Pages

Followers

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Today

Linking up with the lovelies over at Communal Global for "Today" from around the globe.




I've been sort of in a "global" place in my head lately, if that makes any sense at all.  I think it's based on all that's going on around the world.  All the rumbling, destruction in many forms, looming dread, so much "crisis" talk. 

For nearly 4 years now I have not watched the news or read the newspaper.  I decided to just stop.  Too much stress; too many crises, too many things going on that I can't control or do anything about to help.  All I can do is feel sad or sorry or heartbroken. 

It's not that I don't hear the news-it's pervasive-you can not avoid it. It's not that I don't care; I do. I guess it was a need to step away from the hype, the news that seems like little sound bites and info-tainment, a need to just slow down, breathe, and do what I can where I am.

So thinking globally about all that's going on, and just trying to stay calm.  That's what's going on in my today.  I hope yours is calm, peaceful, and stress free....and I wish that too for all those places in the world that need it most.

The Plains

Faded Memory

Christ Church

15 comments:

Ashley Sisk said...

These photos are beautiful - I know what you mean...so often the only news we hear is bad news so I try to focus on the present and be at peace with it.

Life with Kaishon said...

This is a good thing to read. It can all be so overwhelming. I think you do a good job of embracing a community spirit and making things the best they can be right where you are at : )
Way to go! Love the church shot so much.

Miss Becky said...

this is a wonderful series. the wide expanse of the sky/lines, then the closed bud, and the perspective of the steeple against the sky. I love this. nice texture on the flower bud image too. the news can certainly get a person into a heavy funk. I like your attitude. have a fun day Susan!

Scrappy Grams said...

Love your photos as usual.
I quit taking the newspaper to help cut my expenses. As you say, it's pervasive everywhere any way. When I've watched the world news at night, all I do is cry. Thankfully, as can sometimes happen, I haven't developed a migraine from it all. I've done what I could, donate money and pray daily, but that just doesn't seem like enough. So I put it into God's hands.

justine said...

love those beautiful skies, so clear and such a lovely blue. I hate watching the news everyday, I figure you hear eventually if something has happened. Thank you for offering to look after ling Ling!

Rosie said...

These photos are so beautiful, Susan! As is your post - I can absolutely relate to what you're saying and I do it, too, sometimes, as I also feel overwhelmed by all that misery!

Carol Blackburn said...

Great shots, Susan. Love the monochrome dried roses.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Thoughtful and so true. Love your series, especially the dried roses. Hope you have a good week.

Dyche Designs said...

Great shots . . . like you I stopped listening to the news and reading papers.

Jamie said...

You photos have me in a more peaceful frame of mind.

lisa said...

Such a thoughtful post Susan, and your photographs are so beautiful.

Buckeroomama said...

These are beautiful, Susan. :)

I'm like you... we hardly turn on the TV these days.

Jennifer Bowen said...

What a soulful post! I love how your photo of the empty road reminds me to slow down and enjoy the quiet. Thank you for linking up with us at CG!

Indie.Tea said...

It does get very difficult watching the news. I think its also the way news is reported - mostly negative, things that sell I suppose...
Your post is lovely, great words...

Clare B said...

lovely sentiments Susan. It really seems as if we are surrounded by disasters and tragedies continuously at the moment. I'm a little isolated from the news as well - mostly due to language barrier so I shield myself a little but it still creeps into the everyday and can be a little hard to digest sometimes.