Pages

Followers

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Night

Linking with Photo Roma, because I keep forgetting and at present I'm remembering and, well....I bet you know how that goes.  My mind is not like a sieve, but more like a colander.  I do have many other endearing qualities however.

I haven't done much with night photography, yet this time of year when the light steals from the sky by 5 p.m. (grrrrrrr) it's a good time to experiment.  Actually December is even better when by 4:30 any remaining blue hour (more like 20 min) is "D for done".  I think I'm just bitching.

Anyway....I did snap a few night shots last night.  Drive by shooting from my car since is was not only dark, but also raining.  I am bitching.  I'll move along.

Street Lamp BW
Street Lamp
I processed this in color last night, and this morning thought it might have a Film Noir look in black and white.  I kind of like it.  Wish ol' Gene Kelley was walking by with his umbrella.

Rainy Side
Rainy Side
You know...any bokeh is good bokeh....couldn't resist a snap in the sideview mirror.


If you have an interest in night photography, you might push through to Photo Roma.  He gets some amazing shots.  So much to learn.  Thanks for swinging by to check my "beginner shots."

19 comments:

Susan said...

Love both of these! Your colorful reflected bokeh is so pretty.

Sylvia K said...

I do love both of your shots! I would love to get some night shots, but these days it isn't safe to be out on the streets after dark and I don't have a car -- and I'm using those for excuses when really I just don't know how to take night shots!! I need some lessons! Ah, but we do have SNOW and a lot of if for the northwest!

Sylvia

Carol Blackburn said...

Great shots, Susan....I agree with the Gene Kelley thing, "singing in the rain..."

shirley said...

Both are lovely, and I like the first one - great feeling to the photo. I need to get out for some drive by shots!

Kathy said...

I like how the light bounces off the wet street in the first photo.

Kathy

Francesco Miranda said...

I love the BW one!

This shot remember me Blade Runner...

Thank you for joining my Night Shot meme on Photo Roma

Leanne said...

Love the top one in B&W!

lisa said...

Susan, the first photograph here is AMAZING.
Just look at those beautiful tones!
Beautifully done!!

Deborah L. Tisch said...

Right before I read the words "Gene Kelly" I was thinking of that movie and how much this street scene reminds me of it. Great photo!

Nadege, said...

I love that second shot. I like the black and white edit of the first one, it adds more drama to the image.

Linda said...

I love both of these...I am intrigued by the first one - it really does look like the scene from a movie! Great job - and I always bokeh. So, today was a wonderful offering! Thanks - happy shooting!

Rebecca said...

That B&W has such a mysterious feel.

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

These are fantastic -- especially for drive-bys! :)

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

These are fantastic -- especially for drive-bys! :)

Brenda said...

Susan - WOW! I love your film noir shot - this definitely could be the poster for a Humphery Bogart detective film. So moody and mysterious. And your bokeh reflections in the rain drops - yeah, one can never have enough good bokeh - kind of like dark chocolate.

Hope you like your Digital Imaging class - don't hesitate to email me if there are any questions you think I can help with.

seabluelee said...

Susan, both of these are wonderful! The first one is my favorite...no, the second...no, the first...oh heck, I can't choose. They are so different they can't be compared anyway. That first one definitely does have an old, classic movie look about it. It makes me think of Jimmy Stewart for some reason.

Phyllis said...

yes Gene Kelly would be perfect in your night shot - love it in black and white - would be interesting to see it in color too

and I love your phrase "your mind is more like a colander" I can see it now on a tee shirt and bumper stickers !!

Cheryl Flatt said...

Susan-Love these two images! Light bokeh in the rain...fantastic!

Scrappy Grams said...

such a difference in the shot's feeling when you changed it to b&w! Gene's voice is now singing in my ears. :)