Pages

Followers

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cranes

Linking with Maegen at The Sunday Creative for this week's prompt "Cranes".

The Sunday Creative


Setting Docks
Sign of Spring?  Setting docks along the Kennebunk River

I know what Maegen meant by cranes.  People all over are folding oragami cranes for Japan, the crane a symbol of giving luck and hope.  My photograph means no offense to this beautiful gesture-I think it a lovely and caring thing to do.  My thoughts too are with the people of Japan as they face the mounting uncertainty in their homeland.

When I saw the word crane however, this image came to mind.  I captured it a week and a half back...early on a Monday morning.  It's not often you see a huge crane on barge floating along the river normally reserved for high cost power and sailboats, and for scenic lobster and party boats taking passengers on whale watches and such.  I saw this scene as a "behind the scenes" peek at the less glamorous aspects-what happens before the summer party starts.  I saw it too as a sign of spring.


5 comments:

Anna Lear said...

Your post made me smile. It also can remind us that Japan will indeed need both the small cranes and the big ones as the people begin to face the monumental task of rebuilding. Very nicely done!

Rosie said...

I absolutely agree with Anna - it made me smile, too! :-)

Joan said...

It feels like spring this week here too. :)
Great image!

Gina Marie said...

Cool picture...ahhhh I miss those gray days, this photo makes me want to curl up with a cup of tea or take a stroll in the rain :)

Janice said...

Ah glad to see someone else went for the mechanical type crane! Love that river barge crane, never seen one of those.