Pages

Followers

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Blurry Business

Linking with Kat for this month's Exploring with a Camera.  I love this series and always learn something.  Thank you Kat.


 




Nothing like being a last minute Joe on this blur thing.  I've seen several other's posts about blur and kept wanting to do it.  'Bout time.

The longer I take pictures, the more I enjoy blurred shots.  Maybe it's a different way to self-express or I'm sick of taking the same scenes over and over and making abstraction is a nice distraction.  Maybe it's just a normal thing that hits most photogs at some point or maybe when first taking photos blur seems "wrong" and time teaches you it's really not.  I'm open for interpretation here.  Besides if you like it-you can say it's art.  Have you seen some of the super funky sculpture of late?  Jus' sayin'.


Fluorescent Light
Fluorescent Light

For a long time I've enjoyed shallow DOF images;  I use them a lot.  This was a mistake I ended up liking.  That pink in the backdrop is a woman at the library with her head and back covered with a beautiful scarf.  I wanted focus on the magazine, and to have her more visible.  I shallowed my field too much, but I like it anyway.  BTW....was not at all reading that magazine...trying to be sneaky.


Orange Door 139/365
Orange Door 139/365

Add a low POV to the shallow DOF and this is a shot I like to take and seem to rely on often.  (OMG with the acronyms)


Dusk Rush 149/365
Dusk Rush 149/365

Here's a night shot that gave a sense of "rush hour" with the subtle blur.  I like this too.  I don't like when lights get zig-zaggy.  That says to me I should have used a tripod-but I'm sure some others are able to create awesome images with that.


Bramble BW 133/365
Bramble BW 133/365


It was super foggy yesterday and my appointments went over time.  Very frustrated not to get some fog images, but here's one from the last foggy day we had.


Reds 150/365
Red 150/365


And since I got zero images yesterday during "day" light, in order to get my 365 I had to play inside.  It gave a nice chance to mess with a longer shutter.  No I am NOT doing the dance of the 7 veils please and thank you.  I don't know if I like this image or not, but it's different.  I shall call it art.


In the Red Door
In the Red Door


Reflections are a form of blur I've used a lot.  This may have been the first type of blur I used regularly.  I've backed off this, not because I don't like it, but to try other things.  However, sometimes I see my dashing self reflected and must stop to record the moment.  Wish I photoshopped that dirty window smudge off my nose, but otherwise this is a fun shot, especially with that cool window on the other side of the room.


Neon Night
Neon Night

Zoom, Zoom.  This was a lame shot that I colorized to do something to salvage it.  Art.  Jus' sayin'.  Are you seeing any theme in me trying to get my 365 done after dark?  When does daylight savings start?


Danger
Danger


And then there's the intentional blur.  I need to remember this more often.  It creates a cool mood.  I tend to use it more as a fall back option when I can't seem to get the shot I want or anchored with something nearby in focus.  This one was intentional however.  I did have to go back to fall to find an example of that.  Perhaps I'll be mindful to try some of these in the next few weeks.


If you're still reading this long tome, thank you kindly.  Tomes R Us.  But, when it's my blog I can do whatever I want...and call it art.  Have a great day.  Blur on!

8 comments:

Kat Sloma said...

Susan, LOL. You always, always make me smile. (Had to throw my own acronym in there to add to yours!) Lots of great blur here! I love the out of focus "Danger" but I think "Neon Night" is my favorite. There is such a sense of motion and I love the color. Oh, and that smudge on your nose? Would have never noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out. Thanks for joining Exploring with a Camera this month! I can't wait to see what you come up with next month for Part 2.

Kathryn said...

I love your explorations and the trying of new things. I had a go with some blur the other day . . . maybe just maybe I'll use it in one of my posts.

Laloofah said...

LOL @ ur OMG. :-)

Fun post, I enjoyed all of your various examples!

I like to imagine that the passage in the library magazine is actually describing the blurred woman in the pink coat! Makes it a bit mysterious.

I LOVE that fog photo!

And you're NOT performing the Dance of the Seven Veils? Really? (Methinks thou dost protest too much!) ;-)

That wavy glass in the old door sure created a wonderful reflection of you.

And that last photo, "Danger," reminds me of the photos one sometimes sees on the freaky tabloids on display near store cash registers - usually accompanying a report of a Bigfoot sighting. :-)

Tamar SB said...

I can't choose a favorite - they are all awesome!

Carol Blackburn said...

Ha, now you know how I see without my glasses on. Blur! Wonderful shots, Susan.

Leanne Barnett said...

Great blurry shots Susan, I like the neon night blur too, & it does look like you're doing the dance of the seven veils!

Kathy said...

Oh I just love blur shots...it's so fun to capture motion on a still object!

gina said...

It might have taken you all month, but you got some great blurry shots here, Susan! My fave is bramble, and your Dusk Rush really does capture the feel of the city too. Well done!