Pages

Followers

Friday, March 4, 2011

Macro Friday

Linking up with Laura at Blogging from Bolivia for this week's Macro Friday.  Head on over and check out the world under magnified vision.


Having been a musician and mostly taught music for many years, I still miss it-a lot, and think about it a lot-probably too much.  It's not that I can't hear music at all, but the nature of my hearing loss has a component that distorts sound and that takes away the "it" factor, the emotional response-the joy.

Comparing that to sight-would be like after knowing and living in the world full of billions of vibrant colours and then suddenly you could only see them desaturated or near black and white.  Yah they're there, but just not the same.

Music

Not trying to sound like a bummer today, but when I looked at this image-music in black and white; visual, it just made me pause for a bit and travel down that little dead end alley for a moment.

The other thing I thought about was how much this little tiny corner of a page of music tells you....if you know music.  It tells you the that the piece is in the key of F and it's tempo is moderately slow, there are 4 beats in each measure and the first two notes are eighth notes.  There will be harmony in at least 3 parts, that the song will repeat and you might even guess that the song may not be sung in English based on the first syllable.  That's quite an amount of info in one little 2" square.  Music is a remarkable thing.

It would be oh so cool if I could take my ability to understand the written page and turn it into something musically useful and fulfilling.  But it might be even cooler if I put the page down and picked up my camera and turned that into something useful and fulfilling.  Just thinking.

Happy Friday and thanks for listening and looking.


11 comments:

Courtney said...

Love this! I played music for many years and still do vocals from time to time so I totally relate.

deb duty said...

I'm sorry you miss your music. I played piano but it's been a long time. Your sheet music made a lovely macro photo.

lisahudson said...

My heart goes out to you. Your photo completely captures the "it" of music, though. Thank you for expressing your creativity now through your photos! Great shot.

Lisa

Anika said...

Yeah, your last paragraph was what i was wondering... Is there a way to find an arena of music maybe even yet discovered to you that could fulfill that desire? My heart goes out to you and at the same time it's inspiring to read how you change your focus and see positives. Very soulful post, thanks for sharing.

Carol Blackburn said...

Have a great weekend, Susan.....I'm looking forward to seeing some great shots emerge from your camera and your keen eye. I will be working and sleeping and not much else for the next 48 hrs.

Scrappy Grams said...

Wow, I didn't realize so much info was in such a small area. Makes me feel smart! I don't know the reason, but I find music notation a very pretty visual to behold.
I can hear, but my singing voice is not what it once was, probably that's mostly used only at Mass once a week. I know that's not quite the same, but I do miss it.

Coffee Queen said...

I have followed links to your log before but this is by far my favorite post. Thank you for sharing something so personal and emotional. As a person who loves music but knows nothing about it I find sheets of music to be similar to pieces of artwork: very beautiful but I dont have a clue as to the meaning of it. This shot is beautiful. Thank you for taking the time to educate me about what was going on in the little square of music that you shared.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

If you cannot hear it anymore can you hear it in your mind? Does the music become a symphony in your head as you read the notes and know the sounds it should make? It is a profound thought to people who can hear to understand or relate to what we cannot. Just a thought. V

kbreints said...

Beautiful thought provoking post. Love your photo. My Father in law is in his 70's and lived his life until 3 years ago with only about 5% hearing. He found out that he would benefit from a cochlear implant and since then can now hear the voices of his family for the very first time. However. He has always loved the beat of music. However since his implant it has become to loud for him so he has to turn it down or off to enjoy the music the way he always did.

I hope that you find a way to enjoy your passion again.

EG Wow said...

Sorry you are losing your hearing but you do think creatively so maybe you really can transfew your love of beautiful sounds to a love of beautiful colours or design or scenes....

laura said...

Susan,

I love this! Such beauty in the way you have captured this simple yet complex image. I apprecite the way you have taken the time to share all that the music says to you. You are always the teacher and I thank you for that. Watching you on this journey from one form of creative expression to another is truley inspiring. So much beauty pouring out of you, I do not think you are always seeing it but let me assure my dear friend it is amazing. I admire how you are teaching your self a new way of expression and just like the music finding and sharing the joy of that with passion to all those who take the time to look.