Pages

Followers

Friday, September 10, 2010

Timeworn

This post is in response to the prompt word "timeworn" for The Sunday Creative....which I do love.  Check out more interpretations of timeworn over at Life Set to Words.
The Sunday Creative

Timeworn. I've been letting that word stumble and bumble 'round my mind for the past few days, thinking about this post. Timeworn. What exactly does timeworn entail? When something is timeworn it is imperfect and in some form of decay.  I figure when something is timeworn it changes....its hue, texture, tautness, height, density, structure....something starts to alter.

I thought this week, about an old dog I had. She was quite arthritic, even at a young age, so by the time she was 6 or 7 she started moving slower and changing form.  My favorite photo of her hangs on the wall....her face beautifully speckled in grays and whites on a black fur backdrop.  I miss "Granny".  She was a timeworn old girl who gave me 13 wonderful years.  I wish I had a photo of her to share....they're all in snapshot form.

I guess people are timeworn too; we're all in varying states of it. I've been feeling a little timeworn lately. I'm not feeling old, just....well, just a little timeworn. Fresh would not be a word I'd use to describe myself at present, though I'd be all about feeling that way at ANY point when and if that fresh feeling would care to visit me.  My aunt has a saying, well she has many, many sayings...but this one is relevant.  She says "after 50 its just patch, patch, patch".  I'm glad I'm not 50 yet, but I'm feeling like the patches are starting already.  Must be that timeworn thing catching up to me.

I'm glad I took the time to ponder timeworn this week.  I think timeworn is often a state of elegance, though our society doesn't always see it that way.  I found some things out in my world that suit my understanding of the word.  I hope you enjoy what I saw.

At times timeworn looks a little sad.  Across the street from this fire station is the ocean.  Maybe someone will find a way to give the building new life and acquire a great location at the same time.

I'm often amazed what washes up on the beach.  Let's face it, no one was driving a car IN the ocean.  This tire is timeworn in its rusty rim and in the decay of the rubber sidewalls and treads.

Some of my drawing pencils are pretty much timeworn out.

Cosmos, I think.  Starting to fray along the petal's edges.

Driftwood is a perfect example of timeworn.  I wonder how long it floats around before it starts to look like this.

While rocks are hard and endure much punishment from the ocean....they too are timeworn and smoothed.

I wonder how long it has been since these pebbles were boulders and how long before they'll become sand.  Sounds like a scientific question....so I don't really need to know.

Autumn is coming....and soon all the leaves will be timeworn.....and I'll be raking :~(

A rusting guardrail becomes more and more timeworn each year.

Thank you for reading my take on timeworn.  I appreciate your visit.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

You found some amazing examples this week.

Ashley Sisk said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog tonight. I'm glad I now have a chance to visit your blog - it's quite lovely. I love how you put so much thought and consideration into each message. It looks like we are in the same photography circles and you seem to be interested in photography challenges. I'm now following and hope to see more from you. If you're interested, I host a scavenger hunt on Sundays. Have a great weekend!

Betty Anne said...

Thanky you for your encouraging comment on my 'weed' photo. I love your varied approach to the idea of timeworn -- the concept really does apply to many things.

justinegordon said...

what a great collection of photographs for the prompts and your words ring so true, absolutely lovely.

Linda Robinson said...

I just love all your timeworn pictures.. I really love the one of your driftwood. I have tried to take some shots like that but they didn't turn out.. Hope you have a nice weekend..

~Linda