Pages

Followers

Friday, May 25, 2012

May Selfie Time

Linking with Christy, the Urban Muser for this month's selfie self challenge. 

In The Picture



I started {in the picture} with no expectations, no self-imposed goals or restrictions, no idea if self-portraits would appeal or not.  Here we are 5 months in.  Because I gave myself no rules, I haven't broken any rules.  Brilliant!


There is a monthly suggestion. Suggestion, not requirement, to allow participants to expand away from their "go to" stuff and try something new.  This month's was to insert oneself into a local landscape.  A couple of weeks ago, I realized I hadn't tried that and had better move my buns to get it done. (There is bumper sticker potential with that phrase me thinks)

Drifter {20/52}
Drifter {20/52}

I'm really pleased with this image.  Being here on the east coast, it's not always easy to find an open western facing exposure for good sundown.  This is a stretch of two-lane highway along open plains where people move along at 50 mph.  I did had to choose my moment carefully.  Funny I've been doing this selfie thing for long enough it was only later I considered how goofy I may have looked running in and out of the street with my short legged tripod set in the shoulder .  What we won't do for {in the picture}!


Fields Collage
Fields Collage

I also stepped off the highway and took this open grasses shot which I turned into a collage.  Doesn't look quite as desolate.  Selfies can tend to have a sense of loneliness.  Self-one-you know?


It's been a tough month for me, lots of up and down with the mood.  Earlier in the month I tried capturing what was going on in my insides, outside.  I think that is something that taking a bunch of selfies allows the photographer to do....really see-the good, bad, and the ugly.  Or maybe it's only me that's looking that hard.

Nothing Left {18/52}
Nothing Left {18/52}

No landscape here I'm afraid.  I'm not showing my mom this photo....that will trigger too many "what's wrong" questions, and perhaps chicken soup.  I took this in early May on the rottenest of days.  I'm feeling better now.


One thing I had a tough time with was focus.  My self-timer allows a 10 second window, and finding some mark to set focus on and then jump into is difficult.  My camera doesn't allow for a remote hand held so this last image, although a pretty setting, is too blurry for my taste.  That's OK, something to strive for.

Low Tide
Low Tide

Those are my takes for {in the picture}.  Jus' sayin', it's never too late to join in.  You might even like it.
Thanks to hostess Christy too.  Have a wonderful weekend.

22 comments:

shirley said...

I love your collection this month! Great job with the theme. The light in the last one is fabulous. Have a great weekend!

Kat Sloma said...

Yeah, focus was an issue for me this month too. The smaller we are in the frame, the harder it is to have the right focus point! Of course, without a remote that's even harder... I love the one of you walking along the road. It has such an expansive yet soft feel with the light. Wondeful job capturing all the ups and downs Susan!

Carol Blackburn said...

Susan, I hope you've got the weekend off and enjoy some fun in the sun.

Deborah Tisch said...

Your comment about "the good, the bad, and the ugly" touched a spot in me. I think this project is definitely good in that is allows us to see all those things about ourselves - especially the good that we often minimize or overlook.

In focus or out of focus matters not to me, 'cause in this case I like all your selfies.

urban muser said...

as usual you got some great ones this month susan! thanks for linking up at {in the picture}.

as for your focus problem--someone told me this trick once but i admit i have never tried it: bring the camera off of the tripod to the place where you are going to be in the photo and focus the camera back on the tripod where you left it. then put the camera back on the tripod and go back to the place you were standing when you set the focus. since the distance is the same the focus should work. i have no idea if this will make sense when you read it, but hey, i'm trying here!

Linda said...

Love, love, love these! Susan, you are positively a master at this!

Jo Murray said...

You dod well, love the collage. You are right about it looking less lonely.

momphotographer said...

they are all wonderful. I do not use remote either. and I came to liking those blurry photos of myself. I always try as long as I finally get a shot which is the less blurry from them all.
As for the future, you could have used a big stick (branch) something you could stick in the ground in the place where you wanted to stand and focus on that. Even you could have put a shoe or a jacket on the grass and focus on that. I always have to get really creative with that :)

Sassyangelac said...

Nice collection--very soulful.

gina said...

Glad you're feeling better, Susan. Your selfies this month reveal some of your moods -- so well done! I love the field images and the last one, blurry or not. I also do the 10 sec sprint for my shots -- makes for a extra challenge, no? I like your no rules, no expectations. Happy weekend!

lisa. said...

All of these are wonderful Susan, but my favorite is "Nothing Left." So much emotion in that one.

Cathy H. said...

Another wonderful set! I feel when you post your self-portraits you always capture and give us a piece of yourself! They're not just photos, they're the inner you!! Love all these, the field shots being my favorite!

Laloofah said...

I love your "Drifter" and "Fields Collage" photos (which look like they could have been taken out in my neck of the woods - ur, fields - in late summer!) and laughed at your description of running in and out of the street to get your self-portrait. I'm glad you weren't obliterated by a passing car in the process!

Your poignant "Nothing Left" self-portrait struck a real chord. I can sure relate, and have a feeling I've worn that same expression on my own face (and in my own psyche) more than I care to think about lately. I'm sure glad to here that you're feeling much better these days (me too!)

Teagan said...

I love the perspective in your first shot & all the parallel lines - the lighting is just beautiful!!

And it's brave of you to share the "catch-the-emotion" selfie. Those - especially the sadness - are the tough ones, but you've done a great job!

I've heard of a self-portrait photographer using a music stand as a stand-in (a pun!!) for focusing, but then in addition to running to your spot you also have to toss the stand. That's a lot of movement in 10 seconds... :)

Leanne said...

These are all great, it's really quite fun isn't it? I really enjoyed this months theme.

Ms. Becky said...

I believe that taking selfies when we're feeling raw - capturing that low point and what it looks like on our face - that's when the healing begins. I suspect you will come back to this (Nothing Left) many times, study it, and one by one those "floaters" in your mind will be a bit more settled as a result of having that moment captured forever. And that's the turning point.

Ms. Becky said...

I was so moved by Nothing Left, I forgot to write that Drifter is, in my opinion, one of your best photos EVAH.

Francisca said...

I womder whether you know just how amazing you are, Susan?

Brenda said...

Susan, you continue to inspire me with your honest and thoughtful selfies - with not being afraid to show ALL your feelings, the good and the difficult. And you have captured such a range of emotions with your photos - from loneliness, to possibility, to sadness, to searching, to yearning. An excellent and unique collage - love that layout and the repetition of the single image which makes it so very powerful.

I'm sorry it has been a difficult month. Here's to June and better times ahead.

Marji {RainCityGirl} said...

These are great!! you are really getting the poses down. i'm in love with that landscape where you live. Just beautiful. The photo Drifter - what can I say.... ah-may-zing!!!

Becs said...

Great set of selfies, the first one is my favouite - the vastness of the landscape and the colours of the sunset are amazing. I had the same problem with focus and although my camera does have a remote I discovered the reach of it is not very far so I was back and forth with the whole 10 second thing too!

pink sheep said...

susan...beautiful images! i continue to be inspired by your truthfulness & courage in your images. i'm still not comfortable capturing my emotions...irrational fears/insecurities, i know...but seeing the emotion that you so courageously put into your images inspires me to give it a try...THANKS!