Pages

Followers

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Exploring Color with a Camera

Linking with my friend Kat over at Kat Eye View.  If you don't know Kat, you should.  Punch on through.

OK...total confession time.  I didn't know the color wheel existed until I was choosing paint colors for the rooms in my house about 5 years ago.  How does that happen?  Maybe "art on a cart" through-out elementary school and poor art instruction in middle school (I was absolutely a killer shot with throwing clay balls though-once landing one in my teacher's mouth!...ooh that may be TMI) is to blame.  Art on a cart-oh the level of dedication and commitment to the arts.  Music teacher also traveled room to room-she didn't even have a cart.  How many times can you sing "Pecos Bill" without totally hating music class?

What am I talking about?  Oh yes, the color wheel.  I did see it hanging once in one of the art classrooms down the hall when I was a teacher, and thought it was pretty....rainbows in a circle....wow.

So, I was delighted for Kat's explanation about monochromatic, analxyqzwmfous(?), and some other kind of color combinations (obviously I need to go back and take a peek at the terms, though I understand the concepts).  Bare with me...up at 4 a.m. this morning-didn't sleep so good.  What's up with THAT?

So....yesterday I did a little hunting around for monochromatic colors, hunting?....no exploring.  I explored a couple blocks in a neighboring mill town for monochromatic colors (when one color dominates an image) because I could remember that one.  Here are some things I found.


Twenty One
Twenty One

This was the first thing that caught my eye.  Fessing up, this 21 catches my eye most every time I drive by.  This image may have too much green and white to call it monochromatic, but maybe I'll learn that it fits another category of color wheel-ism another week.


Rusted Door
Rusted Door
Biddeford isn't the "nicest" of communities....I got a nasty shout from a passing car while I was taking this one.  That rarely happens to me, someone poking fun at me for taking a photo.  When it does happen I try to think...."yah, scoff all you want.  Somebody would pay money for this image"....and try not to include "you dumb ass" at the end of my thought.  Whoops.


Past the Old Mill
Passing the Old Mill
Around the corner from the rusty door was the side of the mill.  Much more interesting with a bicycle passing by.  But I think almost every shot is better with a bicycle.  I got a shout on this shot too...."Do you want to buy the place or are you just taking pictures?"  I answered that one; I thought it was a bit more good natured.


Outside Hollys
Outside Holly's
This is my real capture of the day.  I think I hit it with this one.  I could see the bike from quite a distance and HAD to have it.  I also used the process of elimination that Kat talked about as the last Exploring topic to make this a better shot.

Look:

Pink Gas
Pink Gas

Pretty huh?  Serves them well.  "You know that pink gas station on the corner?"  No one ever says no to that.

Have a great day.  I'll look up those other color wheel terms and see if I can get them to stick in my mind.  Thanks Kat.  I'm smarter already.

17 comments:

hannah said...

Hello Susan,
Excellent examples of the point Kat made in her post.
Amazing how you found so many out there.

Dyche Designs said...

Beautiful shots and I love that rusted door.

deb duty said...

You really found some interesting buildings to capture. The first one with the 21 is my favorite.

MarieHarmony said...

I think I agree with you for your catch of the day - "Outside Holly's" photo is my favourite!
And the colour of the wall is lovely too.

Woody said...

I struggle with coloring flash light to compensate for inadequacies in the natural light.

I think your subjects are killer!! It's a shame people can't be more nice and open minded.

Tezzie said...

Great 'hunting'!!! I love that first one best, I think...but then I change my mind to another one every time I scroll through your collection ;) I'm keeping my eye out for the same exploration theme...although, time isn't exactly permitting much photography this week so I'll most likely have to resort to the archives :P

Carol Blackburn said...

Nice shots, Susan...I love the old buildings you show us.

Ashley Sisk said...

I'm so glad you posted this - I haven't given this prompt much thought but now I'm all set. Love it.

Brenda said...

Susan,
You always bring a smile to my face with your writing style.

Love all the rich colors and lovely textures of your shots. I too am in love with that "21" in the first image (and the "X" and the arrow). They add such beautiful graphic elements to the shot.

And the lovely pink gas station - you did an amazing job of eliminating all the unneccessary elements and creating a winning image.

(Not to be a show-off or anything, but the addition of green makes it a complementary color scheme - colors that are direct opposites on the color wheel. Hey - I have to get some value from my graphic design studies :) I'm sure Kat will be covering this in upcoming lessons.)

Kat Sloma said...

I agree with Brenda, you always make me smile with your writing Susan! Great examples, and I'm glad you braved the comments. I agree with you, that pink-and-bicycle shot is THE shot of the day. Monochromatic color AND the process of elimination in one - yes! Thanks so much for linking in to Exploring with a Camera. (And yes, Brenda is right, complementary color is coming soon to an Exploring with a Camera near you!)

gina said...

Clay ball...teacher's mouth? As a former teacher, I shudder, surely you exaggerate!

I love the images you found for this post -- seems like you prefer the warm side of the color wheel too. The bike shot is great, I see Kat's influence there.

Kay L. Davies said...

"Pink gas"! I love it. And did you know about purple gas? In the country, farmers would occasionally get stopped by the authorities (police, I guess) to see if they were using purple "tractor gas" in their cars because it was so much cheaper. I don't know if that happens any more.
I was so surprised to think of anyone not knowing the color wheel, then I realized I knew it all my life because my dad was a printer. Duh.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Becs said...

Beautiful photos - I also love the pink with the bike, fantastic shot and great examples.:)

JM said...

Love the brick façade, the rusty door and the bike against the wall. Great post!

lisa said...

Loving that bicycle shot Susan!
Just fantastic.

Anita Johnson said...

I taught art for 5 years, otherwise the color wheel would be a mystery to me too. Great shots, the bike on the wall, my favorite.

Phyllis said...

Great photos once again, Susan. I really like the photo of the man riding the bike by the brick building, it catches my eye and I wonder where he is going. Of course I also love the bike up against the pink gas station. I like the fact that you showed us an example of what the building looks like as a whole, as compared to your fabulous photo. (I know I would have been uncomfortable with people shouting at me - - you were brave!)