Pages

Followers

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Silence 70/365

This post is in response to Beth's You Capture over at her blog I Should Be Folding Laundry.  This week the theme was a choice between Halloween or Silence, and I chose the latter.  I'm rather over that little whirlwind of Halloween at this point.

Photobucket

Silence is an interesting concept.  I wonder if it really does exist at all.  Is it even possible for it to exist?  Since my abrupt hearing loss that came on years ago, I've given silence, no sound, sounds, distorted sounds, etc. plenty of thought.  My world is much more silent than it used to be....but it is not silent. There are plenty of things I still hear....just not the way I want to, or the way I remember them sounding.

It too is curious that I have ringing in my ears.  The ringing/tinnitus is really LOUD and annoying and is on-going most of the time.  An irony perhaps to not hear well, but be bombarded with near constant unpleasant ringing/roaring drowning out the things that I can or want to hear.  I don't know what God's plan is on this one....but it may need some adjustment.

Anyway....pure silence, if it did occur, might actually be unnerving.  Putting silence into visual form is a unique challenge....a mixing of senses.  I like that when the senses overlap or trade places.  Pretty cool.  I did come up with a couple visual representations of silence...what do you think?

Church is a place where people often are silent.  I walked into Old South Church in Portsmouth, NH and there was virtually no one else inside.  The stillness and light immediately hit me as so lovely.  This photo seems to say silence.  Strangely...within 10 min. the church was filled with the sound of my African drum group rehearsing.  From one extreme to the other.

This scene also seemed silent.  This is near the entrance to the beach I most often walk.  In summer the area bustles with beach-goers...but as the weather chills it is a retreat with few sounds, but those of nature.

{70/365} The frosty night air is silencing these rosa rugosa bushes.  Next spring, like the hibernating bear, they will awaken and speak....to my delight.

Those are my thoughts on silence.  Check out the other takes by following the button above.


8 comments:

BnE's Mommy said...

I love the fence shot...gorgeous!

Barb said...

They are all beautiful!

Carol Blackburn said...

Great shots, Susan. I love old fences almost as much as old barns and buildings.

Caseybumpinalong said...

Great captures! I really love the fence shot.

agiraffeinascarf said...

Gorgeous photos, I love the fence photo!

Ashley Sisk said...

I love your interpretations...I thought this might be an interesting one for you.

Donaji said...

"Putting silence into visual form is a unique challenge....a mixing of senses. I like that when the senses overlap or trade places."

I've never thought about this but now that you mention it I'm going to be more aware. I think the fence photo says silence...abandoned. I love African drumming too and I'm also part of the Sketchbook project! What fun! I love your background by the way :)

Laloofah said...

What wonderful photos, and what a great concept - photographing silence! I love that, and your interpretations of it. I also love silence itself, and don't know how you can bear that constant ringing in your ears. Wish you could rid yourself of it!

Now don't go all glazing over on me ;-) but the phenomenon of the senses overlapping or trading places - like being able to "see" silence, "hear" a color or "taste" a sound - is called synesthesia. Many people experience it to some extent, but maybe you experience it more than most! My friend Jo was recently telling me about a presentation she attended by a renowned quilter whose strong synesthesia really influences her quilt designs. I'd heard of synesthesia before, but that conversation sent me looking to learn more about it. I think it's fascinating. (Wikipedia has an interesting page about it for anyone who wants to know more).

End of glazy sciency bit. :-) This was a fun theme, your photos are great, and I hope you'll get to explore more "synesthetic" photo challenges in the future!