Pages

Followers

Monday, March 21, 2011

Square Format

Linking up with Kat for Come Exploring With a Camera.  My first link with this link, so to speak.  I'm looking forward to learning some things from Kat.  I like learning....yay!  Thanks Kat.



The topic for this exploration was square format.  Kat gives some insightful tips for shooting in a square format, as well as compositions that work well in the square format.

Last night I skipped dinner and went out shooting in the late day sun, one of my favorite things to do.  I had  a daily prompt of "hope" in the back of my mind, yet found myself traveling inland towards Sanford, a former mill town, primarily blue-collar, that speaks not to "hope", but more to hard times.  I guess my shooting time fed my own sense of hope rather than finding a way of picturing hope; I captured a lot of photos that I like.

This morning I thought I'd see if something I captured might lend itself to square format before the link deadline of March 22 comes and goes.  I look forward another time to shooting with square format in mind, rather than just cropping that way.

Once
Once

Old arched entry to a mill building now abandoned.  Sanford's mill buildings stand large and formidable....it is sad to see them empty and lifeless being only able to imagine them in their glory days.

6 comments:

Ashley Sisk said...

I really think that's a great example of square formatting.

Jamie said...

Love it! The colors are gorgeous and it fits perfectly with the format

Scrappy Grams said...

Both square, and abandoned, yet it has beauty.

Miss Becky said...

well, this image is quite the metaphor my friend. it's a lovely one at that. square format eh? I'll have to check that out. your brick wall speaks loudly. this is one of my favorites of your photos. it's really nice. I think you should write a drabble to accompany it. listen to me - I'm one to talk. I've been wanting to do that since forever and don't get to it. but I think it would be fun. go ahead. I'll be right behind you. :)
have a great day Susan!

Kat Sloma said...

As I love anything old, broken and full of texture I understand your dilemma. I think the hope is found by seeing beauty in the imperfection. Square format works well here, and I'm so excited to have you link in!

Carol Blackburn said...

Great shot, Susan. Where I grew up in Massachusetts it was both a fishing town and milltown. Lots of these old factories everywhere along the river and a beautiful seaport. I have a love for both of them.