Pages

Followers

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Cuba Photo Dump-Repetition Run Wild

Linking with Kat today over at the Kat Eye Studio for this month's Exploring with a Camera subject on repetition.  Each month Kat covers a different topic.  I find this one of the most helpful series out there in blogland for noticing what exists already in my images and focus as I take more.  It connects my thoughts with my eye....and that's a good thing.  Kat offers a variety of classes which I also recommend.  At least "Dew Drop Inn" to her site and look around a bit.


I walked the beach the other evening alone as Tula is still recovering from her surgery. (BTW we're up to "granny walks" down the sidewalk a few driveways and back).  God I'm already off track.  So...at the beach I didn't figure I'd find much repetition, but I could think about it anyway.  Holy schmoly was I wrong.  I realized repetition is everywhere; in nature, man made, and even in our minds and bodies.  I proceeded to think over life and how it repeats both in the good and the bad and blah, blah, blah. 

Kat mentioned a variety of possibilities: object, shape, color, line, message, light, and a combination of those elements.  I did find repetition at the beach, but mostly wanted to think about it and then check the archives.

Gray Waves
Gray Waves

Umm hello....they just keep coming.

Five Toes
Five Toes

Drip Castles
Drip Castles

Kayaks
Kayaks

I also went down to the harbor another day and found repetition in abundance.

Gangplank at the Wharf
Gangplank at the Wharf

I especially like this image.



I have been working diligently on Cuba images-talk about just keep coming and coming...phew.  I have put in 60 hours of editing thus far (I'm getting faster the more I do) and have plenty more hours to go, but thought it would be great to share a few that include repetition.


I haven't shared many Cuba shots because my primary duty is to get the chorus their photos first.  Here are some primarily atmosphere shots from the first couple days at the hotel, a tour of the Museum of the Revolution, and at the performance with two children's choirs held later inside the "Hall of Mirrors" at the museum .  I believe the tour company kept us off the real streets for the first few days while the chorus familiarized with the area. 


Terrace Dining
Terrace Dining

Late Afternoon
Late Afternoon with the Moon

Distorted Clarity
Distorted Clarity

Alignment in Yellow
Alignment in Yellow



In the Hall of Mirrors
In the Hall of Mirrors

Trimmed With Gold
Trimmed With Gold

Recording
Recording

Unexpected
Unexpected

(These children sing very formally. When they performed Finlandia with the chorus, they were delighted to partake in this kind of bow)

Hand Rhythms
Hand Rhythms

And later learn a fun hand jive from the chorus members.

In Thought BW
In Thought BW

Amazing dresses....and I don't even like dresses.
This little girl I found enchanting in this pose.

Little Shoes
Little Shoes

For Sale
For Sale

at the gift shop (110 women-I never saw so much shopping!)

Circle Down
Circle Down

Stair Stepping
Stair Stepping

....I love this stair stepping shot from above with cool light....hope the chorus will too.  Lynn's working the image for me and doesn't even know.


Curves and Lines
Curves and Lines


At the Curve in the Stairs BW
Stairs BW

I waited for this shot-quite awhile so people would get off the steps.  See those small dark holes above the curve?  Legit-bullet holes from the revolution.  Glad they didn't hit that glorious set of steps.


Voices From the Heart 164
Voices From the Heart

OK....this is repetition too.  A gazillion people.  Just imagine me running around trying to get photos of all these people!  Yikes!, but I did it.  I think I have a candid(s) of every person.


Thank you for holding on thru this photo novelette.  Now time to work on some more photos.  I'm looking forward to getting away from the polish, and working on some street scenes.

17 comments:

Tamar SB said...

These are simply stunning!!! Love that little girl in that dress. As a girl I hated dresses, now, I love them and so want to have a girl to buy dressed for!

Brenda said...

Susan - a wonderful repetition series. This is an element in which you excel. Love all your ocean examples, especially the drip castles and the "Gangplank" macro.

Also excited to see the initial results of your marathon editing sessions with your Cuba images - stunning, as I knew they would be. Love the abstract beauty of "Distorted Clarity" and of course, all the amazing architectural details, complete with bullet holes. You had such a huge responsibility, capturing the group and its activites while still shooting for yourself. I look forward to more Cuban images.

Leanne said...

Great repetition images, so many. Like Brenda I love the drip castles & the gangplank & also like the choir shots. I particularly like the shoes.
Great work with your editing. That's alot of time spent!

Carol Blackburn said...

Hi Susan, you must be overwhelmed with photos about now. They are all so special in their own ways. I hope Tula is better soon. Even old lady walks are probably lifting her spirits. I bet she is doggie dreaming of those long runs on the beach.

gina said...

Wow! I don't know where to start -- so many fabulous images. I LOVE the drip castles and the gangplank! I'm a big fan of stair shots, and yours are terrific! That "stair stepping" pic is classic, reminds me of something that Henri Cartier-Bresson did. Thanks for starting to share the Cuba shots -- sounds like you have quite a body of work to edit!

Deborah Tisch said...

It's really fun to see your images from Cuba, though I know it's just a small part of a huge collection. You are such a good photographer, Susan, and I'm inspired by your work.

Nadege, said...

Stunning work.

seabluelee said...

I hope you'll keep feeding us Cuba shots for a long time to come. I love so many of these! Terrace Dining is one of the best examples of repetition I've seen yet. I love the colors and the repeated shapes of tables, chairs, salt & peppers, and even the buildings in the background. I think the images that move me the most in this set are the ones of the children. There is something very touching about them. Beautiful work, Susan.

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

I love the Cuba shots and I'm looking forward to many more. I, too, like that stair shot with the beam of light, yet the details are in the shadows. Excellent collection!

Kat Sloma said...

Susan, I love your repetition findings! You're right, repetition is everywhere. We just have to see it and use it! Your Cuba images are stunning. Both the images of the choir and the "artful" images you've captured. I love the staircase at the end... just fantastic. Thanks for linking this in to Exploring with a Camera, I loved seeing them all!

Jamie said...

This glimpse of your Cuba photos has me craving more - they are amazing!!!

Cathy H. said...

Susan, this was a most enjoyable post!! I love the beach scenes, I so wish I lived by the beach!! Your images of Cuba are stunning! They had an amazing and gifted photographer with them!! I hope they know that!! You're amazing!

Arpi said...

These are all so amazing! I couldn't possibly choose a favourite from this stunning collection... makes me want to go to Cuba. Thanks for sharing :)

Anita Johnson said...

These photos are WONDERFUL...what an experience! I'm in the process of learning lightroom for editing...think it might speed up the flow for me. Too many wonderful photos to comment on...so I will pick one. I love drip castles. (o:

Becs said...

Great examples of repetition. Love the waves and the gangplank in the first set and your Cuba pictures are beautiful - the terrace and that lovely repeated pattern of chiffon ruffle in the little girl's dress really stood out for me.

Ross said...

Some really amazing photos that you have posted. I really like the gangplank as well as the stairs with the bullet holes from the revolution!

Lisa Gordon said...

All of these are wonderful, and what a great time you must have had.
"In Thought" is simply perfection!