a self-portrait. That inspires me to go out with new eyes. Thanks for stopping by my blog to say hello. I don't get around to many blogs, but I really appreciate that you visited, because I in came here to check you out, and I love what you're doing.