Pages

Followers

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Scavenging 143/365

I'm linking up with Ashley for Scavenger Hunt Sunday.  There are always numerous creative interpretations of the list so head on over and take a peek.




This week I found all my shots Saturday morning when I did a photo expedition with my friend Deb.  We had to be bundled and layered up as we started out bright and early in the frigid air....but we got lots of great shots so it was worth it.  And we had an amazing breakfast afterwards for reward.

This week's list was: A Different View, Looking Up, Abstract, Hair, and Half.

{ 143/365} A Different View:  Sea smoke hovers over the river. 
Blessedly only rarely do we see sea smoke, so it is a different view.  It has to be very cold and usually occurs only in January and early February on the coldest of mornings.  There's a fancy scientific reason dealing with evaporation and water and air temps, blah, blah, blah.  All I know is when you see it-it's beautiful, but brrrrrr.

Looking Up: This is the bridge between Maine and New Hampshire on Interstate 95.  It is a huge arch over the Piscataqua River, high enough to allow large ships passage below.

Abstract:  I love the repetition and lines in this shot.  It is a walkway ramp between wharf and dock.  I guess no one has been taking their boats out lately.  Too damn cold.

Hair:  Ok, I know it's not hair, but it reminds me of hair and lets me continue on with my cold winter morning theme.

Half:  This is 1/2 of an arched opening with lantern that provides a beautiful overhead entry through a wrought-iron gate that surrounds South Church in Portsmouth, NH.  I love the blue hues the metal took in the morning light.

Stay warm.  It's up to 20 already this morning so no sea smoke today.



18 comments:

Simone said...

You are an incredibly talented photographer. I love each and every one of your interpretations -particularly your abstract and 'hair' - they are just so clever!

ToadMama said...

I still can't believe you only recently decided to take up photography. You have a natural eye that some people will never achieve even after years of study. I absolutely love the sea smoke picture. The walkway is very cool, too. I reall enjoy these scavenger hunts you do!

justine said...

these shots are absolutely amazing, your different view and the snow shot are absolutely stunning.

Kim said...

I love that abstract photo, it is really cool!

apictureintime said...

Oh my, what a great collection of winter shots. The Different View shot is simply stunning. Brrrr but wow!!

Pam Bowers said...

These are all gorgeous photos. The sea smoke one is perfect.

Carol Blackburn said...

Wonderful shots, Susan...........stay warm.
I came home from work yesterday to find some frozen pipes. Yuk! I guess it's a lot colder than I thought.

Miss Becky said...

I love seeing a new post from you because I'm assured of a great sensual trip. I've been intrigued by scavenger hunt for awhile, seeing yours here, but I'm not ready for that yet.
that first photo is extremely wall-friendly, I tell you. the mood, and I've never heard of sea smoke. I love that expression. I guess a person must live close to the sea for that familiarity. your bridge is similar to our Hoan Bridge here in Milwaukee; it spans the harbor, high enough for the ships to travel upriver from the lake and unload. I love your abstract, and hair, and half. Your work is amazing Susan. what I love most about it is your keen eye for capturing the light in such a perfect, beautiful way. think about putting that top image on your wall. or mine...

Ashley Sisk said...

You've really done incredible work this week but that first shot is absolutely incredible. INCREDIBLE.

julie said...

Every one of those is just gorgeous!! The first one in an outstanding capture...LOVE your interpretation of half :)

SarahinSC said...

Amazingly beautiful sea smoke! Wow! Bet that was just as stunning in person.

Phoenix Peacock said...

great photos this week! I'm in love with the shadows!!!

Seizing My Day said...

Fabulous pictures!! Looks like a lovely cold morning!! ;)

Y. Ikeda said...

Fantastic photos! The third one is my favorite. You have an excellent eyes to capture the light/shadow!
Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day.
Yoshi

Danelle said...

These are all great, but I really love that first one.

Jennifer said...

These are amazing! I love all of them - especially the bridge shot. Very cool!

Scrappy Grams said...

I must say you have more energy for venturing into the cold than I have. I keep planning to take a stroll with my Nikon by our(Muncie, IN's) portion of White River to record what's happenin' down by the river. Now that I've seen yours, I'm bound to do it, and soon. You have such a great "eye" for beauty. Thanks

AMY said...

Great photo's! You are an Amazing photographer.
I feel I learn just by checking out your photo's!