Pages

Followers

Friday, October 29, 2010

Macro Friday

It's time for macro Friday over at Laura's Blogging from Bolivia.  I've got (as they say in Maine) a "wicked" busy day coming up including a visit from an old college friend I've not seen in nearly 20 years, so I'm posting nice and early so I don't forget, get distracted, or otherwise too encumbered to link up.  Head on over by clicking on the button and check out the other macro entries today.  There are always so many beautiful contributions.  




I've been thinking, which is always dangerous, about macro and how the word macro sounds like something big, but you're taking pictures of something small.  I guess you're shooting something little with big results....blowin' it up.  There's also micro and I wonder if this shooting of tiny details shouldn't be called micro instead of macro.  Maybe I'm just having a little memory slip through Economics 101.  I don't know; sometimes it seems all backwards. I shouldn't think so much as my mind gets lost wandering in the pages. 

It's likely there's a scientific reasoning behind the name.  I'm really, really poor at science and I'm also fine with that.  I've accepted that as my nature.  I don't need to know why it's called macro not micro; I will just take that as the way it is and get my thoughts away from the micro thing.  My brother loves explaining things scientifically and when he gets to about the 3rd or 4th sentence of his explanation of "how this works", I think my eyes glaze over and my ears shut down.  I'm just perfectly fine on the not knowing.  Math....I can do math; that makes sense.  Science stuff I prefer to live in stupor land eternally and hopefully "the force" will be with me when needed.

On to my micro macro photos.

This curly little leaf caught my attention while walking yesterday.  It shouldn't have there were millions of leaves everywhere, not to mention beautiful views....but sometimes one has to think small.

And these little funky things at the end of the bare branch....they were pretty cool too.

We actually talked about macro in digital photography class this week.  Macro and then using the flash.  That's how this photo came about.  The photo I took of the ear of the guy who sits next to me wasn't nearly as good as this.

I think maybe it's best if I stop now, before this entire micro macro post falls to shambles.  I've been working really hard on my Skinny Mini e-class and on finishing up the last of my October Photo Challenge and trying to wade in the water of Photoshop before my 30 day trial ends...I fear the photo quality may have dropped a notch in the chaos.  All for good cause tho.  Thanks for checking out my pics.

11 comments:

Sarah C said...

Awesome photos. I glaze over science things too! x

Carol Blackburn said...

Nice pics, Susan. That last one of the coiled wire looks like a snake.

Katie said...

that's a very neat curl in the leaf!

Hannah M said...

Really like the first one - what a lovely leaf!

And Miles To Go... said...

lovely choices!

Ashley Sisk said...

These are pretty neat looking.

Coneflower Ranch said...

Great shots! Good observation on the word, macro/micro!

Evelyn S. said...

So many 'curls'...and all delightful!

justine said...

I love the middle one especially, looks like you are enjoying your courses, have you looked at the tracey clark picture holidays one? I think I am becoming addicted to courses!

Rosie said...

Beautiful photos! I think the second one is my favourite - I love that funky look! :-)

Raymonde said...

The first two are so delicate.

The cable is so representative of our lives as photographers...