Pages

Followers

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Photo Heart Connection




I need to write my PHC tonight or it will get lost in the later/procrastination pile along with the other things jumbled in my head...finish the taxes, mop the kitchen floor, mat and frame that photo of Tula I like so much, finish painting the trim in the hallway, clean the garage.  You know how that goes. I don't want to let PHC slide over into "the bottomless stack".

Two days ago I looked through my images for February and came up with 3 possibilities for PHC.  This wasn't one of them.  But, tonight it speaks the loudest to me-and when a photo talks, I try to listen. 

Night Moves {6/52}
Night Moves {6/52}


I find the images that most touch my heart are those that come in a moment, an impulse, an opportunity that presents and that I take rather than pass up.  My February "runner up" images, were also those kind of photos.  They were not planned, studied or thought over-they were the instantaneous grabs.  I need to let that resonate within me...."instantaneous" impulses.  They are what most satisfies my soul, my creative being.  They speak.  I do believe these photos often speak for me the things I cannot say.


I know when I took this.  A Friday night.  After work.  An impulse to stop at the local fine foods place for a bottle of red and a slice of gourmet vegetarian pizza.  A twist of the steering wheel taking me to the right rather than left.  As I got back into my car (with wine and pizza) I suddenly became enchanted with my side mirror. (I could almost hear Tula sigh from the back..."oh no; not again".) 

I liked this image right away, but tonight it speaks more clearly.  I have been spending a lot of time looking behind me.  I am caught between who I used to be as a teacher and a hearing musician and who I will be next.  I am trying to find a role to step into, to own, but the road ahead is still silent and dark, despite my efforts to illuminate it.

I just wrote this 2 paragraphs ago...."instantaneous" impulses. They are what most satisfies my soul, my creative being.  I am trying to force something to happen for my future and perhaps that is not how the future will come to me.  I can see there is light coming my way-I can see it behind me moving in my direction.   "a moment, an impulse, an opportunity that presents and that I take rather than pass up".

It is unsettling that the answers still elude me, but I suppose knowing that and riding the wave, is faith. 

Night Moves.  Moves.  Hmmmm.  Night is not standing still, nor is the darkness, nor is the subconscious creative soul deep inside.  That's good to know.


Thank you for checking in with my PHC for February.  I am looking forward to visiting my fellow travelers.  As always big thanks to Kat for providing the vision and space for this to happen.  I wonder what's in Kat's side mirror.  Always seems to be something.



26 comments:

Tamar SB said...

This is gorgeous! Just gorgeous! I love your story behind it too, perfect choice!

Deborah L. Tisch said...

Wow.

I think you have just given (at least for me) the Best definition of faith I have ever read. "..the answers still elude me, but I suppose knowing that and riding the wave, is faith."

Thank you for sharing this insight and this image.

Kathy said...

I'm mentally applauding you right now :)

Kay L. Davies said...

Things happened to me in my life, and it wasn't until much later I realized they were opportunities. When I realized what they were, and how I had responded to them, I realized those are the things which now define who I am, the person I always wanted to be.
I love your definition. It's perfect.
K

Kat Sloma said...

Susan, you are in my side mirror! You and so many others are always faithful companions, joining me in the crazy impulses of my own creativity, like Photo-Heart Connection. I am lucky to have you along. I think there is a deep message for you here. Maybe it's not about trying to figure it all out in your head, but following your heart through those instantaneous impulses. This is an awesome shot, I love how it's abstract yet I know what it is. Thank you for sharing in the Photo-Heart Connection.

Leanne said...

Love this image, & love what you've been thinking about as you look at it. Not knowing what's coming next can be very unsettling, but I guess being able to reflect on the journey can be a time of growth & patience.

gina said...

This is a very moving post, Susan. Isn't it amazing what one special image can elicit from us? Being in a time of transition can be hard, but it sounds like you have figured out how to ride the wave. Best wishes!

Deb Medina said...

I love this instantaneous impulse, it stirs me to listen to that part of my heart more often. I love how the darkness engulfs the picture, but that there is light that I see as hope and can feel it calling. Faith is a good thing to have in times of darkness.

Becs said...

Such a beautiful image, I love those spontaneous shots that end up being the most meaningful. Love your words too - lovely definition of faith and I know how hard it is to wait for those headlights to arrive, but they will.

Kathryn Dyche Dechairo said...

Powerful post, the image takes on a whole new meaning when accompanied with your words. Happy surfing. x

lisa said...

A truly beautiful phot-heart connection Susan, ans somehow I know those answers will come to you.

Sending you wishes for a wonderful weekend!

Sherry said...

Very cool photo & the story connection is great... now I guess I'm having pizza for lunch (or brunch).

Brenda said...

Susan - your writing here is so profound and emotional and moving. It is so difficult being in a place where the road ahead is so unknown, the way is dark and you aren't sure what comes next. It takes courage to stand in that moment and trust. As far as those unplanned shots that happen in the moment - yes, those are the ones that matter.

RainCityGirl said...

I can see why this one speaks - I can see it too. something about its character the way the lights are behind you illuminating your transport to what lies ahead for you. Its a beauty for February's PHC. Great choice!

Lori said...

Instantaneous impulses...embrace them when they come along with open arms and allow them to carry to your next adventure. Love your photo and love you writing that goes with it, so touching.

tidbitsandtreasures2011 said...

Your image is stunning in its starkness and simplicity, and your words leave me almost breathless, waiting for how and when you discover your the next part of your future.

Cathy H. said...

A beautiful image and a touching post! You have defined "faith" so beautifully. Your posts always touch me, you're a very talented writer and photographer!!

seabluelee said...

Marching to the beat of a different drummer here, I guess. When I look at this image, I feel something a little frightening about it, a tension, like being overtaken by something unknown that might or might not be dangerous. Perhaps it's because I (literally) don't see well in the dark. Or perhaps it's because I do know where I'm going, but it's still a little scary.

I know your "instantaneous" impulses result in beautiful and compelling images. I know you will find your way, or it will find you, and I'm pretty sure it will be beautiful and compelling, too.

Kim Stevens said...

I really love your thoughts here- Night is not standing still, nor is the darkness.....Love that! And what a provoking image too!

Wonderful post!

Phyllis said...

What a beautiful photograph. I think of those coloful splotches of light in your photograph as the angels who are always with you on your journey. Thank you for sharing.

La Principessa Errante said...

Wow - stunning. The photograph, while excellent, isn't what catches you, it is the film noire quality, the knowing that what you see is only momentary, there is something waiting to surprise you in the very next second. Your story is so perfect with the shot, the question is there - what is it that I know is coming but can't define. It will come, whether you are ready for it or not, embrace it. - Really nice work on all levels with this post.

Laura said...

Wow - such an amazing post. Your words connect so beautifully with the image above. I, too, am in a place where the future is somewhat elusive, but I'm slowly learning to trust and have faith that things will appear as they see fit.
Enjoy the ride. :)

Irene said...

Your words gave me chills. That always suggests a truth to me. That you are unsettled yet 'riding the wave' is a courageous move. Enjoy each wave.

kathyL said...

Very cool shot. Enjoy riding that wave, too. It's usually when we stop trying to direct the flow, stop forcing things, that the world opens up for us. Keep listening. It brought you pizza and wine for a start - that's not bad!

James said...

A very powerful image!

Bo Mackison said...

Ah, night moves. And often it is also the night that speaks to us, silently. Lovely spontaneous capture -- I think those are some of the best. Not planned, but seen so clearly.