Pages

Followers

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Texture Tuesday

Linking with Kim Klassen over at the cafe for this week's Texture Tuesday. 
kimklassencafe

Last week I caught one of those last of summer afternoons in the next town over.  Biddeford is mainly a blue collar former mill town forever searching for renewal and new identity.  There is, however a road leading toward the coast and a quaint section called Biddeford Pool a few miles from town.  I don't head there in summer season when it likely is most beautiful, but have been inspired on visits in fall and spring when the little village is quiet and still.  It's a picture postcard throw back to earlier times.

Despite the "members only" signs and the warnings to keep of the wharf-there was no one around....so you know, what's one little loan photographer gonna hurt on a quiet Tuesday pre-evening?  Nothing at all, that's what.

While the harbor was pretty....I thought I'd share the more utilitarian side of things.

Bait Shed
Bait Shed

Lobster traps and bait barrels stacked near the bait shed.

On this image I used 2 layers of "Drop Cloth" and one layer of the new texture called "Thursday".  Why?  I don't know....I guess the drop cloth has kind of a grungy feel which reminded me of what these working wharves are really like.  Other than that, I'm just experimenting.
Thanks Kim.

15 comments:

Bonnie said...

Love the warm feel of this - great editing!

Rosie said...

I really like this Susan - great job!

I am learning too, as I wrote. I am a mixed media artist, intrigued by the concept of making hybrid art - and in reality, I love that digital artistry allows me to re-invent and repurpose my own "traditional" works, whether they be watercolour, oils, acrylics, etc.
The profile pic is one of my own hand-drawn characters (nicknamed the Queen), on a painted background. "beautiful" is taken from another acrylic painting in an earlier art journal! All good fun!
I'm the opposite to you - I'd like to do more photography!!

Brenda said...

Susan,
Wonderful textures - in the image itself as well as your post processing. Lovely light (as always!)

WildeLifePhotography said...

Great image. I like the texture, as you said adding a little bit of a grungy feel.

Kathy said...

Love the capture of the lobster cages. So much beautiful texture going on here both on what you applied and in the cages and wharf itself. I want to reach out and touch it.

Kathy

Dyche Designs said...

Beautiful image and use of texture.

lisa said...

This is WONDERFUL Susan!!
The light and color come together to make a magnificent image.
Beautifully done!

Ms. Becky said...

I think this image is fantastic. truly. I'd also like to see a before, so that I could know what the textures did to the original. it is a rich, fine photo that you post here. I'm taking you up on your suggestion about a collaboration. I suspect that we each could/would challenge the other in eye-opening ways. you take way more risks than I though. let's SCREAM.

Mira said...

the photo itself is really nice and the texture enhance it well. geat job! :)

Grandma Deal said...

I like this one a lot. Great job!

RainCityGirl said...

So glad you ventured into the off limits zone! The texture really adds to this one

Lisa said...

The grungy look is just perfect for this photo. Picture postcard describes it exactly.

Gilly said...

This has such lovely light and colour; it really gives a sense of place. And I like that the texture is quite subtle; although I love playing with texture myself, I think it's so tempting sometimes to overdo it, and then the texture ends up becoming more important than the image.

Carol Blackburn said...

Well, those before me have said it all Susan............wonderful!

ShonEjai said...

Beautiful use of texture!