Pages

Followers

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Voices' Faces

Photobucket


This post is in response to "faces" the weekly topic from Beth over at I Should be Folding Laundry.  There are always a bunch of interesting takes at her blog...so click on the above button and check it out.


When I saw this week's topic I figured it was a subtle message for me.  I've been flirting with the idea that it's time for me to start taking photos of people, but still not feeling quite ready to.  I work in a small office of limited staff and live alone with no kiddos, so I don't have a plethora of willing subjects handy.  I did feel I could fall back on the ol' faithful pets who are both blessed with sweet faces, but that seemed a bit of a cop out.

Last weekend the face Gods were smiling on me.  I attended a workshop on making African puppets.  There were about 45 participants, all members of a choral group called Voices from the Heart , out of Portsmouth, NH.  It turned out to be a bonanza of faces for me to shoot....which I didn't even think about until the day was over.

All the women were busy working on their puppets which they'll use in their upcoming November concert,  so they hardly noticed me standing around with my camera going snap, snap, snap....they just kept on with the tracing, cutting out, gluing, and painting.  Had I not had to make a puppet myself I could have taken a lot more photos, but I managed to do okay in between my puppet making tasks.

I think the thing that troubles me about taking photos of people is that I want to reflect them well.  I wouldn't be happy with an unflattering photo of myself, so that's always in my mind when I look at the results of the people photos I've taken.  Would they be satisfied the way I've depicted them?  I guess I need to let it go and just try my best.

Here are some of the wonderful faces of the wonderful women from Voices from the Heart that I made African puppets with on Saturday morning.

A tracing pattern as modeled by Melissa.

Megan is cutting out the pattern for her puppet.

Becky is hapy to be finished cutting and on her way to the glue-gun portion of the project.

Whatever Leanne said, it struck Nancy awfully funny.  Making these puppets took several hours and most of the participants, including myself, were new to a project like this.

Some people were making African hats they'll wear at the concert and Celie was modeling one for fun.  What a wonderful warm smile.

I really like this potrait of Jane.  She actually asked me to take a few extra photos of her for some other project she was doing.  Not bad.

I love the expression on Marie's face as she's listening....so attentive and interested.

Rachel starts in painting her rhino.

I caught Anne telling a funny story while she painted.

Puppets have faces too.  This beautiful bird is getting wings.

The final product....

If you live near Portsmouth NH and want to see these puppets live at the concert on November 20th, visit Voices from the Heart website or Facebook page for information.  Yours truly will be part of the African drumming ensemble.







6 comments:

Ashley Sisk said...

These are wonderful faces and I'm so glad you shared them with us! And I love the final product!

Carol Blackburn said...

Great photos, Susan. Looks like a great time was had by all.............

Rose said...

This is a wonderful essay of faces! I can get the vibe of creativity and happiness that must have been in the room.

Clare B said...

Great project - love the bird face photo and really a wonderful series of beautiful faces!

Debra said...

Very very cool Dorian! :)

Laloofah said...

What a wonderful gallery of faces, and a really fun post! I feel like I was there and was having a blast myself participating in this fun project. I agree with Rose, the vibe of creativity and happiness definitely comes through. Great job! (As usual!) :-)