Pages

Followers

Friday, June 17, 2011

Weekend Reflections

Linking with James wwwaaaayyyyy out in California for this week's Weekend Reflections.  Click on through to see reflections from not only the west and east coast, but from all around the globe.  Thank you James.



Last week I shared a few reflections from a photo walk I took in Portland,  ME along the waterfront.  I STILL haven't finished processing all the great snaps I got, but I'm getting closer to weeding the good from the bad, the worthy of processing from those that will sit for later, but I'm closing in on the end of that task.

I actually went to Portland because I wasn't in the mood to shoot quaint lobster boats and touristy harbor scenes that evening.  I headed north to "the city" to get some shots with more of an urban/downtown feel.....however....that's not what I ended up with.  I parked near the waterfront which was a big mistake (a mistake with fortune however) and the light was so wonderful, I couldn't help myself.  Hindsight-totally fine with my takes on the evening.

Friday Night Reflections
Friday Night Reflections
Along Portland's waterfront there are competing interests between residential and commercial needs.  To the right of this view is where some of the lobster boats have their wharf/docks.  I'm wondering if the bait smell might waft up to those residences on the 2nd story.  Ah the trade offs of waterfront living.


Amante
Amante
I simply could not turn my back on this scene in search of urban decay.

 
Customs House Diptych
Customs House Diptych
A block off Commercial Street stands the noble Customs House....still fulfilling the same role as it was built for nearly 200 years ago.  Several passing cars were wondering why I was snapping at the vacant modern building across the street-I'm convinced most people totally miss gorgeous reflections such as this one.

Water Musings
Water Musings


Dusk
Dusk
As a cloud covered dusk was coming on....I kept snapping as long as I could.

Glamorous Life
Glamorous Life
On the way back to my car, this view offered mirror like reflections of the lobster boats at rest directly across from the residential building and boat docks in my first shot.

Fun evening.  Glad I did it.  Thanks for taking a look at my reflections and have a great weekend.


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice shots, Susan. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. I will be working, :(
Anonymous aka Carol B.

Malyss said...

What a great collections of beautyful reflections! i like the mood of harbors! How many cities called Portland are they in USA?..I know one in Washington state..

Sylvia K said...

Terrific reflections for the day -- as always, Susan! I do love the watery reflections and this is a great series! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Kay L. Davies said...

I'd put up with the smell of bait any day for a chance to live with one of those balconies!
I love these photos, Susan. I feel I was with you as you explored, and laughing at the puzzled drivers as you caught that great reflection of the customs house. Gorgeous.
I can never resist photos of boats reflected at their moorings, whether working boats or pleasure craft.
Thank you for a wonderful tour.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

James said...

I always love seeing your reflections! These photos are excellent. I feel like I've been on a little tour without the fishy smells. :)

Rajlakshmi said...

amazing reflection shots :D
i love the second one the most

Reflection

Scrappy Grams said...

I'm glad I don't have to choose my fave because that is an impossible task! So many fabulous shots!

Emille said...

Wow, those houses (in the first pic) are so close to the water! Beautiful captures!

Dyche Designs said...

Stunning shots, love that first one.

Tes said...

Ooh..lovely reflection, shots! :)

Dianne said...

The reflections are so.. clear -I love the top pic- just lovely!
Have a great week-end.

Jack said...

Many wonderful photographs, too many to mention one by one. Great work.

Cezar and Léia said...

Bonjour!
A refined selection of reflections, your pictures are outstanding!My favorite is the second one, but all are beautiful.Your blog is very interesting, congrats!
Léia - Bonjour Luxembourg

Pat Tillett said...

Great reflections and photos! I need to get myself up to Portland, it's been a long time.

Caroline said...

Splendid pictures, great captured!

Ms. Becky said...

they've done the same thing along the Menominee River that flows through Milwaukee - put up condos all along and there are so many now that several sit empty. I've always wondered about that smell too, but the trade-off is having your own pier right outside your back door, with a boat moored, ready-at-the-waiting. that must be kind of fun. they're each superb in their own way, but I just wouldn't be acting natural if I didn't name my fave - Water Musings. love that spot of light. your reflections are always worthy of several go-rounds. (and thanks for your appreciation of my own this time, I suspect the words were a bit over-the-top for most but it was a necessary catharsis). have a great weekend my friend.

lisa said...

These are wonderful reflections Susan!

Tezzie said...

You find the best reflections! The "Water Musings" one is simply amazing <3

missing moments said...

I love Portland ... every year we spend time in September in Camden and Booth Bay Harbor ... been giving serious thought of where we want to purchase a second home ... I'm not a big city type girl but want the convenience nearby ... are you loving Portland?
BTW, love the pics ...