Pages

Followers

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sign of the Times

Linking with Kat for this month's Exploring with a Camera. 


This month's topic....signs.  I totally dig signs!






Between having a hobbled up dog and having taken more than 7,000 pics in Cuba, my camera has been resting most of the time.  I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, why add to the stress?  I do however have lots of signs "out back" in the nether reaches of my photo files.  I thought some of those might be fun to share....because signs are everywhere.


Trample?
Trample?

Old signs can be kind of funny.  I found this one on an old barn one day when I was showing property.  BTW....they didn't buy this one.

Shaker Farm
Shaker Farm

Not so sure this is about the sign, but I often think a sign helps create a mood....real or imagined.

Dusk
Dusk

Neon signs are so colorful....and lobster signs?  Well anyone who hangs out one of those this time of year is sure to get some business.

Palace Diner
Palace Diner

This "ladies invited" sign continues to interest me, and scare me a little too.

Broken Dreams
Broken Dreams

There was something so incredibly sad about this sign, I had to capture it.  Looking at it again makes me feel sad.

No Parking
No Parking

Apparently a literacy problem.

Temptation
Temptation

More signs here than first meets the eye.


Making Art BW
Making Art BW

One of my favorite kind of signs-graffiti....but the message on the left is what caught me.


I guess that's enough to prove that I really do like signs.  They appear in my images, even when I'm not thinking about it, but I think it may be a good challenge to be more aware of signage.  I'm sure to find some great shots.  Thanks Kat.  I enjoyed this exploring.  What am I saying?  I always enjoy exploring.

21 comments:

martinealison said...

Vos photos sont extraordinaires et insolites... J'aime particulièrement celle du panneau avec "imagine" !

Un gros bisou et si je ne passe pas avant mon départ vous rendre visite, je vous dis à la mi-septembre ...

Kat Sloma said...

And I always enjoy seeing the results of your explorations. So many great signs here! I love the Shaker Farm one... a subtle addition that gives a sense of place, making the photo than about pretty flowers. Broken Dreams is a perfect title for that sign, very sad. And maybe the owner of that truck is from Italy, because No Parking signs don't usually mean too much. :) Thanks for Exploring with a Camera this month!

Tamar SB said...

Great signs! They are all amazing!! When I hear the word signs I first think about ASL!

Deborah Tisch said...

I am enjoying your examples of signs. And your commentary, of course, just makes it even more special. You never fail to bring a smile to my face.

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, I love the "trample" one. Such a good word, making me think of someone in big boots hell-bent on destruction, jumping up and down on fragile flowers.
And the broken dreams sign makes me sad, too.
I hope all will be well in the aftermath of the dog surgery. Hugs to the patient from me, and a very sympathetic woof from Lindy.
K

Linda said...

You always do the best job with these hunts! Your signs are excellent - love the "no parking" one - and your comments make the photos so much more fun!

gina said...

What a fun collection of signs, Susan! The shaker farm is really such a lovely image. You're right about the imagine sign -- it really tears at my heart. I think many of us are finding that we take more photos of signs than we realized.

Justine said...

I love your signs and they look so much more interesting from the other side of the world.

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

I like signs too. I agree, 'Imagine' is quite sad.

You should participate in the signs, signs meme at http://signs2.blogspot.com/

Carol Blackburn said...

Love the signs...and, I see this as a sign you will be back full swing shortly. Big hugs to Tula.

Brenda said...

Susan - such a fabulous collection with your trademark wit and emotion in great evidence. I agree - there is something so sad about the "Broken Dreams" of imagine. But then something so amusing about the ladies being invited and the parking of "No Parking". Smiles and tears - the whole range of emotion. Well done!

Lisa Gordon said...

Great choices Susan!
I especially love "Broken Dreams."
I hope Tula is recovering nicely.

seabluelee said...

The photos - paired with your commentary - are wonderful as always. Broken Dreams is so poignant I can hardly stand it.

Leanne said...

I like broken dreams too, & the no parking sign with the shiny ute parked there.

Francisca said...

As an occasional contributor to the Sign meme Woody points to, I share your interest in signs. I had the same vision as Kay for trample; perhaps it's a nice British word we Canadians are familiar with, or perhaps it's just our age. :-) The No Parking could be a credibility problem rather than a literacy problem; I might be inclined to ignore it, too. And for many, these are indeed sad times with broken dreams... but let's keep a stiff upper lip, shall we, and keep on imagining... Make art, not war: I can live with that!

[Thanks for stopping by, Susan... have not had time for blogging much these past weeks while I am away from home... yet again. But apart from some tedious business matters, and taking seemingly forever to get past feeling like a jet lag zombie (I'm quite close to your neck of the woods), life is clicking along fine for me. Am scrolling down to hunt for your Cuba photos... I sure hope you had a terrific time! 7000 images to sort through would overwhelm me, too! Did you see any of the place other than through your lens? LOL! Hey, take it one image at a time...]

Linda R said...

WOW.. I really enjoyed seeing all your signs.. My favorite has to be the Shaker farm. Love the DOF on that shot..

Anita Johnson said...

I kept telling my husband to slow down this weekend so i could grab a few sign shots...my favorite signs are the hand-painted ones in the small towns we pass through. You have some great shots here. Hope you and Tula are getting some rest!

Rosie Grey said...

What a fantastic selection of signs, Susan! They are all gorgeous and such great finds! I hope Tula is doing well!!

Jess said...

I remember "Palace Diner" from the first time you blogged about it. (well, who could forget that?) Bizarre, isn't it!?

Cathy H. said...

Wonderful set of signs!! My favorite would be the lovely Shaker Farm photo! I love how the flowers frame the sign! Also, love the diner, but I'm like you I'd be a little leary of this one!!

Arpi said...

I agree there is a real sadness in the imagine sign.