Pages

Followers

Monday, January 21, 2013

P 52

Happy Monday.  If there is such a thing.  I suppose if one really loves their work maybe.  I used to love the job I had, but Monday morning still wasn't a favorite.  It is MLK day.  Maybe you have the day off and that makes it a Happy Monday.


I'm rambling.  Linking with Tamar and Gina for Project 52.  You're welcome to join in too.




I'm in a slump.  I've been in them before, all too often.  Not really worried about it, but it is frustrating.  It's not that I don't want to shoot photos, I do.  I'm just kind of blah on the whole thing.  I could blame it on the cold, darkness, or time of year, but I don't think that's entirely it.  I'm most thankful that I'm doing a 365 and that I don't want to bail out on a project I've made a commitment to.  So I shoot.....and often without much enthusiasm.  Sometimes roaming my house in the evening trying to find something, anything to take a photo of.  Sometimes going out in the last light of the day to "get 'er done".  I don't think that's the right attitude for an artist, but I'm confessing it is mine.

BUT, sometimes these blah, blah, blah moments still produce photos I am happy with.  I have to think that by continuing to work on this everyday and pushing thru that my skills are getting better, even if it doesn't feel like it.  And I must say, I get so many kind and sincere comments which I do so appreciate....it sort of shocks me.  My fellow bloggers out there are an amazing support team.  Like having a gazillion (well, 150+) coaches.  Thanks y'all.  It really helps.


Here are a couple of my blah, blah, blah moments from the past week, that seemed to come around.


Pencils 137/365
Pencils 137/365

I love hands....these are my own looking worn from winter, but I like the way the light rims the outer edge and catches the pencil tips. 

Truth Is 136/365
Truth Is 136/365

I hate snow but I do love low POV images.  I was thinking the other day I shouldn't rely on them so often.  Then I thought "why not?  What's wrong with going with something that you like"?  Besides, who wants to hang around in this mess trying to make a nice photo? 
Truth is; snow is only pretty when it's falling.  Otherwise it's just a mess.



Rocking Chair 140/365
Rocking Chair 140/365

Sometimes just trying to catch the last light of the day is about all there's time for when you procrastinate.  But....I seemed to make this one work.  Funny how that happens.


I guess that's enough for my outtakes that became intakes....or however that should be said.  There used to be a show called "bloopers".  These are bloopers turned unbloopified.  I'm still not saying it very well, but I think you get it.  As I mentioned before, Happy Monday and thanks for stopping by.

21 comments:

Tina´s PicStory said...

nice shots! love the had too :)

Kim Cunningham said...

Nice week of shots! I love falling snow and the moments of a blanket white before anyone touches it. Then, as you said, it becomes a mess. Still, something so peaceful about snow.

Tina´s PicStory said...

... my photos are made in germany near to stuttgart :)

Laloofah said...

I have those frustrating schlumpy funks too at times, and there is seldom an explanation for them. I've recently come out of one, in fact. I've learned to accept them as part of life's cycles, and try to practice extreme self-care when they roll around. You sure captured some great photos in spite of everything, nice that your creative juices continue to flow! I love the pencils! Great lighting in both it and the rocking chair photo. (Pretty red bookcase in that one - and is that Tula's green tennis ball I see by the dog statue?) :-)

I agree with Kim's comment about snow. Snow when it's falling (if it's not falling sideways, that is), and virgin, untrammeled, unsullied snow are beautiful. Out here the snow usually has diamonds in it that sparkle in the sun. Mesmerizing! And I love those sticky snows that cling to everything - when the thinnest wire will have 2" of snow balanced on it. But filthy, flattened parking lot and street snow? Not so much. How low did you have to get to take this photo? I'm picturing you laying on your belly in the parking lot, and wonder what the snowplow guy must have thought! :-)

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

We all get in a funk, I've been in one for quite some time. Sometimes, running up against the deadline forces creativity in new ways, it's not a bad thing!

I like low POV as well, but I'm getting lazy. I was considering adding a right-angle view finder so I can avoid laying on the ground.

Pride In Photos said...

The rocker image is my favorite. It looks like it might of seen a few years and that I LOVE! Is that a doggie statue in the background? Also adorable...Don't be so hard on yourself...we all get in slumps. Even the best photographers will tell you this.
Laurie

gina said...

I wouldn't call these outtakes or bloopers. I love the pencil shot -- the light and composition give it a special feel. Your snow pic really communicates the downside of having snow. We all feel the blahs some days.....soon you will stumble over an incredible image and the excitement will come rushing back.

Renae at simple sequins said...

hi Susan! I saw your entry over at P52 meme and had to see what this post was about. I love your POV shots. You are talented.

Denise said...

I couldn't have said it better myself...I'm DEFINITELY not even close to taking the lovely pictures you take, so I can't compare myself in that aspect..But, as far as walking around the house trying to find something interesting, ugh! I'm envious of your so called "blah" pictures...
I LOVE, LOVE your perspective...
Can I have some? Ha!

Kathy said...

I'm just gonna attribute your ho-hum 'tude to the Pats loss :( Bah humbug! By the way, I adore those low views..as long as you don't mind laying down in that slush!

Mary Gene Atwood said...

The perspective is great in these.

Tamar SB said...

I'm with Kathy - it's all the Pat's fault! Hope the ho-hum feeling leaves soon! More snow this week - ready to hunker down?

Karen said...

I think we all go through periods like that...either with photography or sometimes with life in general. I would never know from looking at these photos that you are feeling blah! I agree about the snow. I love your rocking chair. The patch of the light on the carpet is gorgeous. Greasy job!

Karen said...

Haha...and by "greasy" I meant GREAT!

Norma Ruttan said...

I get tired of hearing the voice in my ears trying to make me more positive. Your photos don't reflect your attitude. But I do have simple tastes of what makes me smile, such as your pencils shot. Love looking at fresh snow, but hate driving on it and detest looking at it when it gets to looking like your "Truth" image.
best wishes for sunshine, however it comes, for your week.

Cathy H. said...

If I could only do so well with last minute 365 shots!! These are wonderful. I love how you used the light in each one of them!

Brenda said...

I'm sorta sharing the "blahs" with you. Just getting it done each day because that is what you do when you are doing a 365. And you are right - sometimes the bloopers "unbloop" and become images that make it all worthwhile. It is the stick-to-it-ness that makes this meaningful. Beautiful light and messy snow. It works for me. Keep on keeping on, my friend! That's all we can do.

Kathryn said...

I love low POV shots too, nothing wrong with them at all. In fact they often intrigue me. Feeling in a bit of a funk myself . . . think its this time of year. Don't seem to have the time at the moment either which frustrates me . . . hey ho.

Carol Blackburn said...

"Snap out of it" as said by Cher in "Moonstruck". Hmmm, unfortunately I feel more like Nurse Cratchet in "One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest". Hmmmm, next time you are in a funk pull out that little bulldog or cat with the bandana on and photo that or else I'll lend you my gnomes and you can place them precariously and give them a whirl. :)
I think "Bloopers" has been replaced with a show called "Ridiculousness" that's a bit crass but pretty funny. Don't ask me what channel it's on..........I don't pay attention. Happy Day!

packmom said...

We all go through these phases but I have to say your keepers that would be out takes are way better than any of mine. I love your perspective and eye. Keep plugging along!

smiles, Sharon said...

Your hand/pencil photograph is very touching, sentimental...a soft touch despite the hardness of the lead. Great editing...and also the rocker legs. That is pretty low shooting, did you take a nap while you were on the ground? JK....The highlights on the rocker create an intriguing focus, just like your hands shot.
You did good girl. smiles: sharon