Pages

Followers

Friday, April 8, 2011

Creative Exchanging my Weekend Reflections

Got a little two-fer going here.  Linking up with the wonderful Lisa for the Creative Exchange and also with my neighbor from afar James at Weekend Reflections.  These two memes should cross nicely me hopes.






Way back in July or August of 2010 I learned of a very cool art project called "The Sketchbook Project" from another delightful fellow blogger, Clare at Pampelmuse and Me.  The premise was that for a small fee you received an empty sketchbook, were given a random topic, and you would fill that sketchbook any way you pleased.  Upon completion it was returned to the folks at the arthouse co-op and later the books would go on tour.

I'm the first to admit....I really don't draw, but the arthouse co-op believes that art is for everyone.....so, I jumped on board-colored pencils, erasers, and all.  When I received my sketchbook with 80 little pages I was almost overwhelmed, but I was determined to fill them based on my given topic "Jackets, Blankets, and Sheets." 

The task nearly killed me, but I finished it and sent it back post-marked on time.  The best part was....this year's tour came to Portland, ME about 1/2 hour north of where I live.  Last weekend was the time to go check it out!!  Always take your mom for something like this....moms are always proud of you no matter what!  It doesn't hurt to go out for lunch someplace delicious either!!

Window Table
Window reflections-from inside the Green Elephant restaurant specializing in vegan cuisine.  I was struck by the clarity of the yellow VW bug parked outside.

Asian Veggies
My tofu and Asian vegetables entree was light and tasty.

Space Gallery
Just down the street....more cool reflections at Space Gallery where The Sketchbook Project was held.

Books
There were nearly 11,000 sketchbooks completed for the project this year.....all of them came on tour.

Readers
Throughout the gallery people had their noses stuck into sktechbooks checking out artwork from all over the world.  Sweden, Japan, California, Minnesota, Philippines, Brazil.....all over.

Mom
Always bring your mom.....she wanted to see my book first.  Awwww.......my very own fan club.

Stacks
You could "check out" 2 books at a time.  When you finished, the staff would return your books and let you look at two more.  You could spend hours and hours-I'll have to go to Brooklyn NY to their Art House Library if I want to do that.

Reading
It was great to see so many people there enjoying the sketchbooks.....art really is for everybody.

Umbrella
I saw some amazing drawings in the books I looked at.


On Flying
I loved this book...full of passion and colour.  This page spoke to me.  Sadly how often this is true.  I know it is for me.


Security Blanket
Wow....what a great picture!...Aw shucks, this is one from my book....Jackets, Blankets, and Sheets.  What's life without a security blanket anyway?


Family
This family looked like they were having such a great time.  I met another mother and her 5-year old daughter who had each completed a book and were there to check things out.


Sketchbook Project 2011


Space

I had a really great time.  It was very fun knowing my book was on exhibit with the thousands of others.  I'm not sure I'd do it again, but then again, I'm not sure I wouldn't either. 

Thanks for your visit whether from the link at The Creative Exchange or from Weekend Reflections.  I'm always delighted to have you stop by.


11 comments:

Dyche Designs said...

Loved reading about the sketchbook tour. I submitted a book this year too . . . it will be coming to DC soon so I'm hoping to go and check out some of the multiple sketchbooks myself.

James said...

Great reflections and it looks like a wonderful place to spend the day.

Carol Blackburn said...

Sounds like you and your Mother had a fabulous day, Susan. Quite a few bloggers took part in the sketchbook project. I hope others post when they visit when it comes to their area too. I had no idea it was in Portland yesterday. Would have made a nice field trip with my grandson who is my biggest fan and quite the little artist himself (when the mood hits). Enjoy your day!

wenn said...

interesting..i would love to be there too!

jennyfreckles said...

What a lovely idea, sounds such fun. I love your photo of the family, good to capture such a happy, connected moment.
This is the first time I've seen your blog. I'm interested to say hello, as I'm deaf too.

EG Wow said...

Thank you for sharing so much information about this wonderful project. I'm impressed that you entered and I'm jealous that you got to see the results in person. Very cool!

lisa said...

What a wonderful project Susan. Never heard of anything like this, and I just love the idea. Thank you so much for sharing this at The Creative Exchange this week, and I wish you a beautiful weekend!

lisa.

Karen said...

Love that first shot! What a great way to spend the day.

'Tsuki said...

You must have had so much fun on that very day, taking all those pictures in the Library... The meal must have been quite good too, judging by this mouth-watering shot... Thanks for this lovely sharing of a slice of your life.

Ms. Becky said...

I've seen badges on blogs about this project, but never investigated what it was all about. thanks for sharing, it seems a really good thing. and how lucky you are to have been able to actually go to a spot and read some of the books. this is pretty awesome. I admire your tenacity for sticking with it and completing the project. way to go Susan. and your sketches look fun too - another example of your character shining through. this was delightful. I really love photo #12. great shot.

Clare B said...

I'm so glad that you managed to go Susan and still a little upset that I didn't get around to finishing mine in time. The project is such a wonderful idea... maybe next year?