Pages

Followers

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Giant Leap for Susan-kind



project 52 p52 weekly photo challenge my3boybarians.comLinking with Project 52. 
This week's subject, "a great leap"....yah, leap year, got it.

I've noticed a bunch of fun "jump" shots for quite some time now and had yet to try one.  Note the word YET.  I sprained my ankle pretty intensely last June and jumping was not a good idea for a long time, a long time.

So, I sat an admired jump shots and thought I'd try one "some day".  I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials and tips out there, but needing the shot for the linky today.....did I read them?  Ummm.  No.


Here are a few tips that I can now give to you:  (there is no charge for this valuable information)

1.  Set up your tripod out in the driveway so all the neighbors who think you're a little nuts, will now be totally convinced.

2.  Wear heavy hiking boots, a bulky sweater, and your winter jacket.  It's not about keeping it light and looking svelte.

3.  Buy a remote self-timer with a 2 foot cord attachment.  This will help you a LOT.

4.  Embrace multiple photos of your body with no head attached.  Seriously, face, hair, heads....they're over-rated.

5. Don't think about your hands and what they do when you jump....trust me, they'll look just like those figure skaters and ballerinas you see on TV.

6.  Timing isn't everything.

7.  Asking a friend to help you is entirely unnecessary.  This is a simple "selfie" project.

8.  You won't need to process your images at all.  Just download, SOOC, and post.



Jump
Jump

Seriously, I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.  My neighbors got a good laugh and so did I.
And yes that is legit air I got there....especially with that left leg.

Don't worry, I'll be trying this again, perhaps out back after the snow melts or in the privacy of the interior of my own home.



12 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Susan, I want to see one of those side kicks. Believe it or not my Mike can do one. Maybe I'll get him to let me take a pic of him doing one. Not happening.

Ross said...

Great photo! Hope you had a fantastic weekend.

seabluelee said...

I love it that in this window Blogger says "Jump to Comment Form." Susan, you're so funny. Wish I'd been there to watch! I do like that shot, though, however you managed it. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Kathryn Dyche Dechairo said...

You crack me up, I can just picture you taking a serious of hilarious photos while the neighbours looked on.

Kathy said...

OMG....I'm chortling! That's a few steps better than chuckling ALMOST at a full out guffaw! :) You forgot to add: You can reward yourself with a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream because of all the calories you burned off doing your "selfie" workout :).

Linda said...

I, for one, was laughing out loud! Never mind chuckles...this was a hoot! Well before you got to the photo, I was imaging all kinds of gyrations, and photos minus body parts...I liked the one you settled on, but I would have loved to see the others! Way to go!

gina said...

Too funny, Susan! Congrats, your selfie came out great! I don't know how many shots you took -- I took about 20 before I got a good jumping selfie. You should try this with the camera on the floor and a 10 second timer -- that makes it interesting!

justine said...

ha ha! you do make me laugh! this is great and love how you have done the whole thing and used the text and overlay, well done! look forward to seeing more.

urban muser said...

you make me laugh! this is great. seriously, the key to a good jump shot is to turn your body slightly to the side and then kick your heels as hard as you can up towards your butt. it really gives the illusion of some serious air. try it when the weather gets warmer :)

James said...

I love it! Were you playing the Van Halen song called Jump? :)

"Wear heavy hiking boots, a bulky sweater, and your winter jacket" This would have convinced my neighbors that I'm nuts because it was about 85F on Sunday. :)

Gilly said...

You really made me laugh here! I love that jump shot, particularly whatever it is you've done to it after shooting.

Cathy H. said...

This is fantastic!! Love your story!! I'm not sure I could even get off the ground!!