Pages

Followers

Friday, July 22, 2011

Good to Wow-week 28

Linking with Ashley for my good to wow shoot and edit.

The other day I shared my SOOC:
Summer-week 28

Here is my edited version of the same view......

Stillness
Stillness

Frankly, I don't know what I did to this image, and I don't know that it's much better.  I am new to using camera raw.  I did try to adjust white balance as that was the biggest issue with the original.  I think true working lobster boats are pretty grungy so I wanted to preserve that feel as well as the sense that it was a cool overcast and foggy day.

So, I played with all those fancy sliders.  I couldn't decide whether to up the saturation or perhaps even take it down a notch.  This was shot with a long zoom so clarity was an issue and I made use of that as well as the high pass sharpening.  I also added a layer and blurred and screened out some of the grey boat to make it seem less vibrant than the  Katherine Rose.
I then cropped and used the lasso tool to remove and patch out the yellow mooring in the lower left.  I don't know, from here it doesn't seem like there's too much change.  I'll try again next week.  All this editing is an art-and takes time and trial and error.

Now I need another cup of coffee.  Thanks Ashley for the tutorial help.  Hope I did some justice to the process.

6 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Sounds like a lot of hard work, Susan.........:) I like what that lasso tool does. Can it remove a pole from in front of the piece you want to keep. If so I have a shot you can work on for practice. Enjoy your day!

Ashley Sisk said...

I appreciate that your edit is really clean. Very nicely done.

Jamie said...

Whatever you did totally works - I love it.

Scrappy Grams said...

I always enjoy your water shots, whether SOCC or edited. I admit I do like the cropping you did on this one.
so whatever you used to edit can be found on Ashley's site? I am considering investing in Photo Shop so I can crop some photos I've taken, but I don't have much success using Windows Live tools. Have you used PS? Is it worth the expense?

Woody said...

Lightroom lists all the changes you made and you can click anywhere in the sequence to see the effects, which is really helpful to me because I have CRS (can't remember shit). I'd guess the exposure or brightness was increased a tad and the saturation was increased a little as well.

Nice!

Ms. Becky said...

I think it's a fantastic edit. what you did works for me. I just learned that editing .jpg files with ACR in Elements 9 isn't possible, they need to be RAW from my camera. that after spending an entire morning trying to do it!!! I have yet to shoot RAW in camera, but I'm going to try it soon I think. wishing you a fantastic weekend Susan. stay cool. I understand the heat wave we had is moving your way. oh joy!