Pages

Followers

Monday, March 5, 2012

Creative Exchange

Linking with my friend Lisa for this week's Creative Exchange.  Thank you hostess with the mostest.





Sometimes I feel like I've photographed e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g within a 10 mile radius of my home.  Everything of interest that is.  About 6 months ago that was really getting me down.  Blah, blah, and blah.  I don't know when the change came about, but in my head it gradually became okay to shoot something I'd already taken photos of.

At times I still get discouraged; new things, locations, situations are so much fun to work with. Perhaps, however, there is more growth as a photographer re-visiting and seeing with fresh eyes or from fresh angles, or simply finding within the stamina for fresh or renewed energy. Maybe this "new" energy isn't as intense as on the first visit, and lets you see more.  Or maybe I'm just thinking up ways to convince myself I can go back for a second or third or fourth look and find more.

Case in point.....this farm.  I've stopped here several times, though it's been awhile.  It is so classic.  It has oreo cows (belted) and a silo, fencing, and barn.  You can't really get too close, especially with all the recent snow, but I did find something to enjoy and inspire the other day.  And I felt an energy-not a scattered one, but a focused one.  That was kind of new itself.  I may be growing up after all.....

.....nah.

Hay Bales in Snow
Hay Bales in Snow


Pasture
Pasture


Silo
Silo


Thanks for taking a little peek at my images today.  Always delight in the Creative Exchange-and awe in the talent among the participants.  Happy day to you.

21 comments:

Kathy said...

I really like that second shot! There is just something about the pattern and soft bend of the barbed wire that is so captivating to me.

Evelyn S. said...

Oh, I know exactly how you feel! I've driven a multitude of roads, visited the cemetery many times, and tried to find something "new" for my camera. I can see it's still winter in your part of the world....no snow here, but icy mornings and chilly winds. It's tough to go out with a camera. I do like what you've captured; there is a definite feeling of season in your images.

Susan said...

Beautiful! I love the shot of the fence. I hear you on the feeling you've shot everything of interest in your area. I need to expand my radius, or start creating interesting still-life shots.

Vita Stunder said...

Beautiful!

Carol Blackburn said...

Wonderful shots, Susan. The hay bales are always my favorite especially when topped with snow they remind me of frosted mini wheats cereal.

Carol Blackburn said...

Wonderful shots, Susan. The hay bales are always my favorite especially when topped with snow they remind me of frosted mini wheats cereal.

Tamar SB said...

Love that first one of the barn, the snow, and the hay bails! So many lines and colors - lovely finds!!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Beautiful photos.

Regards and best wishes

Brenda said...

This is something that I struggle with all the time. Walking the same streets, the same places over and over. Trying not to repeat myself - feeling like its cheating if I shoot the same subjects over again.

But I think you are right - there is a different experience when it is a familiar place. Sometimes I challenge myself to find something new at an old place. To see it in a new way. Sometimes that works - sometimes it doesn't. But I do think it is a good exercise.

In any event, I think you were rather successful in your re-visit to this farm. Great shots - every one.

lisa said...

These are beautiful Susan, and I am glad you decided to photograph it again. When I do this, if I look really hard, I always find there is something new and wonderful that I've missed.

Thank you so much for sharing with us today at The Creative Exchange.

Have a wonderful evening!

lisa. xo

Linda said...

I loved the hay bales...but you have done the other views justice also...nice photos!

A Garden of Threads said...

Wonderful shots. Farms are always get subject to photograph.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Next to barns I find silos so fascinating. A lovely composition in the last photo. Very nice. V

CameraCruise said...

Beautiful shots, love the last one!
Have a great day.
Mette

gina said...

The pasture scene is just lovely! It is a challenge to find something new in a familiar place, but I remind myself that the light is always different. I have to be in the right mood to revisit a place -- sometimes I just need something new. So we need to mix it up, don't you think?

James said...

Great shots Susan! I can relate to constantly wanting see and photograph new things. However I never get tired of photos like these but sadly there's nothing like it around here.

Gilly said...

I think it works both ways: somewhere new and exciting is always inspirational and a lot of fun, but you don't always get the best shots. Going back to somewhere familiar is much tougher, but you learn more and it stretches you so much more as a photographer. It's better if you really like those familiar places - hard to keep coming up with new approaches for something that you didn't like much in the first place!

If you look at some very well-known photographers like Ansel Adams and Edward Weston, you find they kept going back again and again to what was in their 'backyard' - it just so happens their backyard included Yosemite park and Point Lobos, but people like Andre Kertesz and Josef Sudek (for example) kept photographing very ordinary things and places and made you see them in a fresh way.

Anyway, seems to me you've got some good shots there, and please don't even contemplate growing up!

Cathy H. said...

I'm having some serious snow envy here!! I love the beautiful red barn against the white snow! I think my favorite would be the second one! I love the lines of the barb wire!!

Tezzie said...

LOVING that first photo! I've got to try to take your advice to heart...I've gotten so very bored with my environs, that my poor camera is lucky to get out and about once a week :(

As usual, you're an inspiration <3

Nancy Claeys said...

I often think about how I could have shot something better or different, but rarely revisit these ideas. Your post has given me the nudge to do so. Great shots - love the first one. :)

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

I love the colors. Great composition too.