Pages

Followers

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Exploring POV 292/365

Linking with Kat for Exploring with a Camera on this week's subject....from a flower's point of view.
Hmmmm. 


Kat's thoughts about shooting from a flower's point of view kind of threw me for a loop....which can be a good thing or a not so good thing, depending on my creative level du jour.  I am a self-proclaimed anal-retentive, technical, Virgo with a side of perfectionism who happens to have a creative streak which I'm desperately trying to nurture and grow. 

Its been during my 365 project that I've noticed that some days I'm super juiced to take snaps and have no trouble filling my camera and the following day nothing seems worthy of a 2nd glance let alone a shutter click.  Reminds me of when I used to do some jogging how my body would feel free as a bird one day and like it was weighted down with bricks the next.

So...when I initially read about shooting from a flower's POV, it seemed kind of abstract and too much of a bother.  Two or three days ago however, it started to seem like an enticing idea to try.  I guess this is about letting creativity roll around inside until it's ready to speak on it's own terms.

Looking Up
Looking Up
I'm not too excited about this shot.  I am excited that for the first time ever since I moved my peony plant to a sunnier locale last fall, I'm going to have my very own peonies in my very own yard this year.  I do like the tiny droplets and cool shadows inside the bloom.  Who am I to say this flower doesn't like the view?


Tall Daisy's View
Tall Daisy's View
Before I re-read Kat's post....I took this shot thinking "if I were a tall daisy, what would I see?"  My anal-retentive, technical, Virgo, perfectionist self is a bit put off by that question.

Sidewalk
Sidewalk
I also got it stuck in my head that I was to take photos of flowers.....but down this low, might not I be a flower taking a peek at this long fence line?  I suppose I'd have to be a flower growing in the middle of the sidewalk, but that's just extra info my creative self can ignore.  The neighbor lady did shoot me an odd glance, but smiled when I said hello to off-set my potential quirkiness.


Tomato Plant
Tomato Plant
Soooooo not a gardener, but trying some tomato plants in containers on the deck.  This one is pretty cool...thank you Kat, I'm getting on board.  Look at the feathery details along the stalk. the interesting shadow shapes, and the cool rings of bokeh around the leaf.  Now we're talking.


Weeds
Weeds
This is a before the flower POV reading shot, but it kind of fits.  The neighboring weed was likely getting this view of it's buddy with a bug on top and an awesome sky behind it.


Blowing Buttercups
Blowing Buttercups {292/365}
This is my favorite of the bunch (pardon the unintended pun).  I think I would have discarded this photo as not well focused-a miss.  From a buttercup's view on a windy day however....this is spot on.  I'm pleased with the photo.

Those are my takes.  I shall keep working on this technique and who knows what might happen.  Thanks for looking and reading the rambles.


14 comments:

Woody said...

I'm right there with 'ya. I second-guess, third-guess, quadruple-guess my shots all the time.
I like all your shot, but I think the tomato does the best representation of the flower POV.

Scrappy Grams said...

when you got into theme mode, you produced many shots I love!

Kat Sloma said...

I love how you kept going, even though you weren't really sure about trying out the theme! I can relate to how you talk about feeling about things, it's hard for me to give up control and not have a spot-on, in focus photo. But I also have learned to love what my camera shows me, when I take photos from the flower's point of view. It looks like you have too! Your last one is really beautiful, you captured the freedom of the sailing buttercups wonderfully. Thanks so much for coming along and Exploring with a Camera with me!

Jamie said...

I am completely in love with the shot of the white daisies - it is so unique and beautiful

JM said...

Such beautiful shots! The one on top is outstanding, great job.

Kay L. Davies said...

I love them all, even the flower-in-the-middle-of-the-sidewalk point of view. I've often seen weeds grow through cracks in sidewalks, even roads. So good to look at life from someone (or something) else's point of view from time to time, like the "walk a mile in my shoes" idea. Gives my hidebound preconceptions a good shaking-up.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Dyche Designs said...

Looks like you had fun experimenting, love it.

Pieces of Sunshine said...

Nicely done. Yes, this photo challenge was one I wasn't sure about either and took a bit of exploring until I found some photos that were "working" for me.
Love the last one too.

Ms. Becky said...

I like your flow. that initially typed as glow, and that too would have been apropos. each one reflects your eye. if I had to pick a fave, oh that's difficult. there's something I really really like about each one. at first, the daisies, then the tomato, and for now I'm settling on the last one. it reminds me of a French countryside photo. never been there, but that's what I imagine it to be like. there's a sense of abandon about that photo that I love. it dances.

lisa said...

Great shots Susan!
I love the daisies.

Henrietta said...

Beautiful shots, my favorite is daisies, stunning:)

Laloofah said...

What a clever and challenging POV photo idea! (I've taken several photos from a flower's point of view in the past, and it's not easy! One must often contort one's rather cumbersome human form into unnatural positions, I've found!) :-) Good for you for working through the creative block you first confronted with this one, your patience and perseverance were richly rewarded!

I love them all (and the bit about the neighbor lady shooting you a look cracked me up), but my favorites are the field of daisies, the tomato plant (gorgeous, hope your tomatoes turn out half as beautiful as that picture!), and your favorite, the blowing buttercups. So cheerful and pretty!

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

You have an interesting blog -- like your camera work! -- barbara

Anna said...

Your post made me smile, as I can totally relate to your feelings about this challenge. Your tomato plant is my favorite. The light , shadow, and feathery detail is striking! Looking forward to seeing more of your work as a follower :)

P.S. I cheated on my shot. Hated the lack of control and focus, so I laid on the ground, focused, and shot! Don't tell.