Pages

Followers

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Photo-Heart Connection




September's edition of the Photo Heart Connection over to Kat's place.  A great chance to reflect on the photos you've taken over the past month, select one most meaningful to you, and share how much or little about why it touches you.  Thanks Kat.

Never too late to join in.  Never an obligation.  Fits me to a T.



Dad BW
Dad BW

This is one of the first photos of my father I've been able to "score".  Oh I've taken plenty....but haven't been able to catch one I like.  I think it's because he is an energetic and expressive person.  I have found I get all kinds of goofy-faced results when I take photos of people who use a lot of facial and hand expressions while talking.  In fact he's talking here, but he's telling me something on the "hush-hush" so he's keeping it low key.

My father turned 77 this past month.  He still works every day, drives with plenty of zip on the accelerator and without overusing the brakes, and is all go.  He knows everybody in town or so it seems as every week-yes every week-I hear "oh, you're John D's daughter".  I also am told I look like my mother, but that's a different story.  Seriously, I can't get away with anything without being noticed.  I am the type who prefers to be anonymous (that's anon-ah-mouse).

I work for my father in a business he adores and I can't stand.  I am frustrated at work and I feel badly I'm not more cheerful there, cognizant of the time I am spending with him, and how wonderful it is to have a boss that indeed loves you.  Mostly I bitch and moan and wish I were anywhere but stuck.

With that it mind, this image is a reminder of the good things about him, and the person he is that I sometimes overlook somewhere between the bitch and the moan.


That's my PHC for September.  Looking forward to visiting with the others....the stories are a pleasure to read.  The feelings behind an image are often just things we imagine.  It's nice to hear what a photo has to say from the viewpoint of the creator rather than from my take as an observer.

20 comments:

Tamar SB said...

This was so touching!! As we say in hebrew - to 120!

shirley said...

Well, his character certainly shows in the photo, and I love the story behind the photo.

Jamie said...

A beautiful photo and even more beautiful post.

Brenda said...

A beautifully captured portrait full of your father's personality. And a lovely post, full of love.

Deborah Tisch said...

I see why you love this photo of your dad...it is wonderful. What a blessing that he can still enjoy life and get around on his own.

Kathryn said...

I love this shot, so full of character and from reading your post it sounds as though your dad has it in bucket loads. Great post.

Linda said...

What a great shot full of personality! I love it in B&W! I can relate to the business end...I worked for my parents for many years...

Kathy said...

Smiling from ear to ear...thank you :)

Mary C. Nasser said...

Fantastic photo!
This photo could tell so many stories.
The composition is great, too!

Wishing you all the best,
Mary (from September Photo-Heart Connection)

Sandra said...

I love this expressive shot of your dad! You caught him perfectly!

amy b.s. said...

what an amazing photo. you can just tell he's someone that you want to spend some time talking and laughing with.

Becs said...

Lovely, expressive shot of your dad. A really touching photo heart connection, I really enjoyed reading it.

Indigo Janson said...

It was fascinating to read the thoughts behind this fun and very expressive photo of your dad. Can't be easy having a dad who is also your boss, but it's clear that beneath all that he means the world to you. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Cathy H. said...

What a wonderful photo of your Dad!! You certainly caught his personality! I enjoyed the story you've told. I think if would be very hard to work for my Dad even though I love him very much!

sherrygaley said...

I would give everything to be able to take such a photo of my father - he passed away at 62 - many years ago now - and I still miss him terribly. Enjoy your time with someone who loves you. Great post.

Francisca said...

Hey Susan! It's been too long since I've dropped by, and this was a great time to do it. Many layers in this personal post of yours. Among the things I admire you for is your courage and openness to show your vulnerabilities (especially for a self-proclaimed private person who prefers anonymity), and this post is a perfect example of that. I'm sure your relationship with your father is complex, even as it supported by a foundation of pure love. A wonderful portrait.

Elsie said...

I could be just jealous on this beautiful speaking photo of your lovely dad. It tells me somehing about him. Thanks for that.

Paula said...

A fantastic shot (love the black and white), and a fantastic post as well! You're very open, and honest, and I can connect here so well!

Kim Stevens said...

Such a beautiful capture here and heartwarming words to go with it! Thanks!

Kat Sloma said...

You captured an amazing expression here, I can feel his personality coming from it! I want to meet him. I am glad you are taking a moment to appreciate the opportunity you have to be with your Dad on a regular basis, looking beyond how you feel about your job. You are a lucky woman! My Dad passes away when I was 25, and there are no more moments like this for me. I enjoy reading about yours! Thanks for joining in the Photo-Heart Connection!