Pages

Followers

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Top Ten of 2010 from my 365

Linking up with Maegen over at Life Set to Words for a top ten of 2010.  I enjoyed posting my 25 photos for Ashley Sisk's Memories, Reflections and Dreams, but those photos weren't necessarily connected with my 365.

Looking back on last year it was kind of nuts.  My decision to start taking photos was really a whim.  I just kind of picked up my camera one weekend and thought "I'll just try it" and I haven't really put it down since.  In a measurement of self, I am pleased that I've not missed a single day doing my 365 and only have a few days where I had to "settle" for something that didn't please me.  Day 51 was the ultimate bummer, but I compensated with a very poor selfie as if to mock myself.

I have learned some things...hardest lesson was taking care of my photos when I lost all of the photos I took from November 1-21st due to a corrupt file on my flash drive.  Tough lesson.  I have a shot I know I take well..a close-up with a shallow DOF and I am trying to rely on it less even though I really like it. I'll always have that shot in my pocket.

I have changed from a point and shoot to a DSLR and went straight to manual mode.  I have learned about ISO, shutter speed, white balance, aperture and now want to stretch out to better use those tools.  I want to challenge myself to take more people shots and not apologize or sneak them when I do.  I also want to challenge myself to learn more about processing/editing-I'm still on baby steps with that.

So here on Day 132, a smidge more than 1/3 the way through I'm doing OK.  The limited light and dreariness of winter has got me feeling at a plateau and sort of treading water, but I sense I'll be moving ahead again soon if I just keep practicing every day-right Maegen?  I want to thank those of you that stop by my blog from time to time with encouraging comments....that is the biggest help of all.  And thanks to Maegen who planted seeds way back in June with Creativity Bootcamp and the 365 seed in late August. 

For my top ten, I selected only shots from my 365 collection.  I'm not sure they're the best, but as of today, they appeal to me.  Some of these photos are lost to me now and I was only able to "get them back" by reclaiming them from my Flickr account.  Thanks for checking out my "stuff". 

{14/365} Lonely

{25/365} Window Through a Window

{32/365} Boy in Blue

{35/365} Cafe Decor

{43/365} Park Bench

{59/365} Bethlehem Steel

{72/365} Droplets

{107/365} Crystal Crown

{113/365} Silhouette

{122/365} Chase

9 comments:

Sarah Halstead said...

Gorgeous photos! I love them all. Especially the leaf with railroad tracks.

Randy said...

I would not want to pick a favorite from these. They are wonderful shots.

James said...

Really beautiful story telling photos!

AMY said...

WOW.......Gorgeous!!!
Breathtaking!

Brooke said...

Love the pictures you picked to show your year! I think the last one is my fave, lovely portrait

Clare B said...

I'm so impressed that you haven't missed a day yet - I'm starting anew again after stopping mid-December when it all got a little too hard. Love that second photo - it's got wonderful texture and light.

ToadMama said...

Wow. You really do have a great eye for composition. I am so glad you decided to pick up a camera and that I found you. I am really enjoying your journey.

Jamie said...

Your shots are amazing - you have such a great eye and see beauty in the most amazing places.

Miss Becky said...

I'm thinking that I'm unable to select a favorite. I began thinking that Lonely was it, and then as I kept scrolling down, well, they kept getting more delightful. I really like that red table, the way you framed it. You have a great eye, and I'm very happy that you decided to pick up a camera and begin. I too began in Bootcamp last summer. I don't like to compare, but you put me to shame!
I take it back. My fave is Chase. It says it all. Your photos are extraordinary.