Pages

Followers

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pacific Blue P64 and Creative Exchange 236/365

Linking with Project 64 for this week's color contest of pacific blue and also linking with the very sweet and talented Lisa at The Creative Exchange.  It's a 2-fer.








I've yet to figure out why I'm drawn to shooting graffiti.  I mean, not 24/7, but it's something I have a hard time passing by/up without getting a little rush and a busy trigger finger.  I know that graffiti is destructive, a nuisance, and sometimes offensive, yet I still "have" to photograph it. 

Wall
Pacific Blue GERU on the wall.



project64 button



Autograph
Autograph

Maybe it's like singing the blues-tho' they're not a nuisance or destructive, but they're sure as hell not up-beat.  I used to like up-tempo feel good dance music AND slow mournful/melancholy music in minor keys or the Dorian mode (that is where the Dorian Susan moniker came from), so I guess it's OK that my last post was full of seemingly perfect pink spring flowers and this one is....................not.

Imperfect
{236/365} Imperfect


The thing about catching graffiti is, it's often in areas that can be a little edgy.  I have a sense of wanting to watch my own back-no can do when I have a camera attached to my face.  Being hard of hearing, that sense doesn't alert me to danger-so I guess I'm going to continue to just be careful and observant and trust that inner "gut" feeling and not stray too far from safety and known quantities.

Metal Works
Metal Works Building

Decay
Decay

Some of my best graffiti finds are near train tracks and rail yards-and I love shooting those as well.  Time to stop thinking about it, and just enjoy the rush.....and the little surprises that come along to delight me.

Tracks
Tracks


Moving Train
Moving Train


Rush
Rush

9 comments:

lisa said...

These are wonderful Susan!
In addition to old buildings and flowers, I have a thing for trains, so these are especially special!
The sixth one here is my favorite. The perspective is wonderful!
Pacific Blue used to be my favorite color in the box of Crayolas!

Thank you so much for sharing these today at The Creative Exchange.

Have a wonderful day!

lisa.

Carol Blackburn said...

Fabulous shots, Susan......love your graffiti shots, too. I know it's considered urban blight but it's also urban art. I've seen a few cities that designate certain stone walls or building they can legally tag on and they are magnificent.

Woody said...

We must be related. I love old industrial areas and anything to do with trains. I'm in overload if I take the train down to Philly, there are so many photo ops.

Scrappy Grams said...

These sites are full of texture, which I'm drawn to, but living close to them, not so pleasant. I like Carol's idea for urban art. I think if there were designated spots around the city, there surely would be less destructive graffiti. I see lots of it on train cars passing by.

Brooke said...

great shots, love them all! I too like graffiti shots and the geru one is great for pacific blue

Jamie said...

What awesome shots - your photos blow me away every day.

Pat said...

It's nice to get away from birds and flowers and butterflies once in a while and take in the gritty workings of civilization! Love your graffiti shots here and especially your train shots. What is it about trains, that so many find them appealing? Take care!

Anika said...

I love those decrepit looking walls too, so much character and graphic display! Great shots!!

La Principessa Errante said...

Fabulous, the decay, the graffiti, it evokes such emotion and you captured it so beautifully.