Pages

Followers

Saturday, June 2, 2012

PHC

Linking with Kat for this month's Photo Heart Connection.  Never too late to join in.





I used to teach music, to little kiddos in elementary school.  It was fun....well, most days.  Still now, nearly 10 years later, there are songs and melodies that remain with me.  They are for the most part children's songs, but sometimes the prettiest or most touching music is very simple: a lovely melody sung unison, a song using the pentatonic scale (based on just 5 notes, rather than the customary 8), something soft and lullaby-like, something that sets a mood/scene, something that soothes, something you retain even though you haven't heard it in a very long time.

There was such a song that has been visiting me on and off the past month called "Sweep Away".  I had never heard it before I found it in the 3rd grade song book although it was labeled a folk song, and folk songs are generally well known.  I suppose it means something profound, but I like to let it just be.



Sweep, sweep
sweep away.
Sweep the road of dreams.
People say, that in the night
the turtle will talk it seems.
The turtle will talk it seems.


I chose the song for my students because it was a good vehicle for teaching the concept of whole note, but found myself endeared to it, just because.

Turtle Road {18/52}
Turtle Road {18/52}


I have been playing for several months now with layered collage.  Collage in some ways reminds me of reflection shots-because there is always "more there" than meets the eye.  Often my creations are enormously personal...too much so to share.  They are for me to ponder.  This one is personal, but I am comfortable sharing it and it is made entirely of my images.

There is a highway on the lower right and to the left a meandering walking path.  You must pause to see either.  I know those two opposites are about choices I need to make, a direction I need to take.  There are birds and trees, a sunset, and multiple me.  I find birds in my images often....not sure why and I note these are sitting, not in flight.

I never plan these collages, I just begin working on them.  What I place in them comes to me during the process-from inside, not from conscious thoughts.  That leaves the pondering part later-what the piece becomes.

As for a title...that always comes at the end, at that point when you "just know" your art is finished.  Surely "Sweep Away" plays a part.

My PHC this month is a little peculiar, but it is what has popped out as what I'm most connected to.
Thank you for reading along with my thoughts.  Your visit is always appreciated.

22 comments:

Kathryn Dyche Dechairo said...

Stunningly powerful image Susan and I'm so happy that you chose to share it with us. Love the reflective aspect of it in more ways that one. I really hope you chose to share more of these amazing creations with us. x

Sandra said...

I've always loved children's songs and know how they can turn around and around in our heads!
What an unusual and interesting collage. I love the colours - the sort of faded blues, lilacs and soft pink and those birds lined up are perfect! Could they be the chirpings of your mind?
To me, this composition looks like a dream you are having...
I'm so relieved that your blog is word verification free - they're getting worse and worse!

Tamar SB said...

What deep and meaningful thoughts! And a really interesting picture you put together.

Mary C. Nasser said...

What a wonderfully rich photo collage! I love how you created harmony with a variety of elements.
Although personal, I really like how it is open to interpretation, too.
Beautifully executed!

Marji {RainCityGirl} said...

This is beautiful for PHC. Isn't it amazing how our art can speak so deeply of ourselves. Its wonderful that you can understand the teachings this piece provides you. Things to ponder and reflect upon. Sometimes it takes a little time and other times its as blatant as a siren.

Kay L. Davies said...

This is real art, Susan. I knew it was you, but the collage doesn't scream "selfie" — in fact, it doesn't scream at all. It is soft and inviting, and pulls the viewer into it to see everything that's there.
K

Leanne said...

Wow, a great collage, there is so much to look at. I like reading your thought processes too.

nancyjean said...

what a beautiful artful collage, Susan. Your post and words are beautiful. thank you for sharing your work.

Linda said...

As always, Susan, your photos and your give much to ponder. Great collage...very thought-provoking!

Linda said...

You are looking better all the time! Looks like a fun time...and you are positively glowing!

irene said...

collage allows for the layering of images as our lives are layered. working as you do intuitively allows for discovery and delight. i enjoyed reading your words and your image.

Lori said...

So powerful yet calm and weighted at the same time. I am impressed by your collage abilities - this is really lovely.

Kat Sloma said...

I am sooo glad you shared this in the Photo-Heart Connection Susan! I can see how this piece would be connected with your heart. It is powerful, I see you in it, more than just your self-portrait. I know what you mean with these often being too personal to share. Creating collage with our own images can touch on things deeper than expected. I am so glad you shared this today. Where you are, who you are, in your heart.

Deborah Tisch said...

What a powerful image. Those birds on the wire, the multiple images of you, deep in thought, all of this creates a fabulous, moving collage. I sense your contemplation of what is to come, which way to go.

Elsie said...

I think its a great personal and very strong collage.

Kim Stevens said...

What an incredible collage Susan, very powerful in that you don't plan them, they just come to you and yet you find so much contemplation in it. I think our sub-conscious knows much about us. Thank you for sharing!

Becs said...

Such a beautiful collage - it really reminds me of a piece of written music with the birds on the wire - and works so perfectly with your connection. Lovely to read your process, thank you for sharing. You've inspired me to experiment with this type of collage too.

Brenda said...

Susan - this is really quite stunning - I am sitting here with fingers over the keyboard trying to come up with words to describe how beautiful I find this. Emotional and heartfelt with great depth both as a personal piece and as a work of art. You need to keep walking this road, my friend - continuing to discover your collage talents.

Paula said...

Wow, what a powerful shot! I am in love with these images, combined into one powerful piece of art!

Cathy H. said...

When I visit you blog I always just sit here and soak in your words and your images! This image evokes such a powerful emotional feeling. Thank you, Susan, for sharing this with us! Your collage is such a beautiful piece of art!

seabluelee said...

Susan, you weren't kidding when you said you'd done something different this time for PHC. I love this image, and you're right, it is like some of your many-layered reflections. Like Becs, I see music in the birds on the wires. I like the shapes created by the overlapping selfies. But my eye keeps going back to that tree, standing alone and reaching for the sky. At least that's how I see it. Thanks for sharing this piece of your heart with us.

MaggieGem said...

Wonderful and powerful image, great work!