Pages

Followers

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Double Play (and I don't mean baseball)

Linking with Lisa at the Creative Exchange, and with Kat at Kat Eye View of the World.  Two great links; I hope I measure up.





 



I like the thought of posting to these two links together.  In my little funny mind they come from different angles, at least for me when I'm taking photos.  The idea, as I understand it, (and Lisa confirms for me that I've hit "spot on" her vision for her link-she's so sweet) the photo(s) to share here are ones that didn't so much come from my head and how I technically brained out the shot, but images where I got swept up in an unexpected "oh wow" moment and ran with it and it worked.  Being a self-described anal retentive, Virgo, perfectionist, well, that's a delightful magical moment that sometimes happens while I'm taking photos...and I like it.  Watch out, next I'll stop balancing my checkbook to the penny and the whole world will tilt a little further on it's access.

Kat's theme du jour is "reflections in glass".  When I saw that I was excited; my buddy James over at weekend reflections has turned me into someone who no longer sees mud puddles but instead water palates full of images-thank you James.  Kat's Exploring With a Camera I believe gives me things to think about to make my images creatively better.  So when I get that rush of heart like "OMG this is so cool" and I start aimlessly snapping-which is fine-Kat's ideas remind me also to then slow down and think.  I'm looking forward to Kat's Find Your Eye class coming up.  Check this link if you're interested.  Kat's a great source of info-and very nice too.  Bonus.

While these seem to be two different approaches....they're both feeding me and in good ways, so thanks ladies. 


Sunday night....my car's starter on it's last legs, the thought of chasing down photos in my car (and becoming stranded in the boonies), was....unappealing.  The thought of sitting on the couch with a movie-that WAS appealing, but I ventured out thinking perhaps along Main Street I could find some of those window reflections with Kat's suggestions in mind and walk the couple miles home if necessary.

Sleepy
Sleepy
On Sunday nights, there's not much tourist traffic...kind of nice to have a break.

Brick Store
Brick Store Museum
It had been "old home week"...whatever that means.  I guess it means, put your bunting out and look festive.


Sunday Night, Work Tommorrow
Sunday Night, Work Tomorrow
I'm thinking this guy wanted to sit on the couch and watch a movie too.  He's doing the "quick" version of walk the dog.


Along Main Street
Along Main Street
But, this one block of old buildings offered some cool window reflection photo ops.  The Unitarian church across Main Street from the museum.


Directional Arrows
Directional Arrows
Who doesn't love playing?   A little selfie in the window-what I like is all the other stuff too; the side of the church, fence, hanging plant, the chair inside the window, and what I didn't see until I looked at home were the directional arrows painted on the road to guide traffic.  I'm digging all those reflections.


Window Bunting
Window Bunting
All these announcement flyers vs the reflections are kind of cool.

Parked Under Trees
Parked Under Trees
The good news is, my car did start so as I drove around the back way towards home I found reflections in this resting bus' windshield.

Frame Shop
Bob's Frame Shop
And back on the corner my fave shot of the evening....
This is a window through a window view providing reflections on both sides not to mention the cool display Bob likes to put up of local art-he's the best frame guy around too-not to mention sweet as can be.  You're in Kennebunk and need framing, Bob's your guy.

Thanks for looking and if you're the patient sort, reading my blah, blah, blah.  I think I talk too much.  Thankfully it's my blog so I can.  Making my own rules is very cool.  Where else do you get to do that?  Have a great day.

16 comments:

Rosie said...

What a great selection of photos! Good thing you went out, Susan!

lisa said...

These are great photographs Susan! Glad you decided to venture out!

I love the way you describe your feelings about your combining The Creative Exchange and Exploring with a Camera. Love it because you sound excited in your post, and that is the very best!!

Thank you so much for sharing both your wonderful post and these great photographs today at The Creative Exchange.

Have a great afternoon!

lisa.

Carol Blackburn said...

Now wasn't that better than sitting at home, Susan? Camera in hand, you are a force to be reckoned with!

Tezzie said...

Ohhhh...gorgeous! Your town looks like something out of a storybook or a movie; so peaceful, quaint, and pretty! (and clean!)

Love that bus shot, the dog 'walk' and the angle in the first sidewalk photo is awesome!

Ms. Becky said...

looking at your photos is like combing through a treasured book. you amble your way along with these images, and it's so cool. I'm at a high WOW factor with the turquoise bus. it works so well. Bob's window is a fave too. I figured out what your photos have - it's soul. I don't see it real often, but I always see it here.

Kay L. Davies said...

I agree with Becky. I knew something about your photos really spoke to me, and she's right, they have soul. Thanks, Becky, for defining it for me.
I love all of these today but the last three are my favorites.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

missing moments said...

that was a nice
walk reflecting
on your wonderful
town

joco said...

Hiya,

Enjoyed your post.
Like you, I'm a Virgo, and like you, I have trouble prising myself out of the house at times, so my reflections are from home :-)
I'm glad you did manage to drag yourself away from the sofa: interesting to see your surroundings.

Kat Sloma said...

I loved this post, and that you are doing what you want, saying what you want. This is your space, we just get to visit and get to know you and I love that! I like your take on both of the challenges. I typically shoot from the heart, so I resonate with Lisa's Creative Exchange but I like to analyze after the fact and that feeds into my eye for the future... so it all complements each other! Your reflections are all so fun, my favorite is the church reflected in the window. It's so nicely framed! Thanks for linking in to Exploring with a Camera.

Kat Sloma said...

Thanks for the comment supporting my class too - woohoo!!! Can't wait. :)

Leckeres für Mensch und Katze said...

Great shots! LG Tina

James said...

What a nice place! I enjoyed the tour and I loved the reflections!

Pat said...

Great group of photos from your neck of the woods!

Phyllis said...

Hi Susan, I had to chuckle when I read your comment about being a Virgo. My dear husband is a Virgo, and sometimes we call him Mr. Anal!

Love all of your photo's and the tour around down town Kennebunk. I think I like Bob's shop the most.

And you weren't rambling, you were writing. Keep it up - it was entertaining.

Cedar said...

Oh! You are the queen of reflections, soul and composition! I love the church in the window and how your arms create an arrow, too. Much better than my selfie reflection. I do think I win in the talking too much category, though.

I am really looking forward to taking the class with you and learning from you and others!

Rebecca said...

I love your window reflections.