Pages

Followers

Monday, March 12, 2012

Creative Friend Exchange

Linking with Lisa for this week's Creative Exchange.









One of the great, and I think unexpected things, about blogging is the friendships that come along.  At first you stick your thoughts and images out there, imagining no one will read them (well, except for your Mom and/or your friend), but soon enough you get a follower, and another, and soon you're connected to people who become your blogging friends.  It's wonderful.  I actually imagine what my blogger friends look like, the house they may occupy...how strange is that?  But I legitimately have developed friendships with "people" out there in bloggerland.  Friendships that are real and are sincerely dear to me.

Last spring I took a class with Kat over at Kat Eye Studio (check out her classes, they're wonderful-and yes, Kat's a friend).  After making a few posts to the class pool, I noticed one of the other participants was posting images from a town that's a 20 min drive from me.  It was the oddest sensation to realize a fellow blogger was shooting some of the same things I was; traveling my roads.

We've since connected-in person-several times.  Early yesterday morning we went on another photo walk, and, as has become tradition, breakfast out afterwards with fun conversation.  Such a gift!!  Lee of Sea Blue Lens is not only my blogger friend, but somewhere in the last 4 or 5 months, has become my "friend", friend too.

View
View

Lee is planning to move out West later this spring.  Yesterday after breakfast while looking over the photos from the morning, it suddenly hit me....I'm going to miss her when she leaves Maine.  I've come to very much enjoy our outings and conversations.  Sad for me, yet happy for her knowing she's on her way to life's next adventure.  I'm glad we've had time to truly connect (and still have a few more months to do so).

Lee is very gracious.  We are two very different people, very different photogs, yet...it works.  We meet, she goes over here, I go over there, we pass by....check how each other is doing, and trade spots.  We come away with entirely different images, yet both satisfied.  She puts up with my obnoxious sense of humor and continues to seem to enjoy my company.  How much better can it get?


Leon
Le'on

This is Lee at breakfast yesterday laughing and saying "don't you dare" at the same time.  Of course I didn't listen.  Doesn't she have the most wonderful smile and pretty blue eyes?  She snapped a pic of me afterwards too.....I'm sure my smile won't look as wonderful as hers.  I'm sure she'd like to kick my ass for posting her photo.  I'm sure she will next time I see her.

Walking Away
Walking Away

Yesterday was the first day I saw a time limit on this lovely connection, this gift that's happened because of blogging. There is still time to enjoy it....and in fact Lee has boasted of some glorious daffodils we're going to experience together soon....but there's a piece of me that feels change coming; that feels a friend who will soon be walking away.

The good part.  We'll still be blogging friends.  And, with family in the area, she'll call me when she's in town and needs a friendly and quirky photog to go off with in the early morn for photos and breakfast.

Should you have the chance to meet someone you call a blogger friend-take it.  While first meeting can be a little like a first date, it quickly falls into place very easily.  I hope as time progresses I have a chance to meet more of my blogging friends in person.
Thanks Lee.


And....as a P.S. I must say, while totally understanding, I'm sad to hear that CE is closing.  I am grateful for this wonderful forum.  It has been a place where I have grown, thought, felt and definitely "exchanged". It has been a fabulous meeting grounds for new friends-just as my post here resonates.  Hopefully we'll cross paths on other memes. 
Thank you to Lisa for providing this space for as long as it made sense for you to do so.  Putting #1 where she belongs is sooooooopppppppeeeeerrrrr important and glad for you that you've done that.  Will see you on your photo and your chatty blog too.

17 comments:

Kathryn Dyche Dechairo said...

I know what you mean about developing some beautiful friendships through the blogging community. I'm sorry that your friend will be moving away but such is the ebb and flow of life. Maybe it's opening a door for someone new to enter into your life. That sounds rather cheesy doesn't it.

seabluelee said...

Aww, Susan, you made me cry. At work. Don't worry, I'm plotting my revenge.

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you know I feel the same way. And know you have a place to stay if you're ever in SoCal!

Brenda said...

Susan - how very lucky you both have been - to have taken a virtual friendship the next step into a face-to-face relationship. You have written such a lovely tribute to friendship - in all the forms it takes. How lucky we are to live in a time that connections can be made in all sorts of ways. To recognize that this blogging adventure has resulted in friendships across the world is really rather mind-boggling. Thank you for sharing your journey and your images of Lee.

PS - can't wait to see her revenge!

Rosie said...

How wonderful, Susan, to have found a such a good friend, and then so sad to see the end of it, too. A sad Monday with the ending of Creative Exchange on top... Your photos are wonderful, however! :-)

Jamie said...

I love this story - the friendships I've developed blogging mean the world to me and I love seeing them carry over into other aspects of life.

Lisa Gordon said...

How very fortunate you are to have met Lee, Susan, and she definitely does have a wonderful smile.

Thank you so very much for your kind words, and for being a part of The Creative Exchange. Ending it, at least for now has been one of the saddest decisions I've had to make, but sometimes "duty calls," and in my heart, I know I'm doing the right thing by helping out.

I will surely still see you here my Friend!

lisa. xo

Linda said...

What a great story! You are both very fortunate to have had time together. I reconnected with a long-ago friend as a result of blogging, and have found a few people that live close enough to visit soon. I agree - blogging is a wonderful world!

LeAnne said...

Beautifully put. I am also sad to see the CE go. I never imagined what the blogging community of photogs would come to mean to me but the relationships are real indeed

Clare B said...

I was also a bit sad to see today that the Creative Exchange is closing. I've been so absent from the blogging world lately, but somehow expected that things would always be there when I had time to return again. Lovely to see that you are still here Susan and you are right - blogging friends becoming friend-friends is a wonderful gift.

martinealison said...

Le monde des blog est merveilleux... Un véritable cadeau qu'internet ait crée...
Je vous remercie tous d'exister...
Gros bisous et merci pour cette belle publication.

gina said...

I agree that one of the best parts of this blogging experience is making new friends from around the world! I feel like I've gotten to know some of my blogger friends really well. I've actually shared things with them that I haven't shared with my "real" friends. Interesting, huh? How great that you could connect in person with Lee. Kat is coming to San Francisco and a few of us are joining her for a photo walk. I'm so excited!

MG Atwood said...

what a heartfelt post. If Lee is coming west, send her my way, and I'll tuck her under my arm. I would love to have a photo walk/friend.

Susan said...

Such a great post! Love the last shot. It sounds like you will soon have a reason to visit the West coast too!

Cathy H. said...

How very special it is that you met online in Kat's class and then were able to meet in person!! The friendships I've made through these classes are the best!! Lovely pictures of Lee!

RainCityGirl said...

Lovely post, Susan. I was over at Lee's blog and you both share such a wonderful friendship. We are so lucky with the blogosphere that we can stay in touch with our good friends - new and old.

Anita Johnson said...

How fun to have a friend like that...so glad you can still be connected to each other by blogging. I saw this all the time, the photo blogging community has been such a blessing to me...the best thing the internet has going! Love your reflection photos too.

Gilly said...

Oddly enough, most of my best offline friends are people I made contact with through the internet first, and then eventually met up with. I don't know what we did before this thing existed; I know my life was the poorer. How wonderful that you found someone so near that you get on with so well. I'm envious. She looks lovely and I wish I could join you both on one of your outings.

As someone whom I hope counts as one of your blogger friends, I sincerely hope that one day we'll get the chance to meet up too. So if you ever fancy a trip to the Uk.....