Pages

Followers

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Blue

Linking with 52 Photos Project on this week's prompt "blue hour".

52 Photos Project


I have always loved "the blue hour", but didn't know it was called the blue hour.  Now I'm in the know. Blue is my favorite color and the sky takes on such a rich deep hue, I've always found it appealing.  It is the one thing I like about the fact that the sun/light is leaving and darkness is creeping in.

I had a great impromtu shoot a couple Monday nights ago and caught the blue hour.  I hadn't had a chance to share several of those photos so I'm glad to have this prompt.  I don't take a lot of photos at this time, but I should venture out more often for it-it so appeals and summer is the perfect time to do so.  My biggest problem is I'm not sure how to process this type of image to reveal it's best, so hope I've done the image justice.

Here's my blue hour capture:

Blue
Blue

Commerical fish docks along the Piscatiqua River between Maine and NH with silhouettes of bridges in the back drop.



A little earlier in the evening I caught this speeding boat passing the mid-river channel marker.  The sun was coloring the water beautifully.  As much fun as I was having snapping pics, these 2 looked like they were having the most fun that evening.


Tasting Summer
Tasting Summer


If you have suggestions about how to better color correct these images, I'm all ears.  I'm sort of at a loss.
Thanks for checking out my pics today.

11 comments:

helena said...

funny yesterday when I took photos of the sea in the evening I noticed how blue they looked - now I know that it was during the blue hour

love your photos - love them the colour they are now

Ashley Sisk said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

justine said...

these are wonderful, makes me so envious of you being by the sea, what great shots. Thanks for your lovely comments, settling in well, the dogs are finding it tough as they haven't got all the space to run around and spend a lot of the time on the lead but hopefully they will get used to it!

Lis said...

I agree ... I wouldn't color correct these shots! The second one is like a painting the way the water/waves breaks up the light into "brushstrokes." And yes, to be by the sea ... ah ... what a treat for this landlocked midwesterner (who spent childhood summers at the shore!)

xo Lis

Woody said...

I've heard this called the 'golden' hour, 30 minuted before and after sunrise and sunset, where the natural light is best.

Great shots!

By color correction, I think you mean white balance. All photo manipulation programs support it. google will point you to a tutorial.

Scrappy Grams said...

not an expert, but I wouldn't change a thing in your shots
again, I would love to live by water; had never heard of the blue hour. love it!

Katie said...

I love the one of the boat docks with the bridges in the background. I think you needn't bother changing anything abou these---they're perfect just the way they are. Lovely!

Meri said...

I love the tranquility of the first image.

urban muser said...

Really beautiful. You've captured the essence of summer here.

Bella said...

Such a pretty time of the day - beautifully captured!

Ms. Becky said...

I'm way behind this week at getting around to my favorite blog haunts. this was worth the wait - I'm mesmerized. the color in the second photo, with the textures of the water well it doesn't get much better than that. love the glass-like reflections in the first one too. I think you don't need any further busy-work with these. they're fab as they are.