Pages

Followers

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Texture Creative Tuesday Exchange

Linking with the Queen of Textures, Kim Klassen over at Texture Tuesday.

kimklassencafe

Also linking with the wonderful Lisa at the Creative Exchange if I can locate her at her new spot for linking creativity....I'm sure I will, eventually.




There's something about using textures that glides my mind and creativity to someplace that doesn't feel quite like my "niche".  Somehow I think I have to use a photo with a romantic feel, simplicity of a good life, pretty, flowers, charming.....I don't know....can't quite put my thumb or finger on it.  It seems I choose images and then the end result, although lovely, doesn't quite say me.

For the last couple months I've been trying to be consistent in linking with Texture Tuesdays to up my texture ability.  It is fun to play around with them in PS and see the results of others.  I believe if I just keep playing, I'll eventually find something that feels more comfortable for me.  Today I think maybe I got somewhere, and that means....yay, I figured something out.  That's always a good thing.

This week over at Kim's blog we were to use the texture "And then Some"....those are pretty easy rules.  I especially the pattern along the top edge.  Over at Lisa's blog, as long as you share something that comes from the heart, you're in the right place. 


Fall Grasses
Fall Grasses
I do love this photo.  I'm kind of a sucker for grasses blowing in the breeze.  I have a bunch of grassy shots in my archives.  Here's one I took this week on a cloud covered day.  See?  Romantic, charming, a feeling of simplicity in life.  Nice.  I think it turned out really well, but it doesn't feel quite like me.....so I decided to try something else.


Tres Texture
Tres

While I don't think this photo is as strong as the grasses image, I like the end result.  This is my friend Randy playing his new tres guitar.  It is a Cuban guitar with paired arrangement of 6 strings giving it a unique sound.  I like the effect of the same texture on this photo.  I used 5 or 6 layers, but by using "difference" or "exclusion" (I forget which) on one it gave me an effect that I like.  It has the feel of jazz or blues.  Glad I took the time to do some experimenting.

Thanks for checking out my textured images and creative wanderings.  One of these days I'll figure these things out.

12 comments:

Rosie said...

I love your photos, Susan! The grass is really fantastic - such a wonderful light! I haven't played around so much with textures lately, such a shame! But today I finally was in time for Texture Tuesday :-) Have a wonderful day!

lisa said...

Susan, both of these are beautiful, but you really outdid yourself with the second one. It is really amazing!

Thank you so much for linking up at The Creative Exchange today.

Have a wonderful day!

lisa.

Kathy said...

I love that grass shot...the lighting and your editing choices. Lovely.

Kathy

Brenda said...

Susan,
You have wandered into my secret method for applying textures - try everything until you find something you like. The "Difference" and "Exclusion" blend modes work only rarely - but when you get the right photo - WOW! As you have proved.

Susan said...

Oh my, I love these! Great work...

Nadege, said...

I love your grass shot...but I think the "Blues" image is fantastic.

Ms. Becky said...

hmmmmm....I can't decide which I like more. I love the light and movement implicit in the grasses shot. it IS soft and gentle and lovely. and after reading your assessment of Tres, I really like that one too. when I viewed it w/out reading what you wrote, I thought "whoa, Susan's gone wild". but I really do like the effect - he's surrounded in glow and I suspect, w/out knowing him, that's appropriate! it's groovy. and it makes me want to hear what he's playing. I give your texture creative tuesday exchange a two thumbs up. both are rich. happy day Susan.

ShonEjai said...

Outstanding photos! Well done!

Pat said...

Lovely shot of fall grasses and a perfect portrait!

fotogran said...

Love your grasses! Beautiful and nicely processed.

Tamar SB said...

I love the crab trap shots, Love how you captured the angles and shaddows!

Karen Dorcas, Artist said...

Wonderful shots. Your blog is beautiful. Thanks so much for visiting and sharing. kareninkenai