Pages

Followers

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Wrapping Up 2012


It's like a giant Scavenger Hunt!!


Linking with Ashley for her annual (or so it's become) Memories, Dreams, and Reflections.  A great chance to wander through your images over the past year and relive some moments.  Thanks Ashley.




Sorting Images
Sorting Images

This past summer you may remember I went to Cuba.  I came home with more than 4,000 pictures, and ended up processing over 1,000.  I thought I would go a little Cuba heavy with my list here.  I made some mini-sized contact sheets of the pics so I could see a large group all at once.  This is about 1/3 of the photos I'll be selecting from to complete a slide show and photo book.  Wish me luck!




New Kicks
New Kicks

1. Me:  I just did a big fat post about a year's worth of selfies, so I'm going to stick to feet here.  Boring you with more pics of my beautiful face just doesn't seem right.


Sun Worship
Sun Worship

2. I Love You:  "Princess P".  My sweetie last February drinking in the morning sunlight.



Jeanne and Katie
Jean and Katie

3. Still Laughing:  Love this photo.  Jean is blind-and one of the funniest people ever.  She's known to play tricks on the sighted.  I don't know that she's still laughing; I think she never stops.  Katie was Jean's roommate and guide throughout Cuba.  Aces to her.


The Lights at Night 115/365
The Lights at Night 115/365

4.  Winter Wonderland:  A recent scene from the town I live in.  This was before we got a foot of snow, but it still has the right flavor.


Turning Four
Turning Four

5.  Birthday: My niece at her "pinkalicious" 4th birthday party.


Team Laura BW
Team Laura BW

6.  Friends:  Laura and Laura....could it be anymore obvious that they're friends?


What If He Could See, We?
What If He Could See, We?

7.  I Was Inspired:  Reflection in his glasses...This young man in a Cuban orphanage sang several songs while the 110 members of the chorus listened intently thinking "the next Andrea Bocelli".  Very inspiring; very moving. 

Less Is More
Less Is More


And on his shirt-this understated message.

Daffodil Sea {16/52}
Daffodil Sea

8.  Spring Fever:  A local cemetery has a huge hillside filled with colorful daffs.  It's a lovely welcome to much needed Spring.


Tomas
Tomas

9.  Travel/Vacation:  One of my favorite afternoons in Cuba was the hour I spent with Tomas as he pedaled me through the back streets and alleys of Cuba.  I'll never forget it.


Silhouette
Silhouette

10.  Summer Days:  The fan is the weapon of choice in Cuba.  Must have; along with plenty of water and salty snacks.


Tasting a Broken Heart 76/365
Tasting a Broken Heart


11.  A Day in My Life:  Light.  It's always a better day for me when there's sun, especially when I have time to chase it with a camera.

Isn't She Lovely?
Isn't She Lovely?

12.  All Smiles:  Another beautiful child at the orphanage in Cienfuegos Cuba.


Foggy Morn
Foggy Morn

13.  Autumn Harvest:  Fessing up there's no harvest here, but this is a shot that's become a fave of mine from a dreary autumn day in October.  Fog can be such an inspiration.


A Wee Hand
A Wee Hand

14. Family/Home:  Common sight to see people standing in doorways seeking relief from summer heat.


Tentative 
Tentative


15.  Celebrate:  I am truly going to feel celebratory when Tula is finally back to 100%.   That rear leg is still trying to regain all it's glory.  Hopefully soon.  It's been a long time since July 16th.


Good Morning Cienfuegos
Good Morning Cienfuegos


16.  Let's Do It Again:  I would totally like to wake up to this gorgeous sunrise again.


Leon
Leon

17.  I Miss You:  My friend Leon moved from Maine to California this year.  We used to photowalk and breakfast together.  I miss her.


Sculler BW
Sculler BW


18. Beautiful:  This early morning scene in Cienfuegos Cuba I found completely beautiful and serene. Not only that it was nothing that I'd imagined I'd see while traveling in Cuba.

