Pages

Followers

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Rescuing Tula


Happy Dog
Happy Dog

This is my dog Tula.  Tula Dot.  She is a 6 year old rescue dog, I've had nearly her whole life.  Just not quite long enough to avoid her being enormously fearful, skittish, and timid.  Of just about everything, especially big trucks-UPS, garbage, dump trucks, construction vehicles.  She also responds negatively to the "beep, beep, beep" back up noise, so it's not just about loud noises.  She is totally fine with my drumming.  She does like people it just takes 20 minutes of patience to get on her good side.  When people are disappointed that a sweet faced girl won't interact I tell them "you could be Santa Claus and she still wouldn't come over".  It helps.

Anyway...Tula is most happy in places away from scary vehicles and crowds.  Get my little miss to the beach or a field or a trail in the woods-instant happy dog.  And don't think that her life isn't good.  She has it real good, from yours truly.



One Bum Leg
One Bum Leg


Two days back she had surgery.  A CCL-which is the equivalent to an ACL that athletes get and puts them out for a year.  So, my poor girl is all shaved in funny places and all wrapped up.  I'm feeling badly for her.  I think she's more stressed about the big scary bandage thingy that's totally different from the normal, please and thank you, than anything else.


Tula
Tula

I suppose no one wants to see a shaved doggy thigh, sorry about that.  Just proving that it's a big scary bandage thingy.


Sad Today
Sad Today

I suppose it's good that this wasn't from a sudden painful injury, it's a genetic problem (and it hopefully won't genetic over to the left leg).  Currently I'm feeling guilty and wondering if I did the right thing for my girl.  It's a couple months rehab....and of course $2,000 of MY money.  Yikes.  I guess I'll squeeze another year out of that 1999 Subaru wagon with 196,000 miles.


But how could I not?

Finding Happy
Finding Happy


Any little warm and fuzzy healing thoughts you'd care to pass through your mind sometime during your day, I'm sure Tula would appreciate.   Any thoughts that I might feel less stressed and be able to sleep tonight would be appreciated too.

21 comments:

Deborah Tisch said...

ohhhh....

Sending you peace and blessings, for both of you.

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

Awww, you can see the sadness in her eyes, but sometime you gotta take a step back to move forward. I hope she mends quickly!

Lisa Gordon said...

Awww, poor girl!
I am sure that when she is all healed and running again, you will know that you did the right thing for her.

Sending warm and fuzzy thoughts to BOTH of you, because it sounds like "Mom" may need them as much as Tula! :-)

xo.

Tamar SB said...

Poor Tula!! Our mini-poodle had major leg/shoulder/paw surgery at 6m after being hit by a car - hope Tula makes a total recovery - she looks like a sweaty!

Susan @ Sunflower Status said...

Such a sweet dog, I'm sure she'll be very grateful for the surgery once she can play in the woods and beach again! Hope you both get some good rest soon.

Jamie said...

Poor Tula - I hope she heals quickly.

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, Susan, lots and lots of good thoughts for you and Tula.
Our rescued dog, Lindy, isn't shy or fearful, but she does have her issues, and I'm sure she wouldn't like a large leg-bandage any more than Tula does.
Lindy has one malformed vertebra, which hasn't slowed her down much, but might one day cause a problem. I'm sure we'll do everything we can to avoid losing her.
Love and hugs, Kay and Lindy

Carol Blackburn said...

Glad you returned safely from your trip. Sending good thoughts and wishes for Tula's speedy recovery.

Linda said...

Poor Tula! I hope she feels better soon - and that you get some peace tonight. I had a rescue dog that also suffered from fears - took a lot of patience and love, but she was such a sweet dog it was all worth it. There is nothing sadder than one of our babies being in pain or suffering. Glad you are back - looking forward to hearing about the trip!

Kathryn said...

Aaaaah bless her heart, I think you could both use a big ole hug. Sending warm and fuzzies to wrap you both up in. xoxox

Kathryn said...

Aaaaah bless her heart, I think you could both use a big ole hug. Sending warm and fuzzies to wrap you both up in. xoxox

Leanne said...

She's beautiful and i agree how could you not. Hope for a speedy recovery.

Nadege, said...

Oh poor little things...hope she will be running in the fields real soon. A big hug from me.

Brenda said...

So sorry you both have to go through this.But I hope the results will be a success and she will soon be back to her normal happy self. And you with her. It is obvious how much you mean to each other.

shirley said...

Awww, I totally understand what she's going through (I had my ACL reconstructed 5 months ago), although she probably doesn't understand it all too well.
The good thing is that she will get better after that rehab. Hugs, prayers and good thoughts....

Anita Johnson said...

Our Bugsy, a rescue too, shares many of her fears...heart breaking. Always a $ dilemma with pets, but you did the right thing...hears hoping for rest and healing for you both.

smiles, Sharon said...

Ah your heart is showing through strong and true. Such a coincidence to read your blog this morning, as last night our daughter and hubby adopted a rescue dog who had been abused and battered. They have totally fallen in love with "Blossom"....she sent fun photos of her first day in their home. So seeing your beautifully rendered photographs reminded me of Ashley's new baby!!! Potty trained, yay.
Medical care for dogs is outrageous and few can afford insurance. I haven't spoken to my daughter about that as they are in graduate school and have zero dollars.
But you did the right thing. Love your tender words and pictures.

Ms. Becky said...

I've been wondering about Tula; I'm happy you posted an update and photos of her. She has the most beautiful eyes, I love her expression. Hopefully the trauma of this surgery will fade from her memory and life very very soon. She has the best mom in the whole world. Sending healing energy and thoughts to you both across the miles.

justine said...

she looks so lovely, poor little thing, I hope she feels better soon. If we were in the same town we could take tula and my two dogs and have a lovely dog walk and chat and swap camera stories etc etc....

James said...

Poor thing. I hope she recovers fully.

Sweepy said...

Tula, you made me weep!
Hang in there!