Pages

Followers

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Black and White



 
Workshop Door BW
Workshop Door BW


Skateboard Shadows BW 80/365
Skateboard Shadows BW 80/365



Spoon and Bokeh BW 77/365
Spoon and Bokeh 77/365



Contemplation BW
Contemplation BW




I've been processing a lot in black and white the last few months. Kind of don't know why....just cuz. Maybe I'm coming to a point where I'm appreciating something different in what I'm shooting; maybe I'm bored and I'm trying to change something, maybe there's no reason at all, maybe I'll figure it out later.

I know that I don't yet "see" in black and white when I'm taking an image and I know that I don't know exactly what calls to be processed in black and white nor do I know how to make the most of my black and white shots in the processing process, but I guess that means soldier on. Practice, practice, practice. I'll get to Carnegie Hall that way, right?



10 comments:

Kathryn said...

I love the drama that black and white seems to create . . . the contrast between light and dark. I know exactly what you mean when you say you can't 'see' in black and white, I'm the same.

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

I have ~12 prints of photos I took hanging at various places in my home. All by 1 is monochrome.

Love that skateboard shadow with the pattern in the sidewalk!!

Carol Blackburn said...

Simply beautiful!

TheChieftess said...

Love your excursion into B&W!!! One of the beautiful things about digital is you can decide to go B&W after the fact, rather than specifically going out to shoot it that way... When I begin browsing a day's shoot, some photos just pop up and say "I'm supposed to be B&W!" And others simply morph into it after much contemplation!!!

You might want to check out http://theworldinblackwhite.blogspot.com/ and
http://blackandwhiteweekend.blogspot.com/

Deborah Tisch said...

These are all fabulous, but that very first one of the door, with the lovely texture of the paint, that one is my favorite. Just excellent! Keep up the good work.

Brenda said...

It must be something in the air - I find myself processing more and more of my images in black and white as well. Great minds think alike or process alike or something like that :) Your shots are all wonderful monochrome examples - love the incredible texture on "Workshop Door". Beautifully done. Whatever the reason for this black and white interest - keep it up!

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Hello Susan! I followed you over from Linda's blog. I enjoyed my visit here. Enjoyed your words and of course your lovely pictures! I am looking forward to more visits and seeing more of your snaps.

Cathy H. said...

I love black and white photography!! You have a special eye for capturing the perfect contrast needed to convert to B&W!

Laloofah said...

I love the wine glass bokeh! So pretty!
I don't "see" in black and white at all. I'm enchanted by colors, like you are by light, and almost never think to "B&W" any of my images. I need to learn to do that! I think you did a wonderful job with these.

Francisca said...

Hmmm... right, I don't often see the monochrome shot ahead either. But my honey has an amazing eye for that, and when I get him to vet my processing, it's quote standard for him to tell me to crank up the contrast. I have lots to learn still. Lines and texture always appeal to me; super door shot.