Pages

Followers

Monday, December 3, 2012

Photo Heart Connection







Linking with Kat for this month's Photo Heart Connection.  Haven't heard the word whether or not Kat plans to continue this into 2013, but I hope so.  It's a meme that I enjoy posting and sharing in.  Kat if you're looking for votes, I vote yes.





Almost Like Summer 70/365
Almost Like Summer 70/365



Here's November's winner for my heart.  An odd thing I notice about this PHC exercise; it depends on mood, frame of mind, time of day, surrounding circumstances, etc when you're flowing over a month of photos as to which strikes your heart.  Last night I looked through and came up with a different image.  This morning as I post, the above takes the cake.  Feelings; they're an interesting mixed bag.

I'm having trouble being at all excited or moved or inspired while I'm taking images.  I'm glad I decided to pursue a 365 (I'm about 90 days in and still on board).  The daily task-interesting choice of description word-is keeping me out there and going.  The darkness of the season is truly dragging me down.

From time to time out on the trail, and usually rather unexpectedly, I become inspired and things click-oooh, bad unintended pun.  The shot from above was from such a day.  On a whim I decided to head down to the harbor to see if I could "get it done" for the day.  Instead inspiration hit and I came up with a nice collection of images.  No one was around other than a lobsterman power washing his boat.  I had the docks to myself, yucky bait smell and all, and enjoyed the solitude.

I've been working a lot with low POV shots, perhaps I need a different result when shooting the same old stuff.  The sun was warm despite a strong wind, the sky blue. I was stretched out flat at the end of the float trying to work the bright light in the sky, the shimmer off the water, the line of the vapor trail, and the boats themselves without turning them to silhouettes.  I think I managed.

But what I remember most when I review this image, is reflected in the title.  In this season of short days and long dark nights, a bonus day of light and warmth, and an unexpected inspiration, is a little gift from something bigger than me, to me.

16 comments:

Kathy said...

I hope she continues them too. Altho I don't participate every month...YOUR PhotoHeart Conection posts are some of my favorite of yours :)

Viv (modifica) said...

Ditto I hope Kat continues . Love your photo I am always drawn to the water.. I love the effect of almost silhouettes and can almost feel the sun on my face...
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment...

Kat Sloma said...

Yes! I'm definitely continuing this in 2013. I love it too much not to! I should have told you all that. We'll keep going! It was interesting to read about your experience with the 365 and the word "task." But your description of inspiration hitting reminded me of something that happened in my journal last week. After days of barely writing anything, the words suddenly poured out of me. Pages and pages of them. And I realized that's why we show up for a daily practice, so we are ready for inspiration when it comes. Whether it's a 365 or a journal, we are allowing the possibility of inspiration. Great Photo-Heart Connection this month!

Sandra said...

I like the words: " a little gift from something bigger than me, to me." That says it all really, doesn't it? Being in the right frame of mind and catching the right light for the photo you show here. It all sounds good. I love the sun flare!

Tamar SB said...

Gorgeous POV! Love this shot, makes me long for summer (even though I am a winter gal!)

Leanne Barnett said...

beautiful!

Brenda said...

Beautiful PHC image - I understand all the elements that made this image important to you - why it spoke to your heart. As far as your 365 project - for me, the "task" idea is what makes it work. I respond well to assignments - it does the trick of getting me "out there", especially now when the weather and the light are less than inspirational. And there are certainly days when I do it only to check it off my "to do" list. But I mostly do it for the days when inspiration strikes like lightning and I wouldn't miss it for the world - like Kat says, that is the reward for the daily commitment.

Kathryn said...

There is something about the trails in the sky that hold my gaze before I take in the whole image. I love it when you talk about your shots and can just picture you lying face down trying to get this POV. What we do for a photo right?

Linda said...

Not only a great photo, but wonderful, thought-provoking words! Sure have missed them while I was suffering from the great funk!

seabluelee said...

It was interesting to read your title and description of this photo, because when I first saw it, it felt cold to me. Not emotionally, but temperaturely. Is that a word? Maybe that's because I have been feeling cold lately, even though the temps are really not that bad. Anyway, it's a beautiful photograph, the bright sun and the contrails drawing pictures in the sky and the boats nearly in silhouette.
I admire your discipline in doing a 365 and in sticking with it even when you don't feel inspired. I wish that worked for me, but such a task only makes me feel rebellious. Maybe I will try it anyway.

Deborah Tisch said...

I love your statement about a little gift coming to you from something bigger than you...

That says so much about the inspiration of seeing an image that touches us deeply.

Very nicely written, and love your image!

Becs said...

I love your image, love the sun flare and the reflected sun dancing on the water. I really enjoyed reading your words too - unexpected inspiration is always welcome and I love how you've captured it.

Anita Johnson said...

The darkness of the season is getting to me too...the landscape, not Christmas. I need some inspiration... or a vacation. I actually would welcome snow. I can't believe I just said that.

Norma Ruttan said...

There is everything I love about water shots...light, movement, texture (of the waves) and the beautiful blue sky! My book club friends and I were just talking about SAD, which seems to affect many of us.
I read just recently on-line that one should take a walk outdoors, no matter the weather. To me, if the sun isn't shining, why would I want to be outside if I don't have to be? Except to take pictures, of course.

Bo Mackison said...

Love that you are pursuing a photo a day to reignite inspiration for you. A bit of water and a tugboat certainly are an inspiring subject.

Cathy H. said...

Beautiful image! You captured the light just perfect!! I can see why this meant so much to you. Those bursts of inspiration are magical!!