Pages

Followers

Friday, January 27, 2012

Selfie City

Earlier this month I decided to join up with a couple of new linkys.....and today they both have the same topic which makes this uber-easy for ME!  And that's what it's really all about....isn't it?  Me?  No?  Well when the topic is "self-portrait" it is all about me, which can be wonderful and a smidge uncomfortable at the same time.

So today I'm linking with Project 52, a prompt each week for the year. 

I'm also connecting with Urban Muser's once monthly link where to break the ice on this year long project it was suggested that we think about "piece of me"-in other words, someone super stressed could just photograph their thumb and be a-okay. And you thought I was kidding! Easy peasy. 



Thanks Ken
Thanks Ken

Actually, a friend from Flickr carved my name for me and I wanted to show him it had indeed arrived at my home and I was happy.  So, this is kind of a joke.



I am confessing to a hate-hate relationship with my tripod.  When this selfie thing came about in January, I dug it out of the car and plopped it in the middle of my living room.  After 3 days the dog stopped being scared of it.  I'm still working thru my issues.  I have used it a bit-but am still at the hate level.  It can be helpful though....more so than elongating ones arms, or stacking books.



Poetry BW
Poetry

I saw some really cool selfies in the {in the picture} Flickr linky and that helped me think a little more creatively about ways to take self-portraits.   This was an attempt to reproduce something fab that someone else did.  I will admit I wasn't as successful, and will also admit, (this is like a post of confessions) that I haven't read that book in over a year-it was on top of the stack I grabbed in that 10 second window between pushing the shutter and running to plop yourself into a relaxed (ha) pose.

My pets have been eyeing me with curiosity.  More oft than usual.


Thinker
Thinker

After posing for poetry I posed in this "leave me alone I'm doing the silent treatment" posture.  Of course I live with beings that don't speak.
Acting!

Bad Day BW
Bad Day

Another pose....I was trying to do an angry face.  Not bad. 
Acting!! 
I'd like this photo a lot more if it wasn't me.....


The other night I put my camera in my gym bag.  I was one of the last out so aside from myself and the awesome cleaner, there was no one around.  (OK, confessing I shouldn't have a camera in a locker room), BUT they have lots and lots of big mirrors there (confessing that it's really too many when you're between shower and dressed). Do you feel me on that mirror thing?  Egad.

Shower Fresh
Shower Fresh

However, I landed my fave selfie of the month, so it was all worth it, AND I didn't have to use a tripod. Sweet!

Thanks for swinging by and listening to all my confessions.  Perhaps I can skip either church or the therapist next week.



In The Picture

project 52 p52 weekly photo challenge my3boybarians.com

 

25 comments:

Jess said...

Haha! Oh, I love this post! Selfies are tough when you first start. Really tough. It gets oh-so-much-easier. Trust me! :)

Kathy said...

Omg...laughing my arse off here!!! You totally crack me up because the humor is all based on truth, lol. I've been following your progress in the Fllickr pool, but that last one is new to me. It is quite fabulous! Altho had I seen u in MY locker room with a camera...well...I won't elaborate :)

augcott said...

LOL
How creatively fun!!!!
Love your shots and your sense of humor!

seabluelee said...

Oh, Susan, you are so darned funny! I like all your selfies! I have to go home tonight and try to put together my post for {in the picture} and I know it won't be easy. I've been taking the photos but haven't even been brave enough to upload any to Flickr yet.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Wonderful capture. V

gina said...

Wow! I am very impressed with your creative approaches to selfies. The last one is terrific! Hope you don't mind if I steal your book pose. And I totally agree about the mirrors in gyms -- ugh!

Deborah L. Tisch said...

First of all...is that book by the same person of Prairie Home Companion? I was assuming that until I realized I can't see the entire name.

Secondly, this is a great set of self portraits! That locker room shot is my favorite.

I hope your animals have adjusted enough so that you won't have to take THEM to therapy.

Kay L. Davies said...

Love the Garrison Keillor book.
And the locker room shot came out beautifully. Your eyes absolutely twinkle.
I think a thumb shot is too too funny, and wonderfully creative.
But "angry" does look more like "a bad day" than anger.
Great selfie day, Susan, and the best part is...I'm glad I don't have to take pictures of myself.
K

urban muser said...

i really had fun on my visit to selfie city today susan :) i've enjoyed watching your progress so far and i am so glad to have you as part of the project. thanks for linking up today at {in the picture}!

smiles, Sharon said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE COMING TO VISIT YOUR BLOG. WHEN I NEED A CHUCKLE I KNOW WHERE TO GO....YOU ARE AT YOUR BEST WITH HUMOR. OKAY, NEXT, YOU HAVE A LOT OF GUMPTION TO DO THE SELF PORTRAIT THING....AND YOU DID A SUPER JOB!!! HONESTLY I WOULDN'T SAY SO IF I DIDN'T MEAN IT. WHEN YOU TAKE ON A PROJECT, YOU GO FOR IT. NOW I KNOW THAT YOU AND I HAVE VERY SIMILAR HAIR CUTS!!! NOW SEE I WOULDN'T KNOW THAT IF YOU HADN'T TAKEN A PHOTO OF YOURSELF....BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, BECAUSE I AM ALLERGIC TO PHOTOS!!! KEEP IT UP...YOU ARE FANTASTIC. SMILES; SHARON

Nadege, said...

I love your selfie shots, they are all great.

Leanne said...

These are great, love the last & the one with the book you're not reading :)

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

You are so funny, Susan. Selfies are really difficult for me too -- I need to do some more.

I love these -- you did great and you have the prettiest eyes.

Have a wonderful weekend. :)

Donna said...

Oh! You had me laughing as you described your approach to this prompt. Regardless, the last picture is my favorite. You look happy. It was a great shot. Woth bringing the camera to the locker room.

Brenda said...

Love the line - "I'd like this photo a lot more if it wasn't me.....". HA! That describes my feeling about every photo that I have ever seen of myself. I completely understand the "hate-hate" tripod relationship as well. And the "gym-mirror" thing. But I agree that the results of your non-tripod shot are beautiful. Yes, beautiful - I mean YOU!

martinealison said...

De très belles captures photographiques...
Gros bisous

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love your expression in that last shot. So relaxed.
Rinda

georgia b. said...

selfie city... i like that. i also hate my tripod... still can't get used to it. it just seems so cumbersome to set up. but it sure comes in handy for getting a good shot.

Kathryn Dyche Dechairo said...

I hate my tripod too, think I've only ever used it to photograph the moon. Not sure I'm couragious enough to do the self portrait stuff yet but I think you did a great job. Especially love the black and white image.

lisa said...

These are wonderful Susan!
All of my dogs are petrified of my tripod. :-(
They've never gotten used to it though. They are also vary afraid of a camera flash.

justine said...

great post! I love your last shot as you have got the light in your eyes perfectly, how nice someone made you something too! looks like you are really enjoying these selfie challenges. I took a couple of shots and made the mistake of asking my husband and he said they were awful so I deleted them! think I might do an irving penn and put a paper bag on my head for next week.

Sarah Huizenga said...

Love all the confessions and all your attempts. I love the one in the locker room too.

kathyL said...

With all of the time you'll save skipping the therapist & church - take more selfies! Nice shots - especially loved "shower fresh".

Cheryl Flatt said...

Love your humor and confessions! And understand your relationship with the tripod. I had a wrestling match with mine the other day....it won. Your "shower fresh" shot...wonderful!

Gilly said...

Love that last shot - it's great to see your face! I hate tripods too, and I hate seeing myself in photos even more; selfies are definitely not for me. It's a lifelong thing - there's a photo of me hiding behind my mother's deckchair when I was seven because I didn't want to be photographed (you can see my shadow through the canvas).