Pages

Followers

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Scavenger a la Cuba

Linking with Ashley for this week's Scavenger Hunt Sunday.  Can you believe that crazy mama be doing the SHS already?  Baby ain't but two weeks old and Ashley's back.  Can you say "type A personality"?  I think that's why I respect her so much.





It's only been a few days since I returned from Cuba after having taken more than 7,000 images.  I've pared that down to 4,400 that have some possibility and I'm sure that will shrink some more as the days go by. 

My main job was to take images of the choral group I was there with, but couldn't help casting my eyes about for other opportunities between activities.  I truly haven't processed many images yet as I'm trying to catch up with Lightroom.  I think it will be a much better, easier and sane way to tackle so many photos.  Hard to wait though.

Thought I'd make my hunt this week from some things I collected while there that I processed early.  Too hard to totally wait.


Havana Waterfront
Havana Waterfront

Water:  Take away the La Cubana Fortress and this reminds me of home.

Sidewalk Decor
Sidewalk Decor

Petal:  A lone petal found on a neighborhood sidewalk.

Safe Fruit
Safe Fruit

Fresh:  At a local market.  Had to be very careful what to eat.  Bananas and mangos were "OK".  I rather like that mango juice.

Eight Umbrellas
Eight Umbrellas

Eight:  At an opera show in the midday sun.  The show was so good several chorus members sat in the bright sun under parasols.....vs. para agua for when it's raining.

Red Bike
Red Bike

Calm:  I like the solitude of this image.  As the sun moves down, the streets shift from quiet to busy.  Locals wait-smart.  Here's a lone cyclist in Cienfuegoes enjoying that time period between the levels of activity.


These images don't feel very "Cuba-ish", so I'll add a bonus shot that meets none of the topics for this week.  I just like it.

Street Sign
Street Sign


That's it for my Cuba inspired scavenger for this week.  Now back to studying up on Lightroom so I can put that into effect and get some of my favorite photos sorted and processed.  Wish me luck.  Call in the national guard if I don't surface after a few weeks.  Have a great day.

27 comments:

Laloofah said...

Welcome home! Wow, was that two weeks already? I'd lost track (better not count on me to figure out when you've been missing long enough to call in the National Guard, lol). I hope you had a great time - looks like you did!

Fresh, local mangos and mango juice, ahh ~ can't beat that! I can see why that first scene made you feel at home, (and a bit extra fortified). :-) But the last scene? !Muy Cuba!

Good luck with your post-trip editing, I know how daunting a task that can be, but fun as you get to relive your adventures.

Tamar SB said...

Wow! Susan, what a gorgeous place! I cannot wait to see more! Welcome home!

Lori said...

I love these! It makes me want to go there! Calm is amazing! I love it!

MG Atwood said...

I had a chance to go to Cuba, and it didn't work out. Love your shots!

Cathy H. said...

I've been waiting for a few of your Cuba images!! These are all great, I love the first one and the lone bike rider! Can't wait to see more, so study away!!

Nicki said...

I would guess the temptation to photograph 'Cuba' would lead most of us astray from the primary purpose of the trip. Good job with this week's words and nice glimpses into the Cuban culture.

Brooke said...

Susan - these are fantastic. I think they are all CUBA-ISH! I can't wait to see more. I wish you luck with the sorting and editing. GHAH... why do we do this to ourselves?!?! :D
Keep 'em coming.....

Brenda said...

Welcome home! Can't wait to see what you and your camera discovered. If these scavanged images are any indication, it will be a treat. Favorite is the bike rider - gorgeous yellow diagonal line and the perfect moment.

S. Etole said...

Enjoyable set of photos. Blessings as you do your processing.

TheChieftess said...

I'm amazed!!! I thought you just left to go there and you're back already!!! Looks like a fabulous trip!!!

Honey Mommy said...

Love your water and calm pictures! They are so lovely! I also really love the last picture.

Ms. Becky said...

Brava! I especially like the last shot - the grit, nationalist flair, and the lone person walking. The first shot is fabulous too and I agree, when I initially saw it I thought it could have been taken in your neighborhood minus the background. the light is splendid. have fun with that Lightroom - I hope you don't lose any hair...
happy welcome home my friend.

Leanne said...

Yes I love your bonus shot too, also love your 8 umbrellas.

Lisa Gordon said...

Welcome home Susan!!
I hope you had a wonderful time.
Love your shots here, and I look forward to seeing more.
Happy Sunday to you!

Kathryn said...

Wow, seems like that went by fast. Glad to have you back home. Gorgeous shots.

Ida said...

Very interesting set. It's good to see other parts of the world by viewing blogs like yours.
I like your Petal Shot and the Calm shot the most.

gina said...

You're back and sharing your photos -- hooray!
The bike shot is great -- wonderful POV. That street sign is classic, I love the contrast of the buildings behind it.

Nadege, said...

A fantastic collection...They are all wonderful compositions.

justine said...

did you have an amazing time? I love your shots, they are so vibrant. I can't believe you can only eat safe foods there? one day I will go there. With lightroom, it's very simple if you keep it simple. I just use the clarity button on the right and the punch and sharpen button on the left, you don't need to do all the photoshop bells and whistles. The presets are so good as well and I learnt the other day that if you are in develop mode just hit the V key and your picture will go to black and white and hit V again to go back to colour!! I had been making virtual copies to do the swap but this is much easier.

Kathy said...

Welcome back, and I can't WAIT to see what you post for us all to see of Cuba. What an experience of a lifetime you must have had. I would have been in heaven as I am a Mango-holic, haha. Those umbrellas all in one place is quite the shot my friend. And I love that bonus shot...so full of "Cuba"...if that makes any sense :).

Sweepy said...

Woof Susan!
I'm back for a two month paw-leave and you left for Cuba? And Ashley had a baby!

I can't be gone for long without you guys springing a woofy surprise!

Rosie Grey said...

Welcome home again, Susan! Such a great selection of photos - I can't wait to see and read more about your trip!!

Nancy Claeys said...

Wow -- you do have quite the task ahead of you. What a great set of photos, Susan. How neat to go to Cuba -- I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Welcome back! xo

Ashley Sisk said...

Can't wait to see all your Cuba photos - so far, I like what I see. I will say it can be difficult to choose favorites from a trip like that - I recommend just editing day by day and seeing what turns up.

smiles, Sharon said...

You out shoot me, my friend. When I travel I don't quite hit that mark! It is so easy to delete in the beginning, then each round gets more challenging. How fun a choral group in Cuba...the world is softening in that area I hope. Wonderful photographs, and all of them will bring back endless memories.

James said...

These are really good! The bottom one really says Cuba even if it didn't really say Cuba. :)

Francisca said...

Nice mix here. That looks like a fallen pink kalachuchi flower... better known as frangipani tree. :-)