Pages

Followers

Friday, October 1, 2010

First Month, 37/365

Since late August I've been working on my picture a day 365.  Today I'm hitting number 37.  I realize that I'm already 10% finished with the project....time flies.  The idea to start my 365 came from Maegen over at Life Set to Words  (thank you Maegen-you're awesome!) She invited anyone who wanted to, to join her in a 365 with the idea of a group to support one another in this journey.  It's been about a month since most participants began so Maegen is doing a call to review your first months worth of photos and declare your favorite.  As I type this, I'm still deciding....there are 3 still in the running.

I am enjoying the 365....in fact I did a catch up post just a few days ago when I realized there were several of my 365 photos that I hadn't made time to include in some sort of posting.  About 2 1/2 weeks into my 365 I purchased a DSLR and switched pretty much cold turkey from a point and shoot to using manual settings on my new camera.  When I look at my first month of photos, I'm not sure I see much growth as of yet, but I sure have learned a lot about my new camera.  I think the growth is there rather than reflected in my photos.

An area I would like to improve upon is my photo processing.  I have a new computer on order and because I'm taking a digital photography class at the local community college can "hook up" with a sweet deal on photoshop.  The price is too awesome not to pull the trigger.  Up 'til now I haven't processed my photos at all.  I'm looking forward to starting to figure out that side of photography when my new computer and new software arrive.  I am so impressed with many of the photos I see from my fellow participants.  I'm "going to school" on what I see out there-I have plenty to aim for.  There are so many talented photographers participating.....how lucky for me.

The other area I think I'd like to tackle is starting to take photos of people.  I've shot a lot of stuff that doesn't move which has been wonderful in giving me time to think.  I've had a few people be really turned off when I wanted to take their photo, so I tend to rush my people shots.  I need to figure out a way to get photos of people without making them uncomfortable and without feeling I should apologize for what I'm doing.

For today....I have my latest photo and am just about ready to commit on my favorite from my first month.  Thanks for checking out my photos and thoughts.  Your visit and lovely comments are always appreciated and taken to heart.  Here's the latest.....

{37/365}  Coffee with cinnamon.  One of my most favorite things in the world to do is meet my best friend for coffee.  We are lucky as we often meet several times each week.  We have the greatest conversations while sipping our java.

This photo "3 Dories" is my favorite from my first month of 365.  Strangely it comes from early on...I think day 4.  I love the clear reflection of the boats in the tidal waters.  This one I was proud enough of to actually give a copy to my father as a gift for his birthday.  It looks nice hanging in his office.


10 comments:

justine said...

I love the photo of the boats, it just looks so peaceful. This 365 is fun isn't it, sometimes when I can't find anything to photograph it's tough but otherwise it's such a great learning experience.

urban muser said...

your photos are beautiful...good for you for getting the dslr. i also love all the goals you have set for yourself. i want photoshop too!! it looks like you are getting a lot out of the 365 so far.

Carol Blackburn said...

Very nice, Susan........as wonderful the second time as they were the first. Enjoy your day.

Jamie said...

What an exciting first month you've had! I love the photo you picked for your favorite - it is stunning.

Micheline said...

It's awesome that you had the guts to switch cameras in the middle of such a daunting assignment. If these photos are any indication, you're already off to a great start.

Kelly said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the welcome too. :)

Marina said...

I absolutely love the boats photo!!!!

http://nprimopiano.wordpress.com/2010/09/23/a-is-for-arches/

Jennifer said...

The boats are gorgeous. All our "lakes" are manmade to fit the perfect urban scene. Nothing like this. Gorgeous

{Amy} said...

I love the boat photo, too. It seems so peaceful and very pretty! I am just checking out some of the other 365's. Hope you're enjoying that new camera!

Laloofah said...

Whoa, you SHOULD be proud enough of that last photo to have given it as a gift! Bet your dad was thrilled! It's just utterly stunning... almost looks like a still-life painting, it's so perfect! It looks absolutely professional, and I'd wager you could sell that one easily, as prints and as cards in yonder foo-foo shops.