Pages

Followers

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Photo Heart Favorite

Linking with Kat for July's PHC.

Hmmm.  Choose a favorite for the month.  Surely a favorite exists amongst my 4,000+ images from Cuba.  Several favorites.  Perhaps a favorite, or two, or three....but I just can't go there.  After studying and experimenting with Lightroom for a couple weeks I have started to process those images.  It is a daunting task and my first obligation is to the chorus I traveled with;  the documenting of their journey.  My favorites will have to wait patiently.


So I chose this image:


The Blue Swing
The Blue Swing


This little girl was at my niece's 4th birthday party.  I think she looks amazingly beautiful-like model beautiful and I like that she's looking straight at me.  I didn't ask her to, and I hope I didn't make her nervous.  Seems like a family birthday party is a safe place, so I hope she felt that way.  I took about 250 pics that day and I wasn't singling her out.

As I took photos that day I realized I'd learned something in Cuba-to be less shy about photographing people.  It has been something that I've been inching toward little by little yet still not fully embracing.  While in Cuba tho, it was my job to do that and therefore I found myself rather naturally, back in that mode minutes after arriving at the birthday party.  An observer, a fly on the wall, gathering moments and people.

In Cuba I learned to say "give me a smile" and because of that collected some dead on, face front shots, along with the subtle candids that I prefer.  It's nice to have a bit of both.

For the past few months, well even most of this year (can you believe it's August?) I've felt in a photographic slump-maybe not slump, maybe at a plateau.  I've wanted to grow somehow, but I suppose those things can't be planned.  Thrust into a "job", it happened unexpectedly-and in viewing this picture that suddenly dawned on me.  Therefore, it is my photo-heart connection this month where perhaps the photo part is a little bigger than the heart part, and I'm really OK with that.

Thanks for looking and the read.  See you in September-and that scares the hell out of me.

19 comments:

Tamar SB said...

She is stunning! You captured such a gorgeous moment!

Deborah Tisch said...

I'm so glad to be able to witness that growth within you, in this image. Beautifully done.

gina said...

Great capture, Susan! This photo is important because it's a symbol of your growth as a photographer. I am really looking forward to your Cuba pix!

Sandra said...

What a lovely composition- The lighting is beautiful and the little girl has such a sweet expression. Lovely!

Brenda said...

She is the very image of childhood beauty - and you captured that indefinable quality of innocence. I look forward to your journey into portraiture, knowing that you will give it the unique Susan touch.

Ginny said...

This is a lovely picture. It is interesting that we sometime lose sight of how we are growing. It is exciting when we do recognize it in ourself.

Rosie Grey said...

This is such a great capture, Susan! Looking at your photos I didn't get the impression that you were in a slump, by the way!!

Kathryn said...

Beautiful shot, there's something about a swing that always makes me smile and brings back so many wonderful childhood memories. As for a slump . . . I'm not seeing it, go easy on yourself.

geetlee said...

Hi Susan,
You captured this moment beautifully! I have been experimenting with portrait photography too and I admit it is daunting at times but the learning curve is great.
Cuba must have been a a fantastic experience for you.. so jealous :)
xo

Suzette Rothlisberger said...

Beautiful in every way!

xo ~ Suzette

seabluelee said...

This is a beautiful photo, and does look very candid. Even though she is looking at you, the image doesn't look posed. As for you being in a slump, as others have said, we'd sure never guess it from looking at your photos. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your personal Cuba pics when you can get to them. I know they'll be worth waiting for.

Linda said...

Gorgeous, candid shot, Susan! Even in your "slump" you are a stellar photographer!

Leanne said...

I love that she's looking right at you & glad you've had a bit of a break through with people shots. Well chosen for photo heart connections.

Kat Sloma said...

It's a lovely image of such a beautiful little girl. Great eye contact and wonderful details captured. But I love what it symbolizes to you even more - the growth you are finding in your art. Thank you for sharing in the Photo-Heart Connection!

Viv (modifica) said...

She looks like an old soul full of mystery a great shot and my step is being braver with my camera to take a risk.. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and thanks for leaving a lovely comment on my post
Viv (Desktop Dreams)

Cheryl M said...

Stunning shot and I agree, she has that model-look to her. I wonder what she's thinking as you're taking her photo?
Looking forward to seeing shots from Cuba!

Becs said...

Beautiful image and i love the growth it represents for you in your photography. A lovely connection.

Elsie said...

I love your words but even more I love your stunning photo, it must be very hard to choose one from 4000.

MaggieGem said...

Beautiful portrait...