Another Happy Bride
Another Happy Bride

19.  Dress Up:  Not only the bride was dressed for the wedding, but her car was too.  At Hotel Nacional there are multiple weddings per day on the weekend.


Distorted Clarity
Distorted Clarity


20.  Macro: I don't shoot macro-but I get some close ups.  Clean glasses at a restaurant with outdoor seating.


Intersection
Intersection

21.  Holidays:  On July 4th, there were no fireworks for me.  Instead the gift and celebration was capturing great street scenes like this.

Columns BW
Columns BW

22.  My Favorite:  BAH!  How can someone choose a favorite-unless it's chocolate over vanilla?
This was an image I thought might become my favorite.  I don't think so anymore.  There's just too much competition.

Wake at Dusk 98/365
Wake at Dusk

23.  Don't Ever Change:  I see so much changing in the small community where I live.  Too much catering to tourism at the expense of who and what this area's foundation is.  I think my words are of someone getting older-wiser is debatable-but aware what's being pushed aside for a glossy lifestyle may have value that can't be readily seen.


Little Piggies BW
Little Piggies BW

 24.  Just Because....so There!: My nephew's feet.  Love this shot from last summer.

Selfie
Selfie

25.  Hopes and Dreams: Keeping it simple.  Stay calm and carry on.  Not putting too much pressure on myself would be a good thing for me to keep in mind for 2013.  Just get through it.




Thank you for pouring through my 25 images.  Phew.  This was a lot harder than I thought it would be, but totally worth it.  There's still time for you to take another look through 2012.  I think you'll be happy you did.

11 comments:

Tamar SB said...

I love that silhouette! And all those amazing images from Cuba! I felt like I was on another vacation!! Happy and healthy!

Lauren said...

I LOVE these so much - I think my favorite is "the lights at night" - that would look so cool on a canvas. :)

Norma Ruttan said...

I would have a really hard time picking a favorite of yours. I wish you a peaceful happy new year and best wishes for the book!

Nicki said...

I have scrolled through some pretty amazing pictures today - so many leaving me inspired to do more with my photography in one way or another. But your pictures - well your pictures have MOVED ME. They speak to the soul and spirit as well as being pretty darn amazing. Thank you!

Wishing you are Happy 2013.

Tezzie said...

What an incredible look at your images from 2012. Your Cuba photos have such feeling, and makes me want to know more about the subjects in them. I also love the little peeks into your own life...dear friends, and special pets (love that photo of Princess P!!), and of course your selfies :)

You're so right about what a wonderful process it is to go through the past year's photos. It makes me remember those little moments that get overshadowed by the 'big stuff'...and it makes me so grateful for the life that I'm living.

Looking forward to seeing more of your powerful images in 2013!!

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

What a great collection, love the red Chuck's!

With that many photos, you need picassa or lightroom to manage!!

Linda R said...

WOW! Lots of amazing photos. I really enjoyed seeing your really Big Scavenger hunt photos. Hee Hee..

Wishing you an awesome!

Brenda said...

Ah, finally a chance to see more of those thousands of Cuba photos. And well worth the wait. I hope you will share the photo book when it is complete. Absolutely adore "A Wee Hand" - such a great story you have told with only the minimal elements.

You had a pretty great year, as evidenced by your photo collection or as it is fondly known "The Really Big Scavenger Hunt". There is such impact seeing these all together. Wonderful, wonderful!

Rachelle said...

I L-O-V-E this collection! The images from Cuba are truly inspiring (content, angles, art). It looks like 2012 was amazing for you.

Jess said...

Your Cuba photos are Amazing. You really captured a flavor in them... they're such a sensory experience. My fav is the "wee hand" in the doorway. Took me a minute before I saw that little hand, the icing on the cake of that image. Truly fantastic!

Leanne Barnett said...

What a wonderful set of photos! I really enjoyed scrolling through these. Here's to keeping calm & carrying on- an admirable goal for the year.