Pages

Followers

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Photo Heart



Linking with Kat today for this month's Photo Heart Connection.  





Been connecting my heart to my photos with Kat for quite some time now.  It's good practice for me and renews my interest in writing on my blog.  Writing that has slipped  lower on the priority list during the past 6 months.  I forget how much I enjoy writing.

My chosen image....

Room at the Top of the Stairs BW 108/365
Room at the Top of the Stairs BW


This is a rarity.  It is an image I took when I went to photograph a house I recently listed to sell. Work photos and personal photos are two widely different things for me.

This particular home belonged to a family I knew growing up.  Prior to that it belonged to another family I knew growing up.  In between those two families, my father briefly owned the house to help the family moving out who had hit tough financial times.  It strikes me to see my father's name on the deed to this house he never occupied.  My father is not loaded with money.  He is however a realtor loaded with compassion and he has a kind heart.  Sometimes that comes 'round to bite him.  Hard to believe people take advantage of kindness-but many others are enormously appreciative and therefore he continues his good deeds.

This house needs renewal. It is by today's standards functionally obsolete.  This door is the entry into the childhood bedroom of the man who listed the house-now an estate.  When he first showed me the house it was obvious the warm memories it holds for him.  This little bedroom will only fit a narrow twin bed jammed under the dormer with spare space for a small bureau or desk.  I could see that it was once "his world".  He told me how he'd read books with light coming thru the window that you see.  He remains an avid reader.

Houses have "vibes".  At least they do to me.  I'm not particularly tuned in to a sixth sense, but it is common for me to have a positive or negative feeling to a home when I enter one.  Some feel well loved, some feel sad. Some are filled with light, some are dark and dingy.  I note this more so when when the house is empty and has no furnishings.  A house oft has a pulse of the lives lived there lingering in the space, walls, creaks, and cupboards.

While needing much updating, this house has a feeling of light and love-and it is that which I find appealing about this image. My intent was to take a photo of some of the remaining features of interest, but  I think I captured the warmth of the family who lived and loved well in this small space. 


If you'd like to tap into your own photo-heart connection, all are welcome to join.  For me this monthly practice always feels good.  You might try it too.  And thanks for reading my connection.

20 comments:

Kathryn said...

I definitley 'feel' things be it people, places or buildings. It was interesting when we were looking for our home in Ohio (30 houses in 3 days). Talk about a range of emotions. There was one house that felt particularly bad and we learned that the husband and wife were getting a divorce. You could slice the bad energy with a knife. I love this capture and it does convey so much emotion, I love the story behind it too.

Norma Ruttan said...

your image took my breath away! there is something about the crystal doorknobs that speak to me of a well-love home. then your description of the bedroom reminds me of a similar bedroom in my cousin's old, but beautiful home.
I hope it sells to a family who will love it.

Tamar SB said...

what a beautiful story! what an amazing connection. I hope this home finds the right owner soon.

Linda R said...

Your Dad sounds like an amazing man with a Big Heart. I really enjoyed your story, Thanks so much for sharing it with us..

Awesome photo..

Hugs~

Brenda said...

It is good to have your words back here in this space - you are a good storyteller. I like reading about the history of this house, your own personal connection to it through your father's kind act - it gives a richess and depth to the beauty of the image. I think you did capture the love and light of this home.

Deborah Tisch said...

I really enjoyed reading this, Susan, learning about how you sense the vibe of a home...that is so cool. This image brings back so many memories of my own childhood home. My hope is that whoever decides to purchase the house will also create good memories there.

Kathy said...

Ahhhh...beautiful shot AND thoughts. I also can "feel" a home. When we moved a couple of years ago, this "talent" absolutely drove the Better Half crazy!!! There was one home in particular that had tons of potential...but I sensed an overwhelming sadness within its walls. I later found out that the owners wife had passed away at a young age, leaving behind two daughters.

And I so enjoyed learning a bit about your father. What a kind and generous soul. That is EASY to "sense" from your words :)

gina said...

Beautiful image and fascinating story to go with it, Susan. I love the light reflected in the glass doorknob and the way you framed it. After visiting so many homes in search of our new one, I got good at getting a feel (vibe) for each one. Houses do have stories to tell, thanks for sharing this one. Now I'm missing my former home, with its glass knobs.

Sandra said...

I just love this glass knob with seemingly inner light reflections helped by the luminosity from the window. I really liked the story about this door being the entry into the childhood bedroom and the warm memories it holds for the man who once lived there.
I know what you mean about the vibrations of a place and I love being in tune with them. I agree that one can feel the sort of lives that have lived in a home.
Lovely heart-connection and I like that the photo is in black and white.

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a beautiful photo. I agree that many houses have a distinct feeling. I think ours tends to "restful."
Rinda (visiting from PHC)

Carol Blackburn said...

Oh what a nice story. Love that you told about your father's good deed. On another matter, can you get me those glass door knobs if new owners toss them out. :)

Becs said...

Love this poignant image and the story that goes with. Beautifully told.

Gilly said...

Hi Susan,
Your father sounds like such a kind man - what a lovely thing to do for someone. It warms the heart to hear about people being kind and compassionate, instead of all the usual negative stuff we're bombarded with. The world is full of good people if we care to look.

I really enjoyed reading about your feelings about the houses you see, and I'd love to see you write more like this. You must have so much to say about the things you see, and there must be many stories to go with the houses, and with your job in general.

Nice picture too!

Kat Sloma said...

You managed to capture the light and love in this house, with that one image. What a powerful story, and I agree spaces have energy. This house will find the right family to own it and bring more love to it.

Such a powerful post. You write, "For me this monthly practice always feels good." For us, it feels good to read your words. Thank you so much for continuing the practice of the Photo-Heart Connection. We are all better for the time spent with you here.

Miriam said...

This is a wonderful image and back story. I feel things too, mostly people things, feelings, atmospheres. Visiting from PHC, so please I called by.

Viv (modifica) said...

A wonderful story to know who lived there and know the history is valuable primary source material, I love social history and you have portrayed it beautifully with your photograph. it is true what they say 'Every Picture Tells a Story'... Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog and leaving a comment.....

Cathy H. said...

I love this image! It's simple, yet so beautiful! I love the story behind your image! It sounds like your father is a wonderful, caring man! My grandmother's house had gorgeous glass doorknobs, I was able to salvage one before their house was sold!

Jamie said...

A beautiful image, but I also found myself pulled into the story you painted with your words. I found myself wanting to see the house.

Hope all is well with you - I've taken a bit of an unplanned blog break - hoping my voice will come back again soon.

Elsie said...

What a beautiful photo, so simple but it welcomes us only by the knob. I agree that houses has vibes. I hope this hous gets new owners wit a lot of good vibes. So good to read about your memories. Thanks for sharing these.

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-17-and-secret.html



I hope you can make it!

Cheers,

Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